fat folks and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...but I believe that your drag through a liquid is proportional to the surface area in the direction of flow. Mobidly obese (I'm sure that's no one here) presenting twice the forward surface area are going to require twice the propulsion through water and twice the effort.

Considerably more effort for someone who is possibly out of shape to boot, should lead those OOS, overweight people to err on the side of caution when doing strenuous dives and to be extra careful of O2 consumption. It should also lead all OOS's to err on the same side I'd think.
=Terry

cuda - you're right about the fat layer providing insulation. 2 years ago and 40 lbs heavier I could dive in the Carib w/o a wetsuit. Recently it was a minimum of 3mil shortie and for longer dives even that was not always enough.

Cuda, Well I suppose that is good news. Maybe i can get by with just my swimsuit? Hehe-- maybe not but it's a thought. It makes sense that they don't get cold as easily tho. Same thing in the winter with me. I can get by wearing less.

terry -- you mentioned 'morbidly obese' -- technically that's a medical term (and frankly not a very helpful one) -- feel free to take a look at the photo on my profile. Yes, I typically meet the medical criteria for a label of morbid obeisty -- it depends who's defining it. In any event, I'm not sure that that term adds much to the discussion. I do heartily agree with you that overweight divers as well as those of "average" weight and who are out of shape, need to be especially conservative in planning their dives -- Of coursem that would also be good policy for any recreational diver.

dub (and others) -- yes, it has been my experience that large divers are generally warmer. However, that too will change over time. When I first was certified -- it was in warm water, but other were wearing 3 and 5 mil full suits -- I was wearing a pair of lycra leggings and a 1.5 mil neoprene jacket. I was always plenty warm. As my skills got better, and I got more relaxed, I was burning less energy, using less air, and beginning to get cold. I got a 3 mil suit. Now, that suit is a bit compressed, and my skills have gotten a bit better, and I'm starting to get cold again. I'm not quite ready to spring for another suit, so I am adding a dive skin underneath to add just a touch of warmth. I may also add a hood or a beanie, too.

..and dub, I'd love to chat with you privately, if you want -- just drop me a pm.

Liz

terrydarc once bubbled...

cuda - you're right about the fat layer providing insulation. 2 years ago and 40 lbs heavier I could dive in the Carib w/o a wetsuit. Recently it was a minimum of 3mil shortie and for longer dives even that was not always enough.

I'm fairly well insulated and I freeze my ample butt off. I need a 5 mil in a heated pool.

I had many friends that are fats, and they are in good shape, so, the only thing that you have to think if is your heart is doing good!!! The other point is the amount of weight that you need to go down, but you can fix it with couple of belt... and if you are not in good shape, start running 3 times a week for 20 mins.
Before do anything, this person should go to a doctor and makes little test...
Diving in for everybody, it is true, but exist little restriction, all of them regarding physical conditions, like your heart, your back, and so on. You don't need a great condition to make a recreational dive, but at least need to check those points before dive...

Terry, while i'm not morbidly obese, I am out of shape and I appreciate the warnings and advice of safe diving considering my physical condition. I just wonder how I will know what will be a strenous dive for me. I guess the class will prepare me and then i will have a better understanding.

liz i'm going to send you a pm cuz i have lots of questions for you! hehe

rav-- you know i get hot sometimes but i also have bad circulation and my toes and fingers are usually cold and when it is cold out they pretty much remain a nice shade of blue! I think my torso will be fine, it's my poor lil toes that go numb from the cold!

darkness- i can't really run but I guess this is some motivation to do that elliptical machine at the gym--- man i hate that thing tho! grrrrrr

dub once bubbled...
Terry, while i'm not morbidly obese, I am out of shape and I appreciate the warnings and advice of safe diving considering my physical condition. I just wonder how I will know what will be a strenous dive for me. I guess the class will prepare me and then i will have a better understanding.

Here're 4 definitions of _MO_ in a link below. Sorry if I rung anyone's bell about the term and I used it advisedly. I understand that it's a "medical definition" and that's how I intended it. I hope that everyone including way out of shape and way overweight as well as a whole host of medical concerns will be able to dive...including my wife, whom I've defended as being able to dive on this board previously. Really, I'm on your side here in hoping you can dive and dive safely.

Here's what I'd do for my wife or anyone who's in need of a bit of extra care. Really, a lot of this would go for all divers.

1. If the weather's bad - skip the dive.
2. If there's a strong current, surge or chop - think twice.
3. Manage your dive very conservatively. Don't wait until it's nearly time to decompress before you think about a safety stop.
4. Learn your limits (get experience) and dive conservatively.
5. Don't ever, EVER be afraid or intimidated about letting the DM or Instructor know that you're tired, getting low on air or anything that would cut the dive short or keep you from going in the water in the first place.

Diving's a challenge, but a fun one. I hope you have a great experience diving.
=Terry

Am I MO?

Thanks Terry-- i'm not considered mo but I am out of shape and do want to be conservative initially. I appreciate the advice!

Just thought I'd chime in a little bit. I am a rather large gentlemen, 6'1" and 320+lbs. I regularly dive to the deeper end of recreational limits, and am starting to touch into decompression diving (for those of you who are just beginning your diving adventure, deco diving is the intentional saturation of your tissue with nitrogen beyond "recreational limits" for the purpose of going deeper or staying longer at depth. To compensate, one makes long stops in the water at various depths to allow thier body to expel the offgassing nitrogen). I usually have no problem at all with any of the diving that I do, including kicking through a strong current, but I will confess that I can get quite winded doing so. Most heavier people have much larger quads and calf muscles to carry thier weight on a regular bases. (If you put these mega muscles on those lanky folk, they would fly like the wind!). The problem with these muscles, is they need more food (Oxygen), and therefore produce more waste (Carbon dioxide). What am I getting at? Well, here's the thing.... that nagging feeling that you get when you are out of breath, or when you are trying to hold your breath, that "need to gasp" feeling is triggered by CO2 in your body. So, it would make sense that if you find yourself out of breath for any reason, that you are producing high amounts of CO2, which I feel, being a large diver, is my #1 nemesis. I try my best to mitigate this by making sure I take DEEP, DEEP, DEEP (did I mention deep?) breaths. This does 2 things for me, it makes me concentrate on my breathing to get it (and my heartrate) under control, and more importantly, it clears out the "dead space" in the breathing passageway. I'm not going to go into the finer points of "dead space" as I believe it comprises almost a whole chapter in the PADI manual, but in short its the distance between the air supply, and your lungs. If you do not take a large breath, a larger percentage of that breath will be part of the last one which contains... you guessed it CO2. One more tip, when you complete you OW class, most organizations out there have a bouyancy training class that you can take. PADI's is called "peak bouyancy". I would advise taking this from a good instructor, as it will teach you proper trim and bouyancy control through breathing (I think someone mentioned this earlier in the thread). This is extremely helpful to larger divers, because we need to try and be as streamlined as possible to appear smaller and less threatening to the sharks (so we don't scare them away!).

BTW, the observations about thermal comfort are true in my case as well. I routinely dive Ginnie Springs (72d) in a 3mil Henderson shorty, and I am comfortable even after a third consecutive dive).

Anyway, I hope my babbling helps in some form or fashion, and I wish all divers, mass challenged and lightweights alike, safe and enjoyable diving!!!

leadweight once bubbled...
At least as far as seriously overweight men are concerned, they burn through an 80 mighty quick.

I'm a shape as well <grin> When I started diving I was concerned that my air consumption would be a problem. But I've got to say that my air consumption is usually pretty good....most dives my average SAC is between .40 and .50.

I've been told that women are generally better with air consumption than men due to the fact that they're physically smaller....but since I'm 5'11" and even when I was young and fit...I've never been a petite person...I didn't think that would be the case for me...anyway, I was happily surprised.

I don't have problems carrying my gear around (sometimes it's beneficial being 5'11" wearing my gear does feel like a heavy backpack, but not a burden) I would definitely make sure that carrying your gear around isn’t a burden for you….you don’t want to stress your body carrying around things that are very heavy for you right after a dive. There are a lot of folks on this board who can explain the physics of why to you better than I…but I’ll just leave it at it might assist nitrogen micro bubbles to form in your bloodstream.

Seriously though Dub, I agree with everything LadyCute said....and I approach diving very similarly.

*I dive well within the NDL (my computer also has the ability to make it more conservative and I use it)
*I always make sure I'm hydrated, and well rested
*I ascend slowly
*I always do safety stops

I do work out a couple times a week (I’m working on making that more often….it’s all a process huh?)

Have fun with the process Dub.

Peace,
Cathie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom