Excellent interview of JJ (president, GUE)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
...from a recent interview on www.e-nekton.com

DIR ("Doing It Right") was born from the knowledge that even seemingly simple diving can get pretty complicated. The easier and more systematized the procedures become the less room there is for confusion, mistakes, and unnecessary risk. Think of any operation, group, activity, or process and try to imagine how it could be as efficient or safe were each member to do their own thing rather than working under a common platform?

The idea of standardized procedures and the benefit they provide are hardly new concepts. SCUBA is one of the few activities in which the established infrastructure is so resistant to the idea of standardization.

DIR does not inhibit the individual. Quite the contrary, it empowers them. If I know how your equipment is placed, how you share air, how your equipment works, then I can be a much better dive buddy. If I understand what you will do in a situation, how you will share air, that you will not intentionally leave me alone, how you will get my attention, what sort of gas and diving limitations you follow, etc., then I understand all of the key components of our dive.

These items are no longer part of the variable aspect of a given dive and free each diver to focus on the true risks and troubles of each dive and the dynamic aspects more beyond our control, including: wind, current, visibility, marine life, gas consumption, etc. It's truly amazing just how much this focus enables divers to enjoy themselves and to concentrate on the dive itself. This is proven every day in GUE's classes, and by the massive interest and support surrounding DIR.

A very enlightening interview...

One comment of note was...

Regardless of how obvious DIR advantages become, large numbers of people continue to become passionate converts on a daily basis.

and I was wondering if there were any hard data to quantify "large numbers" for us?

NetDoc once bubbled...
One comment of note was...
That comment seemed oddly worded to me.

And I don't have an answer for your question Pete... though I am sure that the *large numbers* is rhetorical rather than actual when compared with the numbers of new entrants into scuba through the other mainstream certifying organizations.

It amazes me that the only four DIR divers I have ever personally met were some of the most obnoxious a**holes I have ever met, and were more concerned with calling everyone else a stroke and telling people how stupid they were, then trying to give people accurate information on their diving style, and then I read this interview of the guy who helped start it all, and he seems nothing like that at all. I actually enjoyed reading it and thought he relayed the message very well without having to resort to name calling or chest beating. I think I could take a class and be much more open minded with a guy like this than someone who tried to force things down my throat "just because" that's the way it is. Why is there such a big difference in attitude between JJ and all of these guys and gals running around slamming everyone who isn't like they are?

Thanks for the link!:)

Can't answer that question, but in our DIR Fund class, which had half a dozen or so long time members of GUE/WKPP there was absolutely no attitude of "just do it because". Quite the contrary, if they saw something non DIR they would politely and inquisitively ask why the person had that particular piece of gear or configuration. Then they would suggest other ways/gear, etc.

I just ask that you do not use those 4 folks you met as any ambassador of GUE/DIR.

Tommy

The GUE instructors I met acted much like JJ. They were Andrew Georgititus, Mike Kane, and Dan Mackay). There was no arrogance or confrontational attitudes what-so-ever. They were soley committed to answering questions and being challanged. They can prove why they are right and have you demonstrate why you are wrong anytime someone is willing to get into the water with them.

Nice article.

Mike

Why is there such a big difference in attitude between JJ and all of these guys and gals running around slamming everyone who isn't like they are?

Maybe because the people you dove with felt the need to try to make themselves feel like better divers by putting others down. JJ and co. don't really need to do that since they have the dive resumes to prove what they do and do not need to belittle others to feel that they are "real divers". You are right...they are all really cool in the classes and in person..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom