Experienced diver wants a new computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If AI isn't a requirement, i can 100% recommend the Shearwater Peregrine: ...
-very reliable,
And that recommendation is based on 50-99 dives and no experience with their EU serivce. When my SW computers had less than 100 dives I thought they were great too...

And that recommendation is based on 50-99 dives and no experience with their EU serivce. When my SW computers had less than 50 dives I thought they were great too...
Huh? My SW has precisely 147 dives logged and already surpassed the Suunto in terms of reliability. I have 2 buddys who both have a Perdix 2 and are also very satisfied.

Trying to negate the positive experiences others had with a product is just weird. Are you on a personal vendetta with SW because you were mildly inconvenienced?

Why don't you try to help and recommend another product instead of bashing SW every chance you get?

Trying to negate the positive experiences others had with a product is just weird.
I'm not 'negating' it.
You're missing that all the good experiences with SW's serivce are only from non-EU customers. The OP is in the EU.
If you're happy with a computer were you have to hope it doesn't need service ever... fine.

I'm not 'negating' it.
You're missing that all the good experiences with SW's serivce are only from non-EU customers. The OP is in the EU.
If you're happy with a computer were you have to hope it doesn't need service ever... fine.
I'm also from EU btw, and it's not like the support of other brands is that much better.

... and it's not like the support of other brands is that much better.
Simply not true. You have zero experience with SW's service.
You're just repeating what you have heard from Americans.

Simply not true. You have zero experience with SW's service.
You're just repeating what you have heard from Americans.
I never said anything about Shearwater service, since i never had any problems. But my experience with Suunto was already abysmal, so how bad can it possibly get?

You're missing that all the good experiences with SW's serivce are only from non-EU customers.
Are you 100% sure about that?

I think I am bucking the trend. My primary computer is the AI Scubapro G2 wrist mount with a hose Oceanic DataPro 3. The G2 is easy to read and program. I have great luck with this set up.

Either the Suunto Eon Core or SW Peregrine are great computers. Both are have easy to read, underwater screens and have good easy to use interfaces. I particularly like the Peregrine's "Safety Stop Complete" display

I'd avoid the Suunto Zoop/Vyper just because the interface is poor. I have a printed page of the manual in my kit for assisting divers I'm guiding in setting them the correct Nitrox percentage. I'm always surprised when it works.

If you do get an Eon or other Suunto never put it in gauge mode. This will lock it out from regular dive mode for a day or so. Many of the "My Suunto locked me out" threads here look suspiciously like it was put into gauge mode.

And last if you do get any computer with bluetooth and use an iPhone, I highly recommend the MacDive app. Easily loads your dives into a log on you phone. Much better than the manufacturer's apps.

Hi @marc78

If you decide you want AI, this spreadsheet may be of use to you. Obviously, the prices are not very helpful. You stated you probably want Buhlmann, looks like that includes ZH-L16C with GFs in addition to Scubapro's 8 or 16 ADT MB. Aqua Lung runs PZ+, a proprietary Buhlmann version that is moderate or middle of the road in the conservative to liberal spectrum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom