Extremely short-notice trip help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Steve! That info will come in handy.

Do you think I will have any issues finding others for shore diving (being that solo is prohibited)? I'm guessing that I might draw attention if I sling a couple of 72's with my BP/W/long hoses:D:rofl3:

My vote would be the keys....Close, easy, warm typically shallow dives but plenty to see. Key Largo has a ton of operators. I have only dove with Amoray Dive Resort....I reccomend them. Great dive operation...... good hotel operation.... They ofetn have specials on packages as well!

Have a great dive vacation!

Little Cayman air and hotel puts you over budget. Looks like 20+ hours to get there so you need to leave tomorrow afternoon. Going to bump your budget...?

Florida would be good, but I'm looking to get out of the US.

Yep, Unfortunately Little Cayman is out of the picture. On such short notice, working with 2 airlines can be a hassle. Too bad though as I would have liked to go there.

Flight problems with Curacao, so that's off the list.

If I fly back from Grand Cayman (into ATL), do you think an hour and 45 minutes is enough of a lay-over to clear customs before my connecting flight?

Do you think I will have any issues finding others for shore diving
I'd guess most everybody at Sunset House/My Bar is a diver. Or is there with one. We spent mid-morning to late afternoon there - it seemed like somebody was always gearing up to dive - it's 25' from My Bar to one of the entry points.
I'm guessing that I might draw attention if I sling a couple of 72's with my BP/W/long hoses:D:rofl3:
Not at Divetech...:rofl3:
If I fly back from Grand Cayman (into ATL), do you think an hour and 45 minutes is enough of a lay-over to clear customs before my connecting flight?
I don't see why not - but it's a big airport - all the terminals are accessed via one of those people mover trains - so plan for that. IIRC the end terminal was International. We went through there once during the Christmas rush, picked up my g/f's non-forwarded bag, and still made our flight in under 1-1/2 hrs. The place I always seem to barely make it through when returning Int'l is MIA.

Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport Terminal Map

I PM'd you about this image:

Attachments

• Sunset House.jpg
    Sunset House.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 30
Great map! I've made more than one Usain Bolt-like trips through an airport. You'd think I would know by now.:wink:

Baggage claim and then security check point are the major delays.... Either one can kill you. If you end up in a seemingly endless security line and it looks like you will not make it, ask someone working there if they are expediting folks about to miss their flights. Of course this depends on your comfort level with being pushy :) Worked for me the last time thru when delta was late coming in from Bonaire and then decided to move UP the connecting flight to nyc... I personally like a min of 2.5 hrs.

Thanks mbs. I decided to forgo sleep (being that I have to work at 5am on Saturday morning), and take a later arrival time, which gives me 3+ hours of lay-over. I'll get home late, but at least I'll get home.

So, thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. I've booked a holiday with Sunset House. Fingers crossed that it will be a good place.

I'm bringing the above and underwater camera gear, so I'll take plenty of photos for posting here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom