Exposure protection June - BDE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seba76

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently booked a liveaboard dive trip for June in the Red Sea and will be doing the BDE route. I've read that a 5mm wetsuit is recommended for June but I currently only have a 3mm full wetsuit. I'm planning to buy a semi-dry 7.5mm for a future trip to the Galapagos, but am unsure if I should also invest in a 5mm wetsuit just for this trip. Do you think the semi-dry will be too warm or should I alternate between my 3mm and 7.5mm if needed?

Thank you

Hello,

I recently booked a liveaboard dive trip for June in the Red Sea and will be doing the BDE route. I've read that a 5mm wetsuit is recommended for June but I currently only have a 3mm full wetsuit. I'm planning to buy a semi-dry 7.5mm for a future trip to the Galapagos, but am unsure if I should also invest in a 5mm wetsuit just for this trip. Do you think the semi-dry will be too warm or should I alternate between my 3mm and 7.5mm if needed?

Thank you
I think the Semi-Dry will be way too much wetsuit. If you don't want to buy a 5mm, maybe get a hooded vest to go under the 3mm- might just be enough (depending on your tolerance) and much cheaper.

I think the Semi-Dry will be way too much wetsuit. If you don't want to buy a 5mm, maybe get a hooded vest to go under the 3mm- might just be enough (depending on your tolerance) and much cheaper.
Agree with this. I have a 3mm Scubapro Everflex which is a bit warmer than most 3mm and was fine in May - and that was with the north wind pushing cooler water down. My son (who doesn't have my resilience - cough, padding cough) was cool in his Mares 3mm but when teamed with a vest was totally fine.

Nothing worse than being cold though - ask them to take vest/5mm and hire especially if it isn't something you will use/get value out of later.

Other thing to bear in mind is the Red Sea is salty, so usually 2kg weight+. Add that to a 5mm wetsuit..........

Yep...

Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 17-21-06 diving vest hood – Recherche Qwant.png

something like that, 2 or 3 mm, will complete your own suit

(the girl is not included)

Take what you had on LB in R4 you can add 2mm under the bottom and it will be ok. BDE is 3 divers a day remember that they have few guides on the boat. Which LB did you choose?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom