Favorite Log Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lots of options - here's the one I use. agree that paper logs > electronic. so nice to flip through and remember

I’ve seen the waterproof Scubapro dive logs in the shops and really like it (except the price tag). I’d like to keep a hard copy, but waterproof really seems to make sense for me. My log book gets wet a lot.

I’ve seen the waterproof Scubapro dive logs in the shops and really like it (except the price tag). I’d like to keep a hard copy, but waterproof really seems to make sense for me. My log book gets wet a lot.
What does waterproof mean? The pages are waterproof or they are encased in something that is?

What does waterproof mean? The pages are waterproof or they are encased in something that is?
Ziplock bag?

Over the years we bought a bunch of commercial log books from our LDS until we smartened up a little bit. Your paper log book is just a paper log book. Today anyone can make blank paper log pages. We have many 3 ring binders full of our home made log sheets. They have become more condensed over the years as we realized that only a few items are of interest to us. But we do look back at them anytime we repeat a non-remembered location.

First revelation was to separate fish sightings from dive logs. Too many fish, not enough dives. We now do a set of fish/creature sheets each trip. Instead of trying to record dive by dive what we saw we use a separate "one, some, many" checklist of fish. First dive you see one you get to checkoff "one". Next dive you may get to checkoff "some". Towards the end of the week you may get to checkoff "many". Sometimes you checkoff "many" the first dive. We eventually added another checkbox for "juvenile".

This separation of inane facts lead to a dive log that is many focused on dive time (I am lazy and like long dives). We get 4 dives per side of a standard NA page. We record start and end pressure, weights (since I can never remember for the next trip), a very small box for "changes in gear comments" and a bunch of boxes that record dive time and accumulated dive time for the trip.

Record what ever is the most value for you.

Dive-logs.com can print your custom dive log on "Rite-in-the-Rain" paprer - not waterproof like plastic but way better than regular paper.

Just curious. Does an electronic log count when you are going for DM certification?

Back
Top Bottom