Favorite Log Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm in need of a new log book. I don't like mine at all (Scubapro Waterproof) and want a new one. Does anybody have any favorites?

Have you considered doing it electronically? Won't get wet or lost. There are lots of options. (I just list things in a spreadsheet. My log is pretty minimalist at this point. Many people don't log at all after they've been diving awhile.)

Back when I did keep a paper log, I wound up making my own after the first 2. Commercial ones always had too much boilerplate I didn't care about most of the time, and not enough space for what I did want to write.

Last edited:
Think about what you want to record and why?
I bought a nice-ish small hardcover notebook. With that I can write as much or as little as I like, and even do the occasional sketch.
I also keep an electronic log with Subsurface.

Design it yourself!
I've used commercial ones (lousy),
electronic ones (paper is just more fun to leaf through - it brings you back).

I've designed four or five versions now as my needs changed and diving technology changed.

But same basic format: three- or six-ring binder using a standard 5x8" sheet. Some pages have computer profiles pasted to the back; some pages have maps and photos; some pages just have site, date, depth and duration pulled from my computer (because I forgot what tank I carried).

I'll take a dog-eared old logbook any day over electronic logs. Yeah, I download my dives from my computer and tuck in a summary sheet every so often. But those scribbles and marginal notes just take you back to...that day.

MS Publisher, Excel, or some log design programs mentioned in other threads.
If you don't like the layout of a commercial log, at Dive-logs.com you can design your own. I love the ones I created.

Whatever YOU find works for you best.
This is mine done in MS Publisher, with a grid for a hand drawn map and more note space on the back:
20180606_151555.jpg

Last edited:
Our shop provides their own binder and I use the trident (green) pages you buy separately. Of course you could just buy one pack and Xerox all you want, though I am not advising that due to copyright. For boat diving I leave the book in the car and have a piece of paper and pencil in a jar for on board, so the book stays dry.

This is a little bit of a tangent, but does anybody know of a web-based logbook (like ScubaEarth or Deep Blu) that allows you to upload your dive history from a spreadsheet or database file?

I have already uploaded my dives, one at a time, from my trusty spreadsheet into a package that is now glitching like crazy. I really don't want to do it again, one at a time. I won't name names, but the site I loaded them to rhymes with "Tuba Dearth." I really like the idea of an online log, accessible from anywhere and that would seem semi-official to anybody asking. (I don't know why, but my trusty spreadsheet just doesn't seem as convincing as "I log my dives here, where you can see them all easily.")

This is a little bit of a tangent, but does anybody know of a web-based logbook (like ScubaEarth or Deep Blu) that allows you to upload your dive history from a spreadsheet or database file?

I have already uploaded my dives, one at a time, from my trusty spreadsheet into a package that is now glitching like crazy. I really don't want to do it again, one at a time. I won't name names, but the site I loaded them to rhymes with "Tuba Dearth." I really like the idea of an online log, accessible from anywhere and that would seem semi-official to anybody asking. (I don't know why, but my trusty spreadsheet just doesn't seem as convincing as "I log my dives here, where you can see them all easily.")
I am sure you can with Subsurface but you might have to tweak your files into the right format (IIRC CSV data is a compatible format).
It does the online part (with mobile apps for Iphone and android).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom