Exposure protection lesson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay, so on our trip last month to Maui we dove every morning for 8 days straight. With the water at 79-80 degrees, it never occurred to me that my 3mm full suit wouldn't be enough.

Low and behold, on our 7th and 8th day of diving I got cold on our second tanks. Heck, I dove in Maui in a 3mm shorty the year before in 74 degree water and was fine, would never have predicted getting cold in a full suit in water 5 degrees warmer. Since we're doing our first liveaboard in Belize in December where the water will be about the same as Maui was, I realized that 3mm simply isn't enough for repetitive diving. I wrestled with the decision of buying a beanie, buying a vest, buying a core warmer, or buying a 5mm full suit. Finally after lots of conversations with people more experienced than I, the decision was made to buy a 5mm full suit.

We'll see how the 5mm works in Belize, but I know that when we're back on Maui in April, and the water is 74 degrees, I'm betting I'll be very glad I bit the bullet and went for the 5mm suit. Especially since even though we'll be in Maui for a short trip ....only 6 days...waaa!....we're planning to dive 4 of them. Its amazing how quickly the body's core temperature will go down with repetitive diving, and it was a good lesson for me. Just thought I'd share.

Unless the water is 98.6 degrees F, you're going to lose body heat.

the K

Since the zipper on my 3mil got busted on my trip to Oahu last week, I'm considering replacing it with a 5 mil suit ... either that or replacing the zipper with velcro ... I wonder how that would hold up?

I still start getting chilled in my 3mil full (with hood) after about an hour, so I understand your choice of a 5. I know several DM's/Instructors on Maui that wear 7mil suits, and 1 friend of mine wears a 7mil farmer john for freediving...

Aloha, Tim

The Kraken:
Unless the water is 98.6 degrees F, you're going to lose body heat.

the K
Your point is good, but IIRC, normal skin temp is something more like 91F/33C and the body is used to dumping internally generated heat, so the truly neutral temp is something a bit lower than 98.6F/37C.

91FF being the neutral point also matches up with my crude observations about the relative thermal protection I prefer for 86F vs 80F.

Whatever.

Yeah, the water will sink your core temp, There was a time last year where I dove 16 dives in 4 days.....By the end of the day I was feeillng chilled. Hope the suit works for you!

Sorry Tim, I didn't know your Suit broke while you were here....I guess you and Wildcard were Jinxed :frown:

Water that's 98.6F would mean your body cannot possibly expel the heat it creates, and your core temp will rise. Charlie is spot on :wink:

justleesa:
Sorry Tim, I didn't know your Suit broke while you were here....I guess you and Wildcard were Jinxed :frown:

lol - a little cave line and an awl let me sew it up instead of zip it up ... that's why I didn't take it off between the last 2 dives - too much hassle to get it sewn back together again :wink: It worked fine and I had a great time! :D

Too bad about Wildcards camera though :(

Aloha, Tim

DiveMe, I was diving in Kona a month ago, and did 27 dives over 6 days. Using a 3mm suit I was (very) chilled by day 3. Water temps were 80 to 76, depending on the dive site.

I have a 3mm core warmer as well as a 3mm hood I take on these trips, and was toasty warm with those on top of the 3mm suit, even on the last days.

My wife has a White's Tropical Drysuit she switches to when she gets chilled.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom