Extended vacation recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Milkman670

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife, a non diver, and I vacation once a year for 6 to 8 weeks in Feb/March. We rent a bungalow with pool if possible and like small towns over resort areas. Spent 2 weeks in Playa del Carmen this past Feb and got my OW, loved the diving but just too loudand busy for us. Then flew to west coast for a month. We are booked for 2018 with a month on west coast and then 3 weeks on Cozumel in March.

So, I'm looking for a quiet area for the entire vacation so i can spread out my diving and wife can find things to do on her own. Maybe Cozumel will be the place, we will see. I'm considering the A,B,C islands for 2019. I like the idea of hopping islands. Where would you stay and dive for 2 months? Thanks
FB_IMG_1498929951508.jpg

I fhink Cozumel is louder than Playa..lol. But IDK

IDK Aruba - never been there.

You'll find a lot of quieter areas on Bonaire - even town is not going to be very busy except when the occasional cruise ship ports at Town Pier but it's a day port only.

There's a lot of individual rentals both north and south of town that are all within 15mins. or so of all the good restaurants, two large food stores etc. There's quite a few villas with pools in the Sabadeco area but I wouldn't call them bungalows - they're pretty pricey. Another option might be Villas | Piet boon in Punt Vierkant A few minutes drive south of town so pretty quiet.
I rhink you'll find a lot of the rentals with on-site pools are larger properties - 3/4 bedrooms at least.

There's an occasional house rental in Belnem also with a private pool but they typically are across the street from the water - it's a quiet area - most knights all we heard were the donkeys off in the distance.

Curacao is pretty similar but larger. Willemstad gets pretty crowded on cruise days since the port is just north of downtown - we actually parked and walked into town once due to traffic congestion. Both ends of the island are much less active - I'd suggest looking west - it's almost too quiet out there (for us) There's some nice house rentals in the Coral Estates community or around Santa Barbara. There's also some interesting small villas south of town in one area - all have private decks to the ocean - I believe a few had their own pools. If I remember the community name, I'll oost it here.

One thing to be aware of is inter-island transport. Insel seems to be in financial trouble lately and they're the jet service between Curacao and Bonaire. If they go out, unless someone else fills the void all that would be left is Divi Air - small prop planes so they'd probably be swamped. I believe - but am not sure - there are more local flight options between Aruba and Curaco though. Not sure if you can get directly to Bonaire from Aruba. There's no ferries or private charter boat service that I know of between islands.

One area you may not have considered is the Virgin Islands. Mostly you fly into St. Thomas and take the fast ferries interisland.. St. John is known for smaller villas with pools high up the hillside overlooking the water. And it's a pretty quiet place, you only go there if you're staying there - or maybe for the day beaches. There's 2-3 dive operations on island and they dive locally or day trip over to the BVI's.

Yet only 30 mins. by car ferry from St. Thomas's East End - which is also pretty quiet. It's also a longer ferry ride to St. Croix (may be seasonal) - or a quick local flight - both the north shore and east end of St. Croix have smaller rental houses. An acquaintance owns one (not for rent) - he has a pool and walks thru his neighbor's backyard to shore dive Cane Bay Wall.

St, Croix is probably the best of the 3 islands for shore diving - it's mentioned on shorediving.com. I only know of 2 on St. Thomas.

The other option is the closeness to the BVI's IMO the better diving. The ferries run from either the port in Charlotte Amalie (St, Thomas) or from the East End regularly all day every day. Virgin Gorda is a lot of villas in all price ranges, many with pools running up the hillsides. Parts of it are still so quiet that my non-dive buddy would sometimes spend hours on the beach/driving around w/o running into a single person. There's even beaches only accessible by boat - some on small islands where you're lkely the only people there.

DiveBVI there is still one of the best dive operations I've ever used and I've dived a lot of the Carib. The Rhone is the famous wreck there and they just put down a new on in April - it had the distinction of being one of few ships to survive Pearl Harbor intact. Somewhere off Long Bay IIRC,

Also there's a lot of yachts, money and a few 4-5 star resorts so the restaurant options are more than you'd expect for an island of 3K residents. It's very yachty if you like that kind of thing - always sailboats going by - we did a tour of all the BVI's one day on a boat.

Tortola is the bigger main island - there's a small regional airport there. They also get the cruise ships there. It seems - but I have no personal exp. except riding by on a boat - that the south end is a lot quieter. Anegada and Jost Van Dyke are smaller/quieter still - with either of those be sure there's still an open dive shop - there may only be one - and the last thing I saw the Anegada shop closed down.

I found a bunch of villas in the BVI's on vrbo.com. Our criteria was different (group of 12 w/pool) but there's a lot of them. Ours was in Windy Hill which was a quieter residential area - about 20mins. walk to town. Also pretty close to the famous Baths down a different road - there seemed to be quite a few smaller villas in that area also - from our 3rd floor balcony you could see many had pools. The whole island is basically two low mountains with harbors/beaches in between. It is extraordinarily pleasant there - when we asked about locking the villa doors the mgr. said they didn't have any keys - they'd never needed them since there's no theft - it would dishonor the owner as we were their guests - although we only met them once.

Last edited:
If I were looking at a long Caribbean-region vacation with diving as part of a variety of activities, I'd pull up some threads on Belize; maybe check into Splash Divers/Placencia? @Downing posted a Trip Report from 2 weeks in June. Belize isn't an island, it's a country, and has a range of offerings. With a 6 week vacation, you could move around. Maybe a week on Ambergris Caye (I hear Caye Caulker's more laid back), more time in the Placencia area?

My only Belize diving was via live-aboard; previously enjoyed a cruise ship stop with a boat ride up the New River to walk in the rain forest & visit 3 Mayan ruins (got to climb atop 2 of them!).

Richard.

So, I'm looking for a quiet area for the entire vacation so i can spread out my diving and wife can find things to do on her own. Maybe Cozumel will be the place, we will see. I'm considering the A,B,C islands for 2019. I like the idea of hopping islands. Where would you stay and dive for 2 months? Thanks
View attachment 417359

2 months?
I would island-hop for sure.

Cayman Brac (Brack Scuba Shack - boat diving)
Belize (Stay and dive close to lighthouse reef/half moon Caye...or in Ambergris, and do a day trip to blue hole+ 2 dives in half moon - boat diving)
Cozumel (Stay close to town for easier access to restaurants and other activities, pick dive shop with fast 6-pack boats - boat diving)
Roatan (Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort - boat diving)
Bonaire (Captain Don's - boat and shore diving)
Curacao (All West Apartments, and Go West diving - boat and shore diving)

Most of these are short hops from each other.

Take a look at Bayahibe on the south coast of the Dominican Republic. It's a small village that faces the Caribbean Sea. There's wreck diving, reef diving, wall diving and even cave diving if you are certified. There is 2 really good dive shops in the village. I dove with John at http://scubafun.info/ and can highly recommend him and Buceo Republica Dominicana | Tauchen Dominikanische Republik | Diving Punta Cana Dominican Republic which is private diving, so it is a bit more expensive.

How fun for you guys!
Hands down we love Bonaire...could easily spend a good amount of time there and not get board..... there is alot to do beyond diving, (however the diving is amazing ) We dive with Wanna Dive and have been really happy with their service...there are lots of super restaurants on the island and good shopping. Hop over to Curacao for a little busier island, but still great diving and much to do...other Caribbean favorites include Grenada, Nevis, and Saba, Little to do in Nevis and Saba but soak up the lush surroundings, warm people and local flavor. Grenada has a ton of interesting things to do... Diving on all are great. Have fun wherever you end up.
Cheers!

2 months? I would island-hop for sure...Most of these are short hops from each other.

The islands may be close to each other geographically but it can be difficult to find flights to hop from island to island in the Caribbean, the air carriers may not offer flights to nearby islands and countries. You may have to fly back to Miami and go through US Customs and Immigration just to get a flight to the next island - which will eat up time and add expense (and annoyance).

Also keep in mind that the "wait to fly after diving rule" will somewhat limit your dive time as you hop from island to island, and you may be spending a lot of time in various airports and in different customs and immigration departments. I like to island hop on vacation, too (and 2 months sounds wonderful!) but I wouldn't pick too many places to visit because I'd also want time to relax, dive, and enjoy the place I am visiting.

Here are a few options that I know of where you can easily connect from location to location:

- St. Martin, St. Kitts, and Saba (both air and ferry options)
- Bonaire, Curacao, and Aruba
- Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac, and Little Cayman (Cayman Air also offers flights to Cuba, Jamaica, and Roatan)
- Bahamas Air interisland flights
- Puerto Rico and Dominica
- Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, and Cozumel (also a ferry option)

Last edited:
Here's another option (I like this game!) you can take a sea plane or a ferry to travel between the US Virgin Islands of St. Croix, St. Thomas, and St. John and you can also connect to the USVI through San Juan, PR.

I don't know how expensive it would be, but we did a seaplane excursion tour in Vancouver and it was a lot of fun to take off and land on the water!

Transportation, Island Hopping from St. Croix, USVI

I know what you mean about providing interesting options for a non-diver yet staying away from the densely populated tourist centers, but keep in mind that the greatest number of flights and lodgings will be available in and out of the popular tourist centers. But you can often find a quieter (and cheaper) place to stay away from the center of activity, although you may have to rent a car and be willing to drive - sometimes on the left side of the road!

St. Martin is very busy around the cruise ship terminal but there are quieter areas elsewhere on the island. We enjoy hopping between the Cayman islands and there are a lot of things to see and do on Grand Cayman (and they are not all expensive excursions either) but we do not stay on the Seven Mile Beach or in George Town, we stay at a small, family-owned Inn on the water in a quieter, more residential area.

But there are some places in the Caribbean where I wouldn't want to drive, Honduras and St. Lucia come to mind, the roads are terrible. Driving on Dominica is scary because there are narrow roads with hairpin turns and no guard rails - at the edge of step drops into jungle valleys.

My husband insisted on renting a car and driving on Saba and that was nerve-racking - people actually give you directions like "when you smell your brakes you're almost there!" Everyone talks about the frightening take-offs and landings on Saba, but they should try the driving!

I hope that you find some great vacation options, it's a nice problem to have!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom