Experience for CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool thanks, that's the exact kind of advice I was looking for.
I just took SSI nitrox, and I actually found myself wanting more. Seemed like it was the minimum information you'd need to dive nitrox. I dive in the Puget Sound; open water was 50 degree water and 10 foot viz. I'd love to dive someplace tropical :)

zbskii:
Cool thanks, that's the exact kind of advice I was looking for.
I just took SSI nitrox, and I actually found myself wanting more. Seemed like it was the minimum information you'd need to dive nitrox. I dive in the Puget Sound; open water was 50 degree water and 10 foot viz. I'd love to dive someplace tropical :)

I like tropical. But, I love wrecks. More diveable wrecks in the Great Lakes then in the rest of the coastal waters of the US. And the Great Lakes are cold. LOL...

I took Iantd nitrox. Little more. But, nitrox isn't black science. Once you dive it a while. It'll be like nothing. O2 is good. LOL...

Have fun.

zbskii:
I've got 16 dives on OC, just got nitrox certified. I definitely want to get a CCR in the near future, but I'm worried I'm still a bit 'green'. How much experience does one generally need before training on a rebreather? I'd obviously take a class.

I've got a little over 150 dives, 50 in doubles, PADI OW, SSI NItrox/Nav/Deep, NAUI Rescue and GUE RecTriox provisional. I think I'm aiming for roughly Tech 2 + Cave 1 at around 500 dives. That's the earliest I would consider taking rebreather training. I definitely think that where I'm at now, its way too soon to think about such things.

YMMV.

Yea Lamont, you're about 3 years ahead of me.. but the shiny black hose is OH SO TEMPTING! LOL!

PerroneFord:
Yea Lamont, you're about 3 years ahead of me.. but the shiny black hose is OH SO TEMPTING! LOL!
Why? The Techno Geek factor?

What problem does it solve (ie Are you hindered in anyway diving open circuit)?

I'm slightly ahead of Lamonts timeline, but we are on a very similar path and I can pretty much rule out any RB for me. I cannot see any dives in the next 5-10yrs years that would not be doable on OC.

Getting an RB for the geek factor is the wrong reason to get one IMO, but its probably the number 1 reason for getting one.

Hmm..... thousands of dives.... 19 years expereince....... trimix and cave instructor.... and I'm mildly apprehensive about the training involved in my Meg purchase......

You boys must eat your wheaties.

JeffG:
Why? The Techno Geek factor?

What problem does it solve (ie Are you hindered in anyway diving open circuit)?

I'm slightly ahead of Lamonts timeline, but we are on a very similar path and I can pretty much rule out any RB for me. I cannot see any dives in the next 5-10yrs years that would not be doable on OC.

Getting an RB for the geek factor is the wrong reason to get one IMO, but its probably the number 1 reason for getting one.

I started doing RB's because it's an extension of diving. AND, I wanted longer run times on wrecks. Make one 3 hour dive on a wreck. Done for the day. And, I didn't have 150lbs of tanks on to do it. My back was getting a little tired. So, I built 3 and bought 1. In that order. Which is scarry....LOL

The run time is the big thing for me. I don't dive caves. Nice, but just not into it. Now, I'm not wanting to risk my back for them. But, even doing a 1 hour 130ft wreck dive. If you got hung up. You have around 4 hours worth of gas to get yourself out with a Meg. With my homebuild you have even longer. So, much better safety for that. But, you shouldn't get lost. LOL... That's what reels are for. But, Stuff Happens.

chickdiver:
Uhhh.... no. In my world... dive gear comes in black... basic black... and only basic black.

LOL

Me too. Unless it's Stainless Steel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom