Experienced diver wants a new computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7 I do not need CCR TRIMIX per definition and will not use this.
8 do I need Air Integration?
The computer you want is a Ratio iX3M 2 Pro. It is a 3 gas computer (Air, Nitrox & Gauge) the same as a Peregrine but with Air Integration.

The computer you want is a Ratio iX3M 2 Pro. It is a 3 gas computer (Air, Nitrox & Gauge) the same as a Peregrine but with Air Integration.
Unfortunately, it does not have custom GFs or all of the standard Buhlmann functions available on the Peregrine and other SW computers, SurfGF, GF99... Even on sale, it is $170 more than the Peregrine. The transmitter will cost you another $450 with another $30 for a neoprene sleeve to hide the stupid lights. I have no doubts that these are perfectly good computers, just not for me.

SurfGF, GF99...

What else? At the same time this computer has functions/options; EXCELLENT compass, firmware upgradability to more advanced versions for example, the Peregrine doesn't have. The Peregrine can NEVER be upgraded to AI but this computer you can as it comes AI ready out of the box. You don't have to buy the transmitter form the get go.

Even on sale, it is $170 more than the Peregrine.
This $170 extra makes it a much better value in total than the Peregrine since it brings versatility and investment protection the Peregrine doesn't have and can never have.

another $30 for a neoprene sleeve to hide the stupid lights.
Why do you need the sleeve??? I have had my iX3M with a transmitter since circa 2017 and never felt the need to hide the transmitter's "stupide" lights at all. I dive with other friends who use the same computer including night dives and it never occurred to any of us to hide it or to even think that it was something that was noticeable. If it is annoying in certain circumstances, cave diving perhaps, you get the sleeve or make one yourself no problem.

it does not have custom GFs or all of the standard Buhlmann functions

You have about six (not sure) GF's you can choose from to adjust your conservatism. They pretty much cover all the average recreational diver needs. The only folks that actually need granularity of GF adjustment are technical divers not recreational divers. In fact, custom GF will lead to confusion and potential issues to the recreational diver since the greater majority of them don't understand what GF's are or what they do or comprehend the implications of tweaking them. The good folks that want them, or need them or understand them are technical divers who should be buying the technical versions.

What other "standard Buhlmann functions" do you mean here?

Would an OSTC Sport be an option? As you are in the EU.

Got one earlier this year, but not used it in anger yet. Bought in the UK slightly cheaper than a Perigrine. Part of the reason was a disposable battery as there would be gaps between use.

It's 2 years.

How about that?! They have changed it to 2 years for the Perdix 2 and Petrel 3!

I wonder why they need service so much more often now than the older models. Do the vibrator motors inside make them need service more frequently? Weird.

Hi my friend @BoltSnap

To each their own. I don't like the Ratio presets, I want to set my own GFs, the Peregrine would allow me to do this. You need to upgrade to the Tech+ to have custom GFs in the Ratio line. You should give experienced recreational, light deco divers more credit for knowing what they are doing.

I am very fond of SurfGF. Prior to buying my Teric, I did adaptive safety stops and padded my deco to reduce my surfacing risk. Now, there is no guesswork, I have not surfaced with a GF greater than 80 since buying my Teric in 2019. I occasionally pay attention to GF 99, I know many are fond of @+5 and delta+5.

The brand specific transmitter is a turn off. If I could use it with a Shearwater and an Oceanic, that would be a big plus. The indicator lights are just a further nuisance, why?

Here is the dealer map for Ratio off the Ratio website. The US doesn't look so good.
1696895173207.png

What else? At the same time this computer has functions/options; EXCELLENT compass, firmware upgradability to more advanced versions for example, the Peregrine doesn't have. The Peregrine can NEVER be upgraded to AI but this computer you can as it comes AI ready out of the box. You don't have to buy the transmitter form the get go.

This $170 extra makes it a much better value in total than the Peregrine since it brings versatility and investment protection the Peregrine doesn't have and can never have.

Does the warranty (and upgrade pricing) transfer to a second owner, or is it a warranty only for the original owner? Does it require proof of purchase from an authorized dealer to use the warranty?

An extra $170 is completely wasted if the user is never going to get any value out of the extra "stuff" the computer offers. For that type of user, it is certainly not a "better value".

And if you really want to talk about value and investment protection, well, first, we need to know if the warranty is transferable and how long it is covered by the warranty, and then we also need to know what the resale value is on a used iX3M 2. I think resale value on a Peregrine is probably pretty high (as a percentage of purchase price).

If you buy a Peregrine, sell it later, and then buy a Perdix 2, how much money would you end up being out of pocket? If you buy a basic iX3M 2 and then upgrade it and then upgrade it again, how much money will you be out of pocket? Obviously, if you buy a Peregrine or an iX3M 2 and never upgrade either one, then you will be out an additional $170 to have the iX3M 2.... for any benefit?

How about that?! They have changed it to 2 years for the Perdix 2 and Petrel 3!

I wonder why they need service so much more often now than the older models. Do the vibrator motors inside make them need service more frequently? Weird.
It doesn't say it's only for the new models though.

perdix AI, i love AI more than i thought i would, definitely worth it

Does the warranty (and upgrade pricing) transfer to a second owner, or is it a warranty only for the original owner? Does it require proof of purchase from an authorized dealer to use the warranty?

An extra $170 is completely wasted if the user is never going to get any value out of the extra "stuff" the computer offers. For that type of user, it is certainly not a "better value".

And if you really want to talk about value and investment protection, well, first, we need to know if the warranty is transferable and how long it is covered by the warranty, and then we also need to know what the resale value is on a used iX3M 2. I think resale value on a Peregrine is probably pretty high (as a percentage of purchase price).

If you buy a Peregrine, sell it later, and then buy a Perdix 2, how much money would you end up being out of pocket? If you buy a basic iX3M 2 and then upgrade it and then upgrade it again, how much money will you be out of pocket? Obviously, if you buy a Peregrine or an iX3M 2 and never upgrade either one, then you will be out an additional $170 to have the iX3M 2.... for any benefit?
Stuart,

I sold my first Shearwater, a regular Perdix after about 6 years of ownership. Unfortunately, right after I sold it, the pressure sensor went out. I felt bad as it wasn't as good of a buying experience for the buyer as it should have been.

Shearwater fixed it however. After 6 years, bought used, they still fixed it. I was willing to pay to have it fixed on behalf of the buyer, but I didn't have to. And people wonder why we become such fanbois.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom