Experience for CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zbskii

Contributor
Reaction score
I've got 16 dives on OC, just got nitrox certified. I definitely want to get a CCR in the near future, but I'm worried I'm still a bit 'green'. How much experience does one generally need before training on a rebreather? I'd obviously take a class.

I think you're gonna need to be trimix certified if I am not mistaken or at least Adv. Nitrox. You're gonna have to be able to fill the o2 bottle. And it wouldn't hurt to have a good handle on deco procedures. :)

Note that I am not a CCR diver, but do dive with people who are.

I was told Adv. Nitrox for CCR when I looked into this. May depend on the CCR course, but anyway you've got some more work to do, besides just getting more time in the water.

SCR I think you can do with just Nitrox and maybe AOW.

You do not need trimix but you do need adv nitrox so that you understand the effects pressure has on loop contents. I think getting CCR certified at the start is probably a good idea since you will not learn any bad OC habits. I felt like a newbie when I first started diving CCR and I had 500+ dives by then.

I talked to a Prism instructor who has trained people on CCR from the get go.

Adv Nitrox at 60 dives is pushing it. I know some people are gonna come after me on that one, but I've audited that class. It's no joke if you have a solid instructor.

Jonny_Rocket:
I talked to a Prism instructor who has trained people on CCR from the get go.

huh ?
Can you explain that please :06:

Cheers
Chris

I would say you need to get you're underwater comfort level high first.

Book say's 60 dives. Well, in 60 dives I doubt you've dove. Wrecks and are comfortable. Freshwater and are comfortable. Coldwater and are comfortable. Open Sea and are comfortable. Reefs and are comfortable.

You need to be comfortable in any place. First. Then, go rebreather. Reason why? If you're uncomfortable underwater. And you're rebreather has a problem. You're in a lot of trouble. Rebreathers are a Great tool. But, It's a great way to get yourself in a lot of trouble too. I love em. I've dove a lot too.

Get your nitrox and adv nitrox. Get nitrox now. Start diving it. Get your adv nitrox in about a year. After about 60dives on nitrox. Dive with adv mixes for 50 dives. Then get you're ccr. Not a huge amount of time. Or dives. But enough, I think, to get you to ccr.

Starting right from the get go. Is possible. But, you're lookin to get hurt. Oc is bad enough with a panic diver. CCR divers should be Way, Way, Way passed the problem of being a panic diver. I've seen divers with 150 dives. Panic. Shoot to the surface. And never see there family.

Most of the problems with CCR's end with you passin out. Not a lot of time to react either. You don't notice it. CO2 hit. You pass out. Reg out of your mouth. You drown. On Scuba. Slim chance of CO2 hit. I would say no chance. But there is always a chance. Bad air. And, if you were CCR and recognized the problem. Switch to Scuba and your OK. Even have a good chance of going back on the Rebreather.

Back
Top Bottom