Exposure protection lesson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I don’t know about normal….
04.gif
but anyhooo here’s a way to look at it. Coming from cold like CA, folks tend to think HI is hot and often dive in shorties or nothing. Then after a bit they learn there is a winter in HI, the cold tolerance decreases and it’s downright amazing to find thier teeth chattering at 70 degrees air temp (AC) when they used to run out in the snow and get the paper barefoot.

I’m finding diving parallels my winter sport experience in that if you are doing something with any frequency, you want a bigger sport specific wardrobe.

Just a FYI how I look at this in the light of how expensive sport apparel is, two key concepts: mix & match and layer.

Upon arriving in HI I thought it was ludicrous when someone would say brrrrr, the ocean is too cold in the winter. A couple of years later at the suggestion of a friend I splurged on a 3ml neoprene shortie that significantly increased my snorkeling duration of fun and I never went with out after. Moments before BOW dive two in February I cut the tags off a Hyperstreatch 3ml thinking I was seriously going overboard on the expensive nifty impulse shopping, yet once I got it wet I’ve thought it was the best thing since word processors. Packing for first dive 3 and 4 day a couple of months ago, I added the shortie certain I was again guilty of including (just in case) even the kitchen sink, now it lives again in the gear bag, just the ticket under the hyperstreach. Here it is September and I’ve been getting hot underwater even in the unusually cool summer we’ve experienced and caught myself fingering the skins and such. I’m thinking maybe a 1ml stretchy, right in there sandwich or solo, would be a good thing (Martha lives!). What really amazes me is that I don’t have a boot selection considering I identify with Carrie in Sex and the City on the subject of shoes. Must be something in the air here, as much as I desire shoes…sure don’t wear ‘em.
05.gif

DiveMe:
Okay, so on our trip last month to Maui we dove every morning for 8 days straight. With the water at 79-80 degrees, it never occurred to me that my 3mm full suit wouldn't be enough.

Low and behold, on our 7th and 8th day of diving I got cold on our second tanks. Heck, I dove in Maui in a 3mm shorty the year before in 74 degree water and was fine, would never have predicted getting cold in a full suit in water 5 degrees warmer. Since we're doing our first liveaboard in Belize in December where the water will be about the same as Maui was, I realized that 3mm simply isn't enough for repetitive diving. I wrestled with the decision of buying a beanie, buying a vest, buying a core warmer, or buying a 5mm full suit. Finally after lots of conversations with people more experienced than I, the decision was made to buy a 5mm full suit.

We'll see how the 5mm works in Belize, but I know that when we're back on Maui in April, and the water is 74 degrees, I'm betting I'll be very glad I bit the bullet and went for the 5mm suit. Especially since even though we'll be in Maui for a short trip ....only 6 days...waaa!....we're planning to dive 4 of them. Its amazing how quickly the body's core temperature will go down with repetitive diving, and it was a good lesson for me. Just thought I'd share.

Aloha from Maui, I use, in addition to my full 3ml suit, a surfers rash guard top. This keeps me comfortable especially on late afternoon and evening dives. I dont even have to compensate my boyancy by using additional weights. But I've never dove 8 days in a row either. Sounds like fun.

redrover:
What really amazes me is that I don’t have a boot selection considering I identify with Carrie in Sex and the City on the subject of shoes. Must be something in the air here, as much as I desire shoes…sure don’t wear ‘em.
05.gif

LOL! :D I can relate!

For suits? I like a shorty in the summer (currently with water temp at 81 degrees). But a few degrees colder and I get cold after the first dive, so I wear a 2/3 once water temps get lower. In the winter, even with the 2/3 mil I get cold, this year I've got a Henderson hooded vest that I'm going to try - hoping just covering the head will help and I won't have to put on an EVEN thicker wetsuit...definitely a least favorite thing to diving - that donning on of the wetsuit.

On Maui I dive with a Henderson 7/5 and I'm comfortable for 2/3 dives a day. At the aquarium I dive in 73/74F water for about two hours with the same 7/5 and every once in awhile I get chilled because I'm not swimming around very much.

Less than 70 and I go dry.

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom