Experience for CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
What dives are you going to be doing with 50 dives under your belt that require a CCR?

What does it really matter what he needs or more specifically, why he wants a rebreather? Maybe he wants to be a deep sea explorer, photographer, caver, do wreck penetration, get closer to the fishes... Or maybe he just wants one to have one and won't dive it deeper than 60 fsw. If he wants one and can afford it, more power to him.

lamont:
With 100 dives under my belt I found adding doubles and the additional two valves to be challenging, I can't imagine adding the task loading of a rebreather at only 50 dives...

Diving is not something that comes easy to everyone. It seems like some people are naturals and it seems like some people after hundreds of dives still look like OW students.

Ryvor:
What does it really matter what he needs or more specifically, why he wants a rebreather? Maybe he wants to be a deep sea explorer, photographer, caver, do wreck penetration, get closer to the fishes... Or maybe he just wants one to have one and won't dive it deeper than 60 fsw. If he wants one and can afford it, more power to him.
I agree. Never quite understood why anyone should have a really good reason, a need, to dive a rebreather. The same could be asked of anyone who dives in the first place. As for doubles, imho if you dive doubles, there better be a good rebreather in between.

Diving is not something that comes easy to everyone. It seems like some people are naturals and it seems like some people after hundreds of dives still look like OW students.
The 50, 60 or whatever dive requirement doesn't mean much. Same as the 100 hr/dive requirement on the unit to step up to trimix. Any good instructor will evaluate the student and either tutor or send the student back home.

lamont:
What dives are you going to be doing with 50 dives under your belt that require a CCR?

With 100 dives under my belt I found adding doubles and the additional two valves to be challenging, I can't imagine adding the task loading of a rebreather at only 50 dives...
Actually I am surprised you asked that. I know you for one, claim to have a high sensitivity to nitrogen narcosis. With the cost of helium being what it is ($0.80 /cuft at our LDS) you should see immediate value for any dive below 60ft when it comes to the economics of rebreather diving.

Sydney_Diver:
huh ?
Can you explain that please :06:

Cheers
Chris
I know at one time Peter Ready's wife had only dove CCR. Of course Peter builds the PRISM and they are in a different league. CCR from the get go is possible. Does the military train pilots on jets first?
Bill

chickdiver:
Hmm..... thousands of dives.... 19 years expereince....... trimix and cave instructor.... and I'm mildly apprehensive about the training involved in my Meg purchase......

You boys must eat your wheaties.

You will do fine and love it. Warm, moist gas, way better deco. It just doen't get any better. Gas is a terrible thing to waste!!!
Apprehensive is a good word. You need to always be that way on a RB. Never trust the thing. Always know your PPO2. Complacency Kills. Monitor those gauges and electronics at least every 4-5 minutes. If you can't think of anything to do look at those gauges.
3 hours at 60' with no deco is a reality. Cost of gas is a fraction compared to OC. One hour plus dives with no deco=normal. As a student a year and a half ago we did a three our and seven minute dive: one hour out between 100 & 140', one hour back @ 100', then 30 minutes in the sand doing skills @ 70'. Now, that's 2 1/2 hours UW with a total of 28 minutes mandatory deco. As they say in CA, I was "stoked." It was "*****in." If the RB is working gas/time is not a problem.
I'm not in Heathers league, but 35+ years diving, 25+ years teaching, Large boat DM for 25+yrs, IT/CD. CCR is the way to go.
Bill NAUI 5709L

Mverick:
Ain't NO dive gods or goddess's in my book.

I know Instructors that are Horrible divers.

I know IT's that are Horrible divers.

I know CCR divers who should be Dead from the stupid stuff they've done. Couldn't even calibrate there units.

So, tellin me all that certification stuff. Doesn't mean a whole lot in my book. I wanna see you dive. In fact. It usually means you don't get to do a lot of fun dives. You're always teaching. Our "Instructors" didn't go anywhere this year.

Sheesh,
Well, if you are ever around Heather before, during and after the dive you will be impressed and most likely humbled.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom