Favorite Cozumel Dive Spot(s)? (Reefs, not ops)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Palancar Bricks and Columbia Shallow if I was forced to make a choice on my favorite. All the sites are awesome, the only one I am really not a fan of is the C53, I saw more marine life on a shore dive in front of Hotel Cozumel.

Any Palancar with the exception of Horseshoe for me. I also REALLY enjoyed our night dive at Chankanab (not sure what part we were on exactly, it was by boat, and a ways off the beach) - that site was really amazing with so many nooks and crannies to explore and tons of life! My other favorite of the week was Yucab wall - 120 fsw with a ripping current and beautiful overhangs and huge sponge, shark, turtle, lobster, eel.....

I liked the C53 - ONCE. In California our wrecks are deep, dark, and cold, so to dive one in warm water with great viz and plenty of bottom time was fun! The folks on the boat were cool with us going, and I just love swimming through a wreck!! That being said, there are so many beautiful things to see on the reefs that to do it again, maybe not....man I want to go back!

Sanddollar charges $10 extra pp for a wreck dive and although they don't specify C-53 I would guess that is what they mean.

I was just on their web site. That is under their "adventure" dives which include a bunch of Padi specialties ( ie wreck, deep, peak buoyancy etc) and includes an instructor. That wouldn't include just a regular dive to the wreck with a DM. On their web site all they talk about extra charges are for Punta Sur and Chunchakaab (aka Maracaibo Shallows). I find it VERY hard to believe any op would charge extra to do a simple dive at C53 and have yet to see any evidence to the contrary.

I was just on their web site. That is under their "adventure" dives which include a bunch of Padi specialties ( ie wreck, deep, peak buoyancy etc) and includes an instructor. That wouldn't include just a regular dive to the wreck with a DM. On their web site all they talk about extra charges are for Punta Sur and Chunchakaab (aka Maracaibo Shallows). I find it VERY hard to believe any op would charge extra to do a simple dive at C53 and have yet to see any evidence to the contrary.

My mistake, thought maybe they charged extra for it since it was so far north of their location. If you look under the "Specialty Dive" section though it just shows a wreck dive as a $10 pp upgrade.

Last edited:
My mistake, thought maybe they charged extra for it since it was so far north of their location. If you look under the "Specialty Dive" section though it just shows a wreck dive as a $10 pp upgrade.
BTravlin, you ARE correct, as they are DEFINITELY charging an extra $10 to dive "a wreck".

On the Sand Dollar website, Specialty Dives states $10 upcharge/upgrade per person. Adventure Dives states Drift Dive (normal dive) $80, Night Dive $90. I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree, but that sounds like they want to charge extra $ to dive a wreck, to me.

BTravlin, you ARE correct, as they are DEFINITELY charging an extra $10 to dive "a wreck".

On the Sand Dollar website, Specialty Dives states $10 upcharge/upgrade per person. Adventure Dives states Drift Dive (normal dive) $80, Night Dive $90. I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree, but that sounds like they want to charge extra $ to dive a wreck, to me.

Wow...I would defiantly save my $10. and stick to the reefs. You could have dinner at ElPique for that!!!

Last edited:
I dove SandDollar in August and YES...they charged us $10 per head to do the C53. I gotta admit ...after the dive I was wondering what the extra was for. We did penetrate the ship...but I have much harder wreck dives in the Gulf. I think the novelty of it is just a reaon to make a few buck extra. I did think it was a pretty cool wreck, though.

the only reason i could imagine for charging extra is that it is boring for the dm to go there.

I talked to Jeremy yesterday. His captain said he knew of one company that charged more for this. I didn't recognize the name. Heresay again but anyone who pays more to do this is dumb IMHO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom