FB posting - standards violations - how many can you pick out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you suggesting that they geared up on the boat in singles, inverted ponies and jackets, and then the instructor said 'no, no, no, you need doubles, lets get you changed out"??

Are you presuming that your scenario did not happen?

Are you presuming that your scenario did not happen?
Really I think all those pictures were computer generated by the sea monsters. But I think the geared up on the boat "no no no, you need doubles, lets fix that" scenario, and have that be fixed before the dive, is very very unlikely. If it was not sea monsters, it is worth a look by NAUI into the circumstances.

I would be highly suspicious of any technical course where a new to you instructor doesn't spend at least some time in a classroom going over your gear. Exception being referral between two instructors that know each other, and your past instructor vouches for you.

On the boat, or at the dive site are poor locations to be making gear changes.

I've seen many gear configurations over the years. Some made a little sense, some made no sense whatsoever. I've known divers who have gone to 200 feet on a single tank. I've done many dives that would receive pages of negative comments on Scubaboard. The only problem I have with the original post is that it was from a Facebook post. If you have issues with a post on Facebook, speak your mind there where the offending parties have a chance to reply. Don't cross post it to Scubaboard and expect everyone to agree with you.

Really I think all those pictures were computer generated by the sea monsters. But I think the no no no scenario is very very unlikely. If it was not sea monsters, it is worth a look by NAUI into the circumstances.

Hi MichaelMc,

I was not trying to flame you. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I thought they looked like a train wreck in the making (or words to that effect).

I think Marie's thread is a good one. I am just advocating for reasoned responses because we don't know exactly what happened. Or, if those pictures were not posted as some sort of a prank (I doubt it, but I don't know).

Be careful what we write as libel is not good for anybody.

She said, he said, fakebook said, or I presume should be used very carefully. Hearsay sucks.

Thanks Michael,
m

The NAUI standard requires that technical (Intro, Deco, ...) training classes follow NAUI Technical Equipment Configuration. The most recent copy I have is 2010. It says, with emphasis mine:

"Twin primary cylinders connected by a dual-port manifold with an isolation valve are required for all training that will involve actual or simulated decompression stops. For training that does not involve decompression, a single primary cylinder with an “H” or a “Y” valve is acceptable."
"A wing-style buoyancy compensator is required and may be mounted to either a hard backplate harness or a soft harness."
https://www.epicscubaadventures.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/NAUITechEquipmentConfig.pdf

Are you suggesting that they geared up on the boat in singles, inverted ponies and jackets, and then the instructor said 'no, no, no, you need doubles, lets get you changed out"??

Ten year old data is not what I would use to make a case. A quick internet search suggests the rules may have changed. I don't know, but I think if that is the rule it is flawed. Especially for open water Gulf coast training. I'm pretty sure with IANTD an H or Y valve, independent doubles or perhaps even a back mounted pony of sufficient size is acceptable. I could be wrong as I didn't pay much attention since I just went ahead and dived manifolded doubles during the trimix course in the toilet siphon tube, deep in the shít hole grotto in Hudson. But had I done the class in the Gulf I would've wanted to wear my normal configuration I intended on using thereafter.

quoting from a 2010 manual has bad news written all over it ..........im just saying

Finally, I want to make a point here about gear choices. ScubaBoarders really need to get off the Air2s and back mounted ponies.
What? I use an air 2 on every rig and a back mounted pony on all dives except doubles/deco gas dives.

I've seen many gear configurations over the years. Some made a little sense, some made no sense whatsoever. I've known divers who have gone to 200 feet on a single tank. I've done many dives that would receive pages of negative comments on Scubaboard. The only problem I have with the original post is that it was from a Facebook post. If you have issues with a post on Facebook, speak your mind there where the offending parties have a chance to reply. Don't cross post it to Scubaboard and expect everyone to agree with you.

The charter op and at least two of the students posted about the class. The charter op’s is the original. The students shared the charter OP’s post with comments of their own on top. One student did a post tagging the dive shop so the post showed up on the dive shop’s FB page. ALL the posts are now gone. The dive shop locked down their FB page so no one but them can post comments. So no way of reaching out to anyone unless you private message them. I actually messaged the instructor, but got no response and when I searched for his profile later, found he had blocked me. A friend was able to find the instructor’s profile.

Can anyone tell the size of the main tank the gal has? I can’t determine size. I see back mounted ponies a fair bit. They are NEVER mounted on the back of the main tank. Always on the side of main tank.

What? I use an air 2 on every rig and a back mounted pony on all dives except doubles/deco gas dives.

I have no issue with the Air2.

Is the tank mounted pony on the side of your back tank or on the back of it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom