Fatality Off Miami Beach - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The analogy of the person stepping off the curb is a not particularly accurate. I don't think it would my place nor my inclination to approach someone who isn't in immediate danger or under my supervision to encourage them to get back on the boat. Granted, I have gotten a tap on the shoulder, then having my buddy point to two diver heading off at a 90 degree angle to the group (on a drift dive). I handed off my camera and went after them and dragged them back to the group.

Maybe it's the proximity of immediate emergency assistance that makes some US divers a little more callous to hazards to a fellow diver than where I'm diving. In Florida, a full on Coast Guard rescue is a phone call away. As is state of the art medical care. Where I'm diving there will be no Government rescue and no trauma center at the end of the boat ride back to shore. The nearest chamber is in another country.

Here, it is foremost in my mind to prevent a fellow diver from getting to the point that they might require rescue. When diving from the cattle boat the experienced divers lend a hand. It's a few minutes, maybe a few questions, a little friendly conversation, a few laughs, and the situation is resolved - common fricking courtesy and common fricking sense. If my dive buddy and I don't want to be put in this situation, a charter boat is just a credit card away.

We don't know which reports in this thread are reliable, but people who were there did report the lady was doing some things that didn't look right. And people who have been diving a while know that these reported behaviors can be dangerous. I don't want to think that the dive culture in Florida is so narcissistic that it is acceptable there to ignore hazards to life and limb, but it may be that the cattle class culture there is also a contributing factor.

Hi guys,

My name is Scott Harrell; I am a private investigator from Pensacola, FL. One of my specialties is independent dive accident investigation. A colleague and I have been retained by the family of the diver in this matter to help them better understand exactly what happened in the minutes leading up to and during the accident to try and piece together what probably happened. As you can imagine, the family is pretty broken up by their loss and, like most people grieving, would like some clarity - especially considering the widely varying accounts they're reading here in this thread.

If you have ANY information you would like to share with us at all, please call me or my partner, Jay Groob, on my cell at (617) 839-6060 so that we can arrange a convenient time to meet and discuss what you know in person. Your meeting with us and anything you would like to share will be held in the strictest of confidence. I can be reached via email as well at scottharrell@compasspointpi.com

I cannot stress enough the importance and urgency of meeting with you as soon as possible. We are scheduling appointments this week and can travel where ever you need, be that in or out of state. Every day that goes by, we lose a bit of crucial information or detail.

Thanks so much.

L. Scott Harrell
CompassPoint Investigations
(FL PI #A 2500251)

Jay Groob
American Investigative Services, Inc
(MA PI # P-330)

Oh good....the ability to pass speculation off as fact in person. What could go wrong?

I support the family in their quest to really know what happened. I support their right to know what happened and to attempt to ensure what did or did not go wrong does not happen again. But you have to know that the quote below where what you say will be held in strictest of confidence is all good until you are handed a subpoena and required to repeat what you said under oath. So if you are speculating you better keep it to yourself or if you know something you better be able to prove it or you will be spending time in a legal mess.

Scott it would be nice to actually hear what you find out so that we can actually have a investigation report to review rather than 15 pages of speculation, although I doubt you will share your report with anyone other than the legal counsel for the family so that it is protected as work product and it is not discoverable.

Hi guys,

My name is Scott Harrell; I am a private investigator from Pensacola, FL. One of my specialties is independent dive accident investigation. A colleague and I have been retained by the family of the diver in this matter to help them better understand exactly what happened in the minutes leading up to and during the accident to try and piece together what probably happened. As you can imagine, the family is pretty broken up by their loss and, like most people grieving, would like some clarity - especially considering the widely varying accounts they're reading here in this thread.

If you have ANY information you would like to share with us at all, please call me or my partner, Jay Groob, on my cell at (617) 839-6060 so that we can arrange a convenient time to meet and discuss what you know in person. Your meeting with us and anything you would like to share will be held in the strictest of confidence. I can be reached via email as well at scottharrell@compasspointpi.com

I cannot stress enough the importance and urgency of meeting with you as soon as possible. We are scheduling appointments this week and can travel where ever you need, be that in or out of state. Every day that goes by, we lose a bit of crucial information or detail.

Thanks so much.

L. Scott Harrell
CompassPoint Investigations
(FL PI #A 2500251)

Jay Groob
American Investigative Services, Inc
(MA PI # P-330)

Dude... Anyone who is talking to you is an unreliable witness. Everyone who is a reliable witness won't talk to you. Only one of the posters here had reliable first-hand knowledge of what took place on the boat, and she isn't posting anymore.

I'm sure you can explain to the parents relevant concepts like "ongoing police investigation." That should help them understand that the accounts they're reading are unreliable and in many cases exaggerated or entirely fictitious, which is why they vary widely.

Thank you all for the professional advice. I've been at this for a long while and, in my own experience, I've always found that people who have witnessed an accident like this have different stories to tell and individual perspectives. Many of them want to tell their stories because it can be cathartic - make no mistake that events like these are traumatic for everyone involved. I'm not interested in speculation; I am interested in details from those who were there. Somewhere, among all of the discordant details, lies the truth. However if we do not get those accounts, we may never fully understand what happened.

I look at diving accidents from a few different standpoints: As professional investigator, I've been tasked with a specific job and that is to uncover as many facts as I can so that we can reach a reasonable conclusion about what happened. As a scuba instructor my first priority is to teach people, my own students as well as the diving community, to become safer divers; tragedies such as these contain lessons that should not be ignored. Lastly, as a father, son and husband I know that I would want my family to have a sense of closure, which can only come when their questions have been answered.

Will I be able to share the results of our investigation? I don't know yet, that will of course be up to the family though I will certainly ask them to allow me to at least objectively summarize the chronology of events so that we might all learn and become safer divers; DAN should be involved in that process as well.

Scott Harrell
scottharrell@compasspointpi.com
(617) 839-6060

Scott, I was not on the boat, so all I can do is to ask questions..hopefully you will follow up on these :)
  • In one of the early posts on this thread, a Girl certified in Australia states that she was taught to take her gear off, and to hand it up before getting on a dive boat. In Fact, when I was diving in Fiji, where New Zealanders make up a large share of the clientelle, the same practice occurs--the boat crew at Beqa Lagoon Resort tells the divers to take off their BC's in the water, and fins, before coming up the ladder....As an Investigator, I think you might get some relevant intel by finding out if in the area where the Chinese girl was trained( assuming she did have a C-card), that they have a norm where gear is taken off and passed up before climbing up a ladder....And if she had been certified with an integrated weight BC, this then would indicate why she may not have figured out that the weight belt needed to come off.
  • I think establishing if the two girls had the requisite skill levels to be buddied together IS relevant to the case, and, it is relevant to the mechanism of Social Norms and Rules that is a part of the process of development of Standards in the major Training Agencies--in other words, if divers begin to think a common practice is causing deaths, Agencies tend to make rules to prevent this practice. The deal is, each buddy has to have a requisite skill level, to actually be a Buddy.

---------- Post added March 2nd, 2013 at 12:05 PM ----------

Dan, you and I have discussed this several times. This thread is about -nothing-.

The reason it's about nothing is that all people are doing is speculating and theorizing based on what they think are facts, but what are really nonsense, gossip, innuendo, and in some cases flat-out lies.

Days ago you said you were going to stop posting because you recognized that you were keeping going an utterly pointless discussion-which does pose a risk of damaging the reputations of innocent people-for no reason.

Why do you keep this going? You weren't on the boat. You haven't spoken to anyone who was there except for Ari, who you have told me you agree is utterly unreliable and a well-known liar. You don't have any other source of information about what happened.

The actual witnesses and people who -do- know what happened are not posting here. (Or, in one case, no longer are.)

So what possible point is there in continuing this thread? Why do you keep posting?

Amos, I waited for you to edit this mischaricterization as you said you would, and since you did not, I will have to respond to it.

You and I had a PRIVATE CONVERSATION where YOU told me of your dive with Ari and a student at the BHB. YOU told me your side of this story, and about how Ari had a very different telling of the dive than you did. BASED on your account, I agreed with you ( which you referenced in your SB post) that I did not like the way she was recounting the dive. This is where you apparently say that you and I are in agreement on Ari.

This is not true. I have no direct knowledge of this incident, and Ari indicated you ran off with the flag, putting her and the student in a bad situation. In other words, you went in as buddied with the two of them, then left with the flag. In other words, there are two sides to this story, and worse still, you are using it to disparage Ari, in a thread here on Scubaboard where it has no place.

Whatever type of instructor Ari is , Great, bad, in the middle, it has no bearing at all here, and you should NOT have introducewd this when you KNEW that Ari did not have this Chinese Girl as a student....again, this is obsfucation and mis-direction.

If you want to protect this boat, tell the truth, and say you want to protect it.
Don't try to smear another diver. Let the investigators decide IF anyone deserves blame.

I think Ari is equally likely to be telling a correct version of events that transpired to any of the other actual witnesses on the boat....And hang on...Amos--you were NOT on the boat....so what we have is you coming here telling us that your 2nd hand account is somhow better than several first hand accounts--Ari, Peter and Dennis....all saying the same thing--all there.

You keep posting like you were there, but you were not....

This thread should NOT be about Ari in the first place, it should be about how we can prevent tragedies like this incident in the first place. I should never have had to post a response like this, because of a charicter assasination.

The vast bulk of posts I have made in this thread are about how we can learn from an event like this, to prevent similar issues.... I do not know who is at fault, but I have every right to raise questions about various aspects of the trip, to assist in the future diving behaviors of everyone.

I think it is awesome that we have a real investigator on the case now, someone trained to get at the root cause of an accident like this, and who will hopefully share this with us later.

Scott, I was not on the boat, so all I can do is to ask questions..hopefully you will follow up on these :)
  • In one of the early posts on this thread, a Girl certified in Australia states that she was taught to take her gear off, and to hand it up before getting on a dive boat. In Fact, when I was diving in Fiji, where New Zealanders make up a large share of the clientelle, the same practice occurs--the boat crew at Beqa Lagoon Resort tells the divers to take off their BC's in the water, and fins, before coming up the ladder....As an Investigator, I think you might get some relevant intel by finding out if in the area where the Chinese girl was trained( assuming she did have a C-card), that they have a norm where gear is taken off and passed up before climbing up a ladder....And if she had been certified with an integrated weight BC, this then would indicate why she may not have figured out that the weight belt needed to come off.

I have followed this thread from the beginning and wanted to share my own experience in regards to the statement above. I did my IDC in Bali and worked there for a few months after. A very large portion of the vacation divers and quite a few of the students that came through our Center were from China and Japan. There was an exception for those guests and you were to help them remove everything but their mask/snorkel and wetsuit so they could climb aboard unhindered. It never sat well with me or many of the other Instructors. When first told about it and I inquired as to why, I was informed that many of the Japanese and Chinese guests expect this from you as they believe this is part of the service they have paid you for. One of the Co-owners was from Japan and our Center had remote locations in Japan that offered good deals to vacation divers which is why we saw a good portion of the divers we did. The only other time we offered this service was to those who may not have the physical strength to pull themselves up the ladder but the weightbelt always came off first. Although you did have to watch them while doffing gear as there didn't seem to be any generally accepted steps or order to the process for them.

I would like to add that whether it is an expected service or if it is part of the training taking place in parts of Asia, I really have no idea. I was merely offering a service I was asked to by my employer and the explanations for it, though vague and unsettling, came from Instructors and other divers from Asia whom I had no reason to distrust.

Just my 2 cents. Take it for what's it worth.

I don't see whether or not gear is removed in the water is significant. It's done here when the boat is a particularly small one or the ladder is not well designed/positioned, or when the seas are rough making exiting the water with gear on possibly hazardous. I've never heard the boat staff member NOT remind the guest to remove their weightbelt first.

Of course, once a significant excess nitrogen level has developed, either from repetitive diving or particularly hard core diving, it is active good practice to remove weights & BC in the water and climb up without. That is the time when an individual is most susceptible to DCS.

Of course, as in all things diving it's up to the diver (primarily) and the staff to ensure it's done safely. When dealing with inadequately trained divers all bets are off.

I'd like to board the boat with my rebreather on my back as its a safe position to ensure it stays safely with me....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom