Fail! Weekend Certify-

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't however..

For one if they said they read every single post they would have known I already LEFT the dive shop the night prior- and WAS NOT going to return. and had already moved on to what I would do next-
before you go storming off because I told you how (or how it would have been with most places I have been to) you were judged by the instructor staff, YOU need to learn something. I suggested a registered letter for a reason. SSI will likely not be giving you anything. SSI has far more incentive to keep happy a shop who is pumping out SSI certifications than they do someone who feels wronged and that the system as it is in place ought to change to work in their favour.

You do not WANT to go back. So?? send 'em a letter!

You NEED what they got. If you want to walk away, then $1500 has effectively been spent on the experiences you have had to date. Nothing more, Nothing less.
Also--- the mood changed after I told them I was not buying my weights from them.. From that moment on things weren't the same. I knew it, he knew I knew it. We discussed it. He made a issue of it actually and blamed others for making issue when they hadn't.. Because the others came up to me in Monterey and cleared up HIS lie.

sounds like a place I would rather not deal with either... so send em a letter stating that you require nothing more and nothing less than exactly what you are entitled to at this point: A REFERAL and YOUR TRAINING RECORDS
I'm not sure why some are finding it a goal to try and piece together something they haven't half the pieces to.

It's impossible. You can imagine what happened but it won't be right. Whats the point anyways? lol
deal with it. That is the nature of the board. You chose to put it out there. "out there" includes people whose analytical processes often outstrip their compassion and sympathy processes.

"We" as a community tend to go after, dissect, analyze, conjecture, and extrapolate quite actively. We also know that there are two sides (if not more) to every story. In the absence of the other side presenting their argument, it is the nature of ScubaBoard to hypothesize. If You had done your homework and read ALL the threads on ALL the forums, You would realize that "We" have been pretty nice to you, and have provided you with some pretty sage advice.
And then the big ole' resolve post? It was resolved already- well eek...
I already left-
and they have both your money and the ONLY records that you have received any training at all
Not so much following the whole I got to know and I got to explain theme here.

for the umpteenth bagillionth katzillionth time, its my experience, if ya want to help with some ideas how to get my files through ssi... or what a students rights are. Generalize that would be quite helpful.

How bout them cowboys :coffee:
At this point your ONLY rights are to request a referral. If you are not willing to request that referral, then there is not much else you can say or do. The agency does not have your files, the store does. The first thing that SSI will ask you is likely to be "have you asked them for your file?" Do you have any documented proof that you have asked the shop for anything?

All the shop has to say to SSI is "ahhh you mean that "____" lady from last month?? no she hasn't been back to ask for anything since the day she stormed out of here..." You have already established that they are not above telling you lies to your face, why not some secretary on the other end of a phone line??

If you want something, ASK for it. They have no reason to volunteer anything further for you at this point. From their perspective: if you choose to go away mad, you still go away.

It sucks that you don't like what I have to say, but I am just telling it how I see it.

Actually, the only training item you have a right to is the referal form. The training folder is the property of the shop and they do not have to give it to you nor should they. It is their record of what they have done for legal purposes.

There are some very poor quality instructors and some great instructors. Just like teachers or other professions.

There is no excuse for leaving a diver on the surface. I had a similar experience in my training.

I try to learn from every experience. What I learned was that as divers we must be self sufficient and ultimately we must depend on ourself.

When your brand new and getting certified your at a disadvantage and in a more dependent state. That is why you must have dependable instructors. You unfortunately did not have a dependable instructor. You were treated terribly and you should get your money back and then take a certification class from a good instructor.

There are some great instructors and I know they would treat you respectfully and would instill confidence and joy in to your diving life.

Actually, the only training item you have a right to is the referal form. The training folder is the property of the shop and they do not have to give it to you nor should they. It is their record of what they have done for legal purposes.

Dunno how it is in the USA, but here in Canada, as I understand the laws, if someone asks to see a copy of the files you are keeping on them, you are obligated to disclose.

I have had to put referral packages together for students disgruntled by an A$$ of an instructor twice. Each time I sent the student a photocopy of everything the shop had on record about them. Why not?? When the piece of work I worked with signed the referral form he left out a couple skills... It just makes things more transparent.

If you refer to my first post where I mentioned it, I did say COPY of training records, not the original file.

You NEED what they got. If you want to walk away, then $1500 has effectively been spent on the experiences you have had to date. Nothing more, Nothing less.

Well, a little bit more.

A couple of masks, 2 sets of fins, and at least one set of gloves, maybe two if they found the other pair.

Dunno how it is in the USA, but here in Canada, as I understand the laws, if someone asks to see a copy of the files you are keeping on them, you are obligated to disclose.

That's my understanding based on Australian privacy laws as well. When private sector business collect information on you, you have the right to

* know why your personal information is being collected and how it will be used;
* ask for access to your records, including your health information;
* take up opportunities to stop receiving direct marketing material;
* correct inaccurate information about you;
* know which organisations will be given your personal information;
* ensure organisations only use your information for purposes they have told you about;
* find out what information an organisation holds on you and how they manage it.

By ask for access it doesn't imply you can take the originals as I understand it though.

before you go storming off because I told you how (or how it would have been with most places I have been to) you were judged by the instructor staff, YOU need to learn something. I suggested a registered letter for a reason. SSI will likely not be giving you anything. SSI has far more incentive to keep happy a shop who is pumping out SSI certifications than they do someone who feels wronged and that the system as it is in place ought to change to work in their favour.

You do not WANT to go back. So?? send 'em a letter!

sounds like a place I would rather not deal with either... so send em a letter stating that you require nothing more and nothing less than exactly what you are entitled to at this point: A REFERAL and YOUR TRAINING RECORDS

deal with it. That is the nature of the board. You chose to put it out there. "out there" includes people whose analytical processes often outstrip their compassion and sympathy processes.

"We" as a community tend to go after, dissect, analyze, conjecture, and extrapolate quite actively. We also know that there are two sides (if not more) to every story. In the absence of the other side presenting their argument, it is the nature of ScubaBoard to hypothesize. If You had done your homework and read ALL the threads on ALL the forums, You would realize that "We" have been pretty nice to you, and have provided you with some pretty sage advice.
and they have both your money and the ONLY records that you have received any training at all
At this point your ONLY rights are to request a referral. If you are not willing to request that referral, then there is not much else you can say or do. The agency does not have your files, the store does. The first thing that SSI will ask you is likely to be "have you asked them for your file?" Do you have any documented proof that you have asked the shop for anything?

All the shop has to say to SSI is "ahhh you mean that "____" lady from last month?? no she hasn't been back to ask for anything since the day she stormed out of here..." You have already established that they are not above telling you lies to your face, why not some secretary on the other end of a phone line??

If you want something, ASK for it. They have no reason to volunteer anything further for you at this point. From their perspective: if you choose to go away mad, you still go away.

It sucks that you don't like what I have to say, but I am just telling it how I see it.

Probably missed the point entirely--

Not sure where I typed I did not like- specifically regarding to what your referring. Seems quite unnecessary however, in my view of things.NOT only> -- because I was there and know what happened so the facts will remain the facts no matter how someone else tries to 'figure out how it went' or 'read between the lines' and then explain why this or that happened,
Seems very presumptuous and light weight arrogant to have such a strong conviction to assume certain claims of anothers experience, and push perceptions of posters feelings among the thread.
@ what point does it become overkill ?

My experience was just that- whoever wants to dissect me can, again the point is missed. If someone wants to waste all their day and nights doing this more power to them, I'm happy to give them something to do? And yeah that is actually more there problem then mine.

I will just keep saying it... I posted to help new divers learn from my experience.... thats all..
bonus is on getting information..
And I appreciate it all.. Thanks everyone =)

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree. When we find a post that may spur debate we tend to beat it to death with 100 opinions on what could've/should've/did happen. Then it ends when it all gets too long and folks get tired of it. I've had this happen to a post or 2 of mine. &*^%, this is just another post.

Diving today was awesome. So are there any updates? Are you going to join us anytime soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somehow I missed this thread when it first came out.

Gloria, I hope you have completed your certification. You had a pretty bad experience and based on the pictures of the Sunday conditions, I would have called the dive, too. 6 tanks and gear for two in a Mustang is difficult. My wife has a 2007 Mustang and we can do gear for two and 4 tanks, but it is crowded in there. (I have a 1967 Mustang Convertible, we don't carry gear in that car.) Assuming your story is true, and based on what I have read I think it is, I would never step into that dive shop again. The instructors seem dangerous to me based on this account. Come to Florida sometime, my wife and I will take you diving.

Back
Top Bottom