Exercise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver30

Reaction score
I want to start exercising but i dont no wat to do to help me breathe better wilst diving and also to be better built so if anyone does any exercise for these reasons could u drop us a line thanks.

diver30 :)

I find that improving my general fitness just plain helps with the diving. I start every work day and most Saturdays at the gym for a minimum of an hour doing cardio exercise and weight lifting. A normal workout will include 30 minutes on a stepper and 30 minutes on an exercise bike, or 10 minutes on a stepper and 50-60 minutes with free weights and machines to help tone up my upper and lower body. Swimming is and all round exercise, but I don't have access to a pool, so I exercise all my muscle groups to train. Strenght is important to a diver as the gear is heavy and you can't always dive from a boat, sometimes you need to walk a bit to the water, and the training helps. Since I started this 18 months ago, my resting heart rate has gone from 62 to 54 or less, and my blood pressure has dropped. My heart rate recovery has also improved a lot.

All of this coming from a 48 year old man who has spent the last 7-8 years mostly sitting behind a desk....

I swim 5-6 miles each week - I have found that it has really helped aerobically and with my stamina in kicking (especially useful while finning hard in a current).

Running would help too, I guess - but I hate running. Got to be too hard on my knees.

Swiming for general fitness and finning
Running (hill work) to build lung capacity
Yoga for breathing

I do a variety of exercises, but I think your breathing thing is more related to realxation than overall fitness. One thing I always do is to ride my bike & walk with a backpack fulla books & sketch pads. It's hella heavy, but it keeps me literate & entertained if I get stuck somewhere for a while. When you walk up stairs with the pack on, it's a workout in itself.

I was over 50 when I started diving & as out of shape as most guys my age, since no one wants to be the first one out of air or have the biggest gut on a dive boat loaded with pretty mermaids I changed my eating habiits & began exercising, I feel much better & it has helped my air consumption. I ride a recumbent bike every other day for 30 minutes for aerobic conditioning and stronger legs the two most biggest helps for diving. I also use an ab machine & free weights every day for my upper body & midsection more help for self esteem than diving. Start gradually if you are out of shape but stick with it, it WILL pay off!

Be warned. Getting fit can be addictive and expensive. I like to run but outdoor running in the Utah winter, well I purchased a treadmill $1200. For Christmas my 14 year old wanted a weight training set, $250. I used it much more than he did and found that I really like weight training. The $250 set became grossly inadequate by my birthday in May. My wife got me a Nordictrack set to the tune of $800. I took to biking to work this past year (12.5 miles each way and a great workout). I have had the bike for a long time but it is in the $400 range. Add a bike computer, light, rack, saddle bag, hydration pack, replacing shifters, gears, etc. and the bike is a few hundred dollars a year. But that's cheep considering what a wonderful thing biking to work can do to your positive mental outlook for the day.
What I've read seems to come down to this. For the average "out of shape" person start with 30 min every other day. In other words start slow. It is OK to feel sore or stiff the next day, but pain means you over did. If you keep with it your body will adjust to the increased demand and the soreness will go away. In other words " No Pain No Gain" is not true. Pain means you damaged your muscles.
There are two main fields of exercise, cardiovascular and strength training. Either should improve your breathing and lung capacity, but I would think cardiovascular would make the biggest improvement in breathing.
I do cardiovascular one day and strength the next, an hour each day. I exercise six days a week (like the song- never on Sunday). I like cardiovascular so much that to slip in a late night 30 mile bike ride on a strength training day doesn't bother me much.
When I started I was bad out of shape. I have not reached my goals but feel great and look so much better.
Let us know what you come up with.

Diver 30
Once you start doing some exercise you will feel so much better. You should start off slowly. Work your way up. Get out and walk or jog in the evenings or early mornings when it's not so hot outside. Try to work your way up to 30-40 minutes at least 3 or 4 times a week.
Weight training is good also, but if you have no weights at home or can't make it to a gym, then do things like sit ups, push ups, squats, lunges, etc. These can easily be done on your living room floor. Drink lots of water!!!!!!! Eat right!!!!!! If you exercise but sit around and eat junk and drink pop all day it won't help!!
Good luck!!!
:wink:
AMBER

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom