Favorite Log Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in need of a new log book. I don't like mine at all (Scubapro Waterproof) and want a new one. Does anybody have any favorites?

I'll admit that I haven't kept a logbook in a long time. I diligently logged about the first 600 dives in Microsoft Excel until I broke up with my girlfriend and she took the laptop and formatted the hard drive. No... I did NOT have a backup but I learned a valuable lesson. At that point in time we didn't have a "cloud" but I would recommend saving your dive log in the cloud if you can.

Then in about 2002 I logged another 200 dives or so (also in Excel) because I was thinking about becoming an instructor and you needed evidence of a certain number of dives to get admitted to the course. I managed to get admitted to DM class without this proof but my instructor was one of my regular dive buddies so a number of my dives were in HIS logbook.... LOL.

Since 2002 I haven't kept a logbook aside from making maps of certain dive sites in order to find objects again. My computer tells me that I make about 70 non-training dives a year on average. Since becoming an instructor I probably make another 70 training dives. With the amount of diving I've done the function of a log book is minimal at this point. That said, I liked the log book I made in Excel because it tracked my SAC.

R..

Huh. Apparently not a requirement. I could have sworn I saw it in the Instructor's Manual, but the Internet PADI disagrees....

Someone earlier replied that is was a requirement that has since been removed. You're not imagining things...

Quick question for the OP:

Are you looking for a paper log, a digital (IOS or Android), or either provided that it meets your needs?

Someone earlier replied that is was a requirement that has since been removed. You're not imagining things...
I think it was about 10 years ago they removed it.

I like having a paper record to leaf through and having an electronic record for easy of entry and the dive profiles from my dive computer. So I use Diving Log 6 and print out the dives on pages that go into a thin binder. I print two dives per page, and two sided printing-- so four dives per piece of paper. That way I get the best of both worlds.

I like having a paper record to leaf through and having an electronic record for easy of entry and the dive profiles from my dive computer. So I use Diving Log 6 and print out the dives on pages that go into a thin binder. I print two dives per page, and two sided printing-- so four dives per piece of paper. That way I get the best of both worlds.
Sounds like a good method. Do you write interesting notes on the printed out log pages--like how many fish you may have speared?

Sounds like a good method. Do you write interesting notes on the printed out log pages--like how many fish you may have speared?
Diving Log 6 has a comment section where you can type in notes and write anything you like about the particular dive. Of course when you print, all the notes show up on the printed copy.

Diving Log 6 has a comment section where you can type in notes and write anything you like about the particular dive. Of course when you print, all the notes show up on the printed copy.
Perfect.

Going to give Subsurface a try. My sister had all of her info wiped out of Scubaearth.com after we did the PADI Rescue Diver Course with a dive centre who misspelled her name in the info they gave PADI. They associated the wrongly spelt name with my sister's scubaearth email address. It is as if PADI then allocated the email address to an entirely different person.

After she contacted PADI about the error in the spelling of her name, they managed to correct the spelling and reinstate her qualifications on the scubaearth.com, but all of her logged dives were lost.

Quite scary how all of your online logged dives could be wiped out in a flash.

Luckily, my sister also keeps a paper log book.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom