Exploding Tank in Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we used to drill holes in it here in Canada , without owners permission (70s/80s ) now we cant without owners permission . recently I was called by a lds and told they had a failed cylinder so I went to pick it up ( I use them for teaching vip /fill station courses ) and I almost died when I saw the date . it was LESS THAN 4 YEARS OLD ! the store manager said it failed vis eddy ..so I took the tank and I eddied it , passed then I had 2 hydro facilities eddy it ,(1 facility had 2 different tech's check it ) every one passed the tank with no problem so its still a opinion on the tests you just hope you get someone who's competent .....people forget /complacent with the explosive power they are dealing with

Who does an eddy current test on a 4 year old tank? This makes no sense. Why did you? There is no history of SLC on anything that new.

PSI teaches that an eddy test on a non-6351 cylinder is not a test that can be performed. I guess you can perform it, but it;s like testing a trout on it's tree climbing ability. The results are meaningless.

PSI teaches that an eddy test on a non-6351 cylinder is not a test that can be performed. I guess you can perform it, but it;s like testing a trout on it's tree climbing ability. The results are meaningless.

Yeah, I do them on steel tanks all the time too.

You obviously have not seen our tree climbing trout!

You obviously have not seen our tree climbing trout!
I fished in Canada a lot growing up. Mostly in NB and BC for Salmon. Tree climbing trout seems to be urban legend, although I've heard many Newfies tell the tale, I have yet to see one with my own eyes. Kinda like a snipe hunt. Been on a lot, but never got one.

first the tank was condemned by a lds and GIVEN to me I didn't believe it was a bad tank , so I did my due diligence to make sure it wasn't , its in my fleet now and has passed a hydro and another eddy (eddy just for the hell of it ) so don't bust my b@lls for it

Which shows the limitation of the PSI course, because that statement on Eddy Current testing is so untrue it’s laughable (not aimed at the messenger)

Which shows the limitation of the PSI course, because that statement on Eddy Current testing is so untrue it’s laughable (not aimed at the messenger)
Really? You're stating that alloy 6061 is subject to sustained load cracking? You'll be the only guy who does.

Back
Top Bottom