Experience for CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazyduck:
I am retired NAUI Instructor Trainer.
Retired because I wanted to do the diving I want.
I never listed my certifications nor called you or your experience out.

My passion is experimental dive gear and systems plus my own designs and ideas similar to yours.

My rant is easy just give people their due respect.
Here I will fall on my sword-
Maybe I was an ***** but you were talking to someone I respect like she was an open water student.

I get pissed because she has so much to offer all of us with her experiences. All we have to do is ask … For me there are not that many people who have true experience were I want to go- she has it.

Heather is a dive goddess to me- I call her a friend. I know who I want on my deco station when the ka ka hits the isolating fan.

I am keenly aware of the Meg that you speak of. I am not interested and you shifted gear about Meg training and the system to how it was… colored?

My interest is a PRISM for my own needs and ideas. So have fun with that.

Can we talk about rebreathers now?

Andrew

Amen, brother Andrew! This is why I spend much more time in RBW...-Andy

Never mind. It ain't even worth it..

Mverick:

Hello Mverick, I'm not trying to give anybody a hard time, I'm refering mostly to the fact that these days, the threads on this site often start to wander around and lose focus rather quickly. And now I'm making it worse...-Andy

zbskii:
I've got 16 dives on OC, just got nitrox certified. I definitely want to get a CCR in the near future, but I'm worried I'm still a bit 'green'. How much experience does one generally need before training on a rebreather? I'd obviously take a class.

Hello zbski, I agree with Dave, the sooner the better, within reason. You do need a certain amount of confidence in the water to deal with the task loading for a CCR. But your skills will become second nature as long as you dive regularly, it's not that difficult to dive recreational CCR. It's when you start to plan and execute deeper deco/trimix dives that things become complex. As for course requirements, Naui requires only basic nitrox for air as diluent no deco CCR diving on the Prism to 130 ft. -Andy

Mverick:
If it is about rebreathers I would like to hear what you have to say.

Sorry, if I was an @** earlier- I tend to get defensive about friends.
Clearly, this is something I need to work on- again my fault.

Are you using rebreather in fast current diving- that is listed in your profile.
I am curious how extreme water movement would influence ots (over the shoulder) counterlungs?
The reason I ask is; I have a nasty little waterfall that I have been playing with; there is a manmade room behind it and we are working in it. This was a site for an ice making plant along time ago and we have been looking for artifacts or anything that we might be able to recover.

Regards, Andrew

The amount of experience it will take to begin
RB training is going to be different for every person, some could go right to it from scratch, others never should. I wrote an article for Rebreatherworld a while ago entitled "what is a rebreather and do i need one?" this is a good place to start finding out what you want and why. I was doing tech trimix at around 250 dives, CCR's at 300 and now with around 500 dives I am comfortable breaking 300 feet on my Meg. I do not expect anyone to follow exactly my path and if i had it to do over again i would have skipped all the OC and went directly to CCR. All that money on gear and training would have paid for a lot of scrubber and travel. : ( If it takes you 1,000 or more dives to get comfortable enough to attempt CCR training, then so be it.

Congrads on the meg purchase SC, will you be coming out to the PNW to pick up your unit and get trained by the "pool nazi" himself?

building CCR'S in my spare time... Ron

Wow. Can I have my thread back?
So I think I'll press 'pause' on the CCR thing until I've got 50+ non-training dives. Probably take that long to save up for one anyways....

zbskii:
So I think I'll press 'pause' on the CCR thing until I've got 50+ non-training dives. Probably take that long to save up for one anyways....

What dives are you going to be doing with 50 dives under your belt that require a CCR?

With 100 dives under my belt I found adding doubles and the additional two valves to be challenging, I can't imagine adding the task loading of a rebreather at only 50 dives...

zbskii:
Well, I am getting my Meg this week, I have been a complete spaz since sunday when Leon emailed saying he was shipping my unit. I have been looking out the window everytime I hear a truck drive by hoping it is the UPS man. As far as black goes, it does make one more sneaky. I have been diving for 13years, diving mix in deep caves for the past 3. I guess one could do the dives we are doing on OC. But I am a complete pussy and get cold at 4 hours, So I am wanting to go a little longer and breath warm moist gas, I dont know call me a gear geek. I am looking forward to my trainning, I know it will not be a cake walk, and I wont be doing the same kind of dives for awhile, as I dont wish to prove anyone right and break a whole bunch of harts by killling myself on this thing. If it is what you want to do, dive while you are saving up, you will need a back plate wing, and reg anyways. Find an instructor who you like and can respect. Get started on your path as it is a long one, well I know it has been for me. Good luck. Nick

lamont:
What dives are you going to be doing with 50 dives under your belt that require a CCR?

With 100 dives under my belt I found adding doubles and the additional two valves to be challenging, I can't imagine adding the task loading of a rebreather at only 50 dives...
What does someone need a Hummer for when a Ford Festiva will do the Job. Because he or she can, and wants to.

Back
Top Bottom