Failed OW for Breathing Too Much; How can I fix it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that the point that confuses the instructors in this thread is that air consumption is not a skill which divers are tested on, and therefore cannot be the basis for failing or denying certification to a student. Although I agree with many of the posters that air consumption is important, I don't know of any agency in which it is legal to fail someone on air usage.
By the same token, passing the course cannot be based on whether or not the instructor feels the student is ready, if the student exhibits mastery of the skills set forth in the standards, the instructor is compelled to pass the student.

OK, I know people run out of air because they are not checking. I think I pointed out that the tank has to be monitored. If you are going to dive, please develop a good memory.

My point is that after you dive for a long time, you get a feel for where your air should be at any given time. This has been pointed out in earlier posts. For instance, I probably check my air about 3 times on a shallow shore dive that will last an hour. The gauge reads almost always just about where I expected it to be.

I know from experience that I will use air more quickly in cold water than in warm. I will use air more quickly on deep dives than on shallow.

This comes with experience and if you dive only a couple of times a year, you may never get there. So you need to frequently check your gauge if you are not going to dive often.

Requiring..

The other person taking the dives that weekend got their c card, so it wasn't like they said everyone must come back..

Just need tips as I want to pass.

Your instructor seems a nice man/woman to me ..... he/she wants you to get it right.

My suggestions are:
a) before next dives: get to a pool and do as many laps as possible.
b) during next dives: swim sloooooow and reeeelaaaaxeeed and your SAC will get better. No one is racing you.

Regards,

I_AM

By the same token, passing the course cannot be based on whether or not the instructor feels the student is ready, if the student exhibits mastery of the skills set forth in the standards, the instructor is compelled to pass the student.

As a rule, that's a myth. This isn't the thread to get into it (I'm sure there have been some) but it just ain't so.

That's a myth. This isn't the thread to get into it (I'm sure there have been some) but if you are an instructor you should read your S&P thoroughly.

Mine says the only reason certification can be witheld after the student exhibits mastery of the skills set forth in the standards is for non payment.
From page 18 of the General Standards and Procedures section of the PADI Instructor mannual:
Certification
1. Issue certification to a diver who has met all course performance
requirements for the particular level of certification.
a. Do not withhold certification as a means of settling personal disputes.​
However, as long as the student diver understands up front what fees
he is responsible for to become certified, an instructor may withhold
certification if the student does not pay for the course as originally
agreed.
However, an instructor​
cannot withhold certification because
the student chooses to do business elsewhere (for example, purchasing
equipment from, or signing up for a trip with another instructor or dive
store).

2. As the certifying instructor, submit a PIC (Positive Identification Card)
envelope or leadership level application to the appropriate PADI Office
within seven days of the student diver completing all course certification
requirements.​
The only exception is if the delay is caused by the student (i.e.
the student does not submit a photograph, etc.).

Note:​
If necessary, you may submit a PIC envelope without a student diver photo. Your
PADI Office will store certification information, but will not generate a certification card. To
receive a card at a later date, the diver will be charged the standard replacement card fee
for this service.

a. Register only one certification level per PIC envelope.
b. Do not use a signature stamp or allow substitute/surrogate signatures.
c. Initial any changes/corrections made to the PIC envelope or application.​
3. As the certifying instructor, issue either a temporary or permanent
certification card to a student diver within seven days of the diver
completing all course certification requirements.​
a. Sign PADI temporary cards individually and personally.​
b. Do not sign PADI

You are renting a 7mm wetsuit AND a 7mm farmer John. Are you wearing BOTH when you dive? How much weight are you wearing? What was the water temp?

If you're wearing 14mm of neoprene, you're going to be wearing a TON of weight and there is no way you will have decent air consumption.

NAUI is different in this respect. I don't have my standards in front of me but something in there basically says if you wouldn't feel comfortable letting them dive with your loved ones don't certify them. You ARE expected to give them a chance to become "ready" to dive.
(Anybody got a standards manual handy?)
Ber :lilbunny:

You are renting a 7mm wetsuit AND a 7mm farmer John. Are you wearing BOTH when you dive? How much weight are you wearing? What was the water temp?

If you're wearing 14mm of neoprene, you're going to be wearing a TON of weight and there is no way you will have decent air consumption.

and no buoyancy control with all of that dynamic instability of expanding, contracting neoprene.

I'm not sure, but I think that much neoprene is not unusual for OW students in Puget Sound, where water temps range from the mid 40's to the low 50's.

I'm not sure, but I think that much neoprene is not unusual for OW students in Puget Sound, where water temps range from the mid 40's to the low 50's.

If that's the case, I would think the instructor should cut him some slack. In those conditions as a new diver his SAC is pretty damn good!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom