Experienced diver wants a new computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I am bucking the trend. My primary computer is the AI Scubapro G2 wrist mount with a hose Oceanic DataPro 3. The G2 is easy to read and program. I have great luck with this set up.
Hi @Mike_4635

Do you run your Pro Plus 3 on DSAT or PZ+? What settings do you use for your G2? Do they match reasonaly closely with NDLs or does one always control your dives?

I'm not 'negating' it.
You're missing that all the good experiences with SW's serivce are only from non-EU customers.

False.

I have read reports from Shearwater users in Europe who sent their Shearwater to Narked@90 in the UK and were extremely happy with the service they got.

Hi all,
I am in the market for a new gadget.
A little background
Past computer was a grey Square Aladin which I bought new, so that might sow my age.
15 years ago, when they came out I bought a Galileo Terra (fully unlocked) to replace that. 10 years ago I bought a broken strap empty battery tec2g for 20 euro as a gamble second hand. It showed off to be a great buy and its been an excellent back-up. 5 years ago my dad quit diving for medical reasons(age) and gave me his Galileo SOL air integrated. The terra moved to back-up and the tec2g moved to my drysuit pocket. I have been the instructor with 2 computers "2? wow!"
For some reason I put of A.I. all this time and planned my air-dive, watched my gauge and did the third rule etc. But having used the Sol for some time (onlzy a few dives) I did like seeing the air pressure on the screen. Never tried difficult dives with it.
And then I had kids, instructing stopped, diving slowed down. I never felt the urge to get fully into the tech diving, do have Nitrox certs. Because I plainly cannot find the time to move myself to places I can use trimix, same goes for rebreathers, I find it a way to big investment in my kit for the fun dives I do. Very interesting this tech diving and I do read about this, but 10k for a reabreater on a 20m dive I can do with air or nitrox, No thanks. I have seen the industry change from divers to spenders, hobby-hoppers with big budget and simple kit was not good enough. I have been the diver with the old car, good kit that I abused for ears untill it fell apart (like the straps for my galileoˋs again) and then find a bargain with a closedown sales of a shop that went bankrupt or something like that.

So now what do I need from a Computer:
1 Reliability. (known brand, not some new chinese-these are great but will not support you-fancy stuff)
2 Long battery life (simple) rechargable or exchangable, preferably the latter.
3 Easy to read, those galileo had a massive screens and my eyes are not getting younger - they had light but now there are color screens, how does that affect the battery?
4 Buhlman, I think, as I might use my terra as back-up again.( please do not make this a rgbm vs buhlman thread)
5 I do not want to see code 505 on my screen when I f-up, get me safe out of the water instead, but not as the first one.
6 bluetooth, I felt bad when windows stopped supporting IR and I could no longer read out my dives. (any cheap tips to get them out)
7 I do not need CCR TRIMIX per definition and will not use this, don´t mind if it is included.
8 do I need Air Integration?
9 I was thinking about 500 Euro and I know Air Integration will bring it 300 up.
10 pre-war prices, where can I get them? did I mention budget - kids cost a lot too

Interesting computers I have seen so far:
Scubapro Luna 2 has AI but screen seems dim - a computer in line with what I currently own. No reviews found so far
Shearwater Peregine. Heard a lot about reliability and support of this brand, too bad there is no option for air. Yes the other one doe shave that but then I need to look at the price.
Galileo G2 on the more expensive side and, a little older, again in the line of what I have
Apeks DSX - fairly new & packed with options. expensive, they used to have a great computer when I bought the terra.
Aqualung i770r, looks nice but unfamiliar with their computers and do not know owners. Could be in the same camp of Mares & Cressi, which I would skip.
Suunto Eon - plenty of features. RGBM which also is re-known for workable in fundive situations, I heard very conservative and not that great support.
Would a vyper novo still do the trick? itś an oldy- see above EON but if you can find them with a POD they are about 500

Looking for feedback - tips and alternatives

You don't say how often you will dive.

If you will dive fairly often (at least once a month or so), then a Peregrine is a good option.

But, if you are going to dive less often, a Perdix might be a better option.

The Peregrine is rechargeable. Rechargeable (Li-ion) batteries do not like to be charged to 100% and then left sitting for an extended period. They also do not like to be be allowed to discharge all the way.

A dive computer that is used infrequently has a decent chance of both things happening to it. Probably repeatedly. Thus, a dive computer like the Perdix, where you can just remove the battery or use a photo lithium battery (to ensure you don't have a battery leak while stored inside the computer) can be better. If it sits long enough to kill the battery, you just put a new one in and go. Just don't leave it stored with an aklaline battery in it. Damage from a battery that leaked after sitting for a while is (I believe) the single most common repair performed on Perdix computers.

You don't say how often you will dive.

If you will dive fairly often (at least once a month or so), then a Peregrine is a good option.

But, if you are going to dive less often, a Perdix might be a better option.

The Peregrine is rechargeable. Rechargeable (Li-ion) batteries do not like to be charged to 100% and then left sitting for an extended period. They also do not like to be be allowed to discharge all the way.

A dive computer that is used infrequently has a decent chance of both things happening to it. Probably repeatedly. Thus, a dive computer like the Perdix, where you can just remove the battery or use a photo lithium battery (to ensure you don't have a battery leak while stored inside the computer) can be better. If it sits long enough to kill the battery, you just put a new one in and go. Just don't leave it stored with an aklaline battery in it. Damage from a battery that leaked after sitting for a while is (I believe) the single most common repair performed on Perdix computers.

Good tip about the battery. Here is someone's pictures they just posted the other day from a battery leaking and the damage it can do. I snagged these from @Trace Malinowski. In SW defense, I think Trace's perdix sat for quite a while with a battery still in it (not trying to call you out Trace, just want to give credit for the pictures you posted).

Personally @marc78 I like my SW stuff. If I was in the EU I would probably give ratio a shot but not because I've heard it's better, just because the grass is always greener. My SW Perdix has been nothing but great to me.

I will say that I've seen, heard, or seen posts from people having their SW flood more in the last 4 months then ever. I think the recommended interval to sending in for service is 4 years? I know mine is past that..

@BoltSnap what is Ratios's service interval or do they even have one? Do they stand behind their stuff like SW does, even far past the warranty in a lot of cases?

Attachments

• Perdix Damaged.pdf
    940.2 KB · Views: 101
According to Dive-tronix, they had a flood (LOL! :wink:) of Perdix in for repair after about the first year of COVID. That is when everyone decided to stop hunkering down at home and start diving again. All those Perdix that sat with an alkaline battery for a year or more - well, many of them - had leaked and be sent off for repair.

I think the Energizer photo lithium batteries pretty much won't do that. Nor will SAFT batteries. I would stick to one or the other for my dive computers.

Also, I think the Shearwater recommended service interval is 5 years. Well worth it. A lot cheaper than fixing a flooded Perdix.

what is Ratios's service interval or do they even have one?
I don't remember any service interval except that the batteries may have to be changed every 10 years (I think).

Do they stand behind their stuff like SW does, even far past the warranty in a lot of cases?
They did for me in one occasion with a transmitter, they replaced it free circa 2 years after warranty. I haven't had any other issues with warranty. Once they sent me some parts via DHL but the little parts were missing from the box when it arrived in Libya. They sent me the parts again free of charge and didn't even charge me for the shipping. They could have blamed it on the shipper and told me to take it up with DHL but they didn't think twice about it, just sent me the parts immediately.

According to Dive-tronix, they had a flood (LOL! :wink:) of Perdix in for repair after about the first year of COVID. That is when everyone decided to stop hunkering down at home and start diving again. All those Perdix that sat with an alkaline battery for a year or more - well, many of them - had leaked and be sent off for repair.

I think the Energizer photo lithium batteries pretty much won't do that. Nor will SAFT batteries. I would stick to one or the other for my dive computers.

Also, I think the Shearwater recommended service interval is 5 years. Well worth it. A lot cheaper than fixing a flooded Perdix.
Of the 2 that I personally know, they were both just floods without any indication that it was getting ready to happen, and both guys did a ton of diving throughout Covid. The plus side is that they were both within ~ 3 years of purchasing new and SW stood behind them without a second thought.

Mine on the other hand was used and has quite a bit of time on it. I should absolutely send mine in. I keep telling myself I will when I slow down diving a little bit:)... and then it doesn't happen.

Really interesting about the influx during or after Covid from batteries. That makes a lot of sense. I don't use alkaline at all. Lithium in everything.

@rob.mwpropane I really have no issues with any of their service or products especially with the new version of the iX3M2. They just released the iX3M GPS version few weeks ago, awesome thing (at least for my use and the way I dive). They are also coming out with an updated version of their already great watch style dive computer at the end of this year, 2023, or Q1 of 24'.

False.

I have read reports from Shearwater users in Europe who sent their Shearwater to Narked@90 in the UK and were extremely happy with the service they got.
Then they either mislabeled their shippment and got lucky that customs didn't check the pacel or this was before brexit. All people I heard from that shipped to the UK post brexit said it was a major PITA and took forever.

The issue was explained accurately by a couple of people in another thread. Here it is in case somebody actually wants to know: Non-existent EU support

Back
Top Bottom