Expat Yank visiting Yongala in mid-april

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlier

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Work takes me back to Townsville in mid-April. Similar to my previous trip, I will arrange two days diving with Yongala Dive. My question - what is the weather like in mid-April regarding sea surface conditions and water temperatures. During my drive from Townsville, it would be fun to see a few weird marsupials ;-)

Barring a storm, surface conditions should be ok. April is the arse end of cyclone season, but we've had nothing at all this summer, so it looks like a fizzer. Doesn't generally start picking up with the winds until late May. Water temps this summer have also been a bit warmer than the historical average, so probably around 27C or so by mid-April would be my guess. Again, that's pending no serious monsoon activity between now and then, which could bring the temps down a bit. I'm diving a 2mm locally at the moment.

Regarding marsupials, your drive should take you past Billabong Sanctuary. Local wildlife sanctuary where you can cuddle marsupials and whatnot. Drop in for a couple of hours in either direction. You can google the opening hours :)

WetPut - thanks for the information. Easy enough to bring a might light SE Asia wet suit and my thicker 3mm suit as well. Thanks for the heads up the Billabong Sanctuary, I probably drove right past it and never saw the road sign.

Barring a storm, surface conditions should be ok. April is the arse end of cyclone season, but we've had nothing at all this summer, so it looks like a fizzer. Doesn't generally start picking up with the winds until late May. Water temps this summer have also been a bit warmer than the historical average, so probably around 27C or so by mid-April would be my guess. Again, that's pending no serious monsoon activity between now and then, which could bring the temps down a bit. I'm diving a 2mm locally at the moment.

Regarding marsupials, your drive should take you past Billabong Sanctuary. Local wildlife sanctuary where you can cuddle marsupials and whatnot. Drop in for a couple of hours in either direction. You can google the opening hours :)
good to know considering coming over from NZ in july holiday whats that like for time of year cyclones - can you recommend dive boat operator to check out please, how many days diving should I allow -

No cyclones in July. Season is basically Nov-Apr.

I strongly recommend diving with Yongala Dive out of Alva Beach. You can either hire a car and drive from Townsville (about 80 mins each way), or catch the Greyhound bus to Ayr and the dive shop can pick you up if you arrange in advance. Details on the website link.

Other option is the day trip out of Townsville with Adrenalin Dive, but they only go to Yongala 2 days a week. On top of that, the trip is also regularly cancelled due to the weather. It's a 3 hour boat trip each way from Townsville (speaking from experience, it is not a pleasant boat trip out), and only 40-45 mins from Alva Beach. Unless you have time up your sleeve to account for day trip cancellations out of Townsville, Adrenalin Dive isn't a practical option for most people. I live in Townsville, and even I drive to Alva rather than getting the boat out of Townsville these days.

I recommend 2-3 diving days out of Alva Beach.

coming over from NZ in July holiday whats that like for time of year cyclones - can you recommend dive boat operator to check out please, how many days diving should I allow

What were you intending to do dive wise in July? If just the Yongala then I agree with WetPup, spend couple of day trips out of Ayr.

If you want to see the Reef then go north to Cairns and there are plenty of day trips or over night trips (usually 3 day 2 night is the average).

Further south you move away from the GBR but still some good spots right the way down the Brisbane.

What were you intending to do dive wise in July? If just the Yongala then I agree with WetPup, spend couple of day trips out of Ayr.

If you want to see the Reef then go north to Cairns and there are plenty of day trips or over night trips (usually 3 day 2 night is the average).

Further south you move away from the GBR but still some good spots right the way down the Brisbane.

thank for that and @WetPup is it worth basing at Ayr and doing day trip to a) yongala x2days and b)GBRx2 days assume reasonable accom. at Ayr?

primarily intrerested in wreck diving but big fish are ok too

You can't dive the GBR from Ayr.

The dive shop (Yongala Dive) only runs a boat to the wreck. If you want to do reef diving, you either need to go to Townsville (80 mins drive north) or Cairns (5.5 hours drive north). There is literally no other diving out of Alva Beach (Ayr) except for the Yongala wreck. There are big fish on the wreck, but it's a destination dive. You go there for a couple of days to dive the wreck and then go somewhere else to dive the GBR :)

If going out of Ayr for the Yongala then the accommodation is dorm style above the dive shop itself (about $29 per person per night).

If dong the GBR I would be going out of Cairns as its the main gateway to the Reef but its a fair way north. No Reef trips out of Ayr but Townsville does have Adrenaline dive that does Reef trips twice a week (again they do cancel a LOT so be wary).

Plenty of decent and reasonable accommodation in Cairns and if you are doing overnight then of course its included. I would look at a 3 day 2 night if possible to get the most variety or there are 2 day 1 night options available (Ocean Quest or Kangaroo Explorer)

thanks for that so how does this sound -fly to cairns hire car drive to yongala 3 days drive back -reef dives 2 days - rest day fly home

Back
Top Bottom