FB posting - standards violations - how many can you pick out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is actually correct as sometimes standards are ridiculously low.

That’s something else that needs calling out

I would guess many students don’t bother reading course standards, know where to find them, or are even given them?

I would guess many students don’t bother reading course standards, know where to find them, or are even given them?
Most agencies don’t publish them, so students have to trust their instructors. I learned that most instructors don’t deserve this trust

Most agencies don’t publish them, so students have to trust their instructors. I learned that most instructors don’t deserve this trust

TDI at least puts them in the open.

TDI at least puts them in the open.
TDI/SDI also shares their certification numbers.

I wish there was more transparency in the industry.

There is just too much trust being requested/given/abused.

I believe there is a difference between reporting personally experienced or witnessed violations verses cruising the internet for “apparent” violations. I have no issue with reporting issues seen first hand but judging events from photos and social media posts, I personally am not comfortable with that. To each his own.

I believe there is a difference between reporting personally experienced or witnessed violations verses cruising the internet for “apparent” violations. I have no issue with reporting issues seen first hand but judging events from photos and social media posts, I personally am not comfortable with that. To each his own.

In person is better, but who is going to start snapping pics?

When someone posts pics of configurations that are as much of a mess as in this case, and with statements of depth, etc.., I think that's fair game.

I do plan on working towards publishing video of my own courses. I think it will keep me honest as well as get feedback. I'm smart enough to ignore the keyboard warriors whose skill level doesn't match their egos.

I don’t appreciate that insinuation. You think I’m cruising the net for violations? Dead wrong. So you think everyone should just turn a blind eye? The only reason this incident was brought to light was the FB postings. Who knows how long the instructor might have been violating standards. The attitude I’m getting from a lot of people is that possible future injured or dead students are just fine. Just MYOB.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Apparent was just the language I used in my letter to NAUI. We have a posted profile from a dive computer and a posting from the student that they went to 185. Confirmation from boat captain as to depth of wreck the dive was on. Pics of divers coming out of the water with no doubles, just a deco botte.

I don’t appreciate that insinuation. You think I’m cruising the net for violations? Dead wrong. So you think everyone should just turn a blind eye? The only reason this incident was brought to light was the FB postings. Who knows how long the instructor might have been violating standards. The attitude I’m getting from a lot of people is that possible future injured or dead students are just fine. Just MYOB.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Apparent was just the language I used in my letter to NAUI. We have a posted profile from a dive computer and a posting from the student that they went to 185. Confirmation from boat captain as to depth of wreck the dive was on. Pics of divers coming out of the water with no doubles, just a deco botte.
As I said, each to their own. I know from previous postings that you are sensitive to bullying and shaming. Just a word of caution and my own personal view.

A number of people and posters I once had respect for have really sunk themselves.

I’m adding to the ignore list again because if they hold the attitude that no one should get involved with very over the top, and public, standards violations (and the possibility of injured/dead divers), and letting the instructor go on as they please is just absolutely okay - then absolutely nothing they say can be of value. Yes, I’m very black and white on this.

The photo's and posts seem rather clear cut, unless that wasn't a class dive with that instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom