Failed OW for Breathing Too Much; How can I fix it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm ... that's an unusual requirement ... do they get musical accompaniment, or do you make them sing a capella ???

:D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Ha! Nice. If they're going to go crack diving I would require a capella.

What a strange thread... PADI. The musical comedy about a heavy breathing crack addict and his desire to dive.

You are renting a 7mm wetsuit AND a 7mm farmer John. Are you wearing BOTH when you dive? How much weight are you wearing? What was the water temp?

If you're wearing 14mm of neoprene, you're going to be wearing a TON of weight and there is no way you will have decent air consumption.

Up here, this is the typical configuration for divers who don't yet possess the means to acquire a drysuit (myself included :shakehead:). We start out in our OW checkout dives wearing this and let me assure you, air consumption does improve. Water temperatures range from high 60's to low 40's on average, sometimes colder. It is what we're used to.

I failed my O/W dives for breathing too much. When I would lay down at 25 f for 5 min I consumed 100. However when I would swim around my air consumption increased drastically so my dives could only last 35 min, my longest being 38 on a tank filled to 2800. I was able to get down to 51 ft and do all the basic skills.

The second issue (minor) was when I would swim using my leg/fins after a few mins my ankle would feel tired.

Any advice is appreciate. I have my next round of dives in two weeks. I have been working out at the gym to increase my leg strength, cardiovasicular system hoping that does something...

My instructor basically said he was worried that if I did a much deeper dive, I just wouldn't last and need to get this issue worked on.

I never heard of failing for that reson before, you could always get a bigger size tank. I breath alot of air a bit faster than most people thats why i got a HP 100 cf SS tank, its helps me alot. Plus if your new your going to breath more air untill you get the kinks worked out with more dives.

I just completed my course, so I'm fairly new at all of this. I noticed on my first CW dive that I blew through my air quite quickly, compared to the rest of the class. On the second CW dive, I relaxed a lot more, worked on not scalling, trying not to be nervous/anxious with the drills, and took slow deep breaths. It made a huge difference. I actually used less air than the rest of the class, when we did air checks at the surface. Relax and breathe deep and slowly...you'll do great!

You are renting a 7mm wetsuit AND a 7mm farmer John. Are you wearing BOTH when you dive? How much weight are you wearing? What was the water temp?

If you're wearing 14mm of neoprene, you're going to be wearing a TON of weight and there is no way you will have decent air consumption.

You mean some people dive *without* two layers of 7mm?? :confused:

You mean some people dive *without* two layers of 7mm?? :confused:

I know this is really, really hard to believe but yes SNorman there really ARE places where the water is warm and you only need minimal neoprene :11: I know, I know, it sounds like a fairy tale but it's true! :eyebrow:

(end hijack)
Ber :lilbunny:

I know this is really, really hard to believe but yes SNorman there really ARE places where the water is warm and you only need minimal neoprene :11: I know, I know, it sounds like a fairy tale but it's true! :eyebrow:

(end hijack)
Ber :lilbunny:

That's crazy talk! :D

Back
Top Bottom