FB posting - standards violations - how many can you pick out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably not, but instructor is already getting a lot of heat from all the removed FB posts and locking down his dive shop’s FB page. Hope locals vote with their dollars.

I’ve had a few conversations with dive pros offline and I’m utterly confused by the mindset they are showing. They are of the opinion that the general public has no business reporting such things to an agency. Dive pros only. Plus, no public mention should be made of a bad instructor at all. When I asked what about warning possible students or as an example of what really bad instruction looks like, crickets. Nothing but crickets.

I don’t know how it works with the agencies. Reports are made and they begin an investigation. I’m assuming the instructor in question is still allowed to instruct while under investigation? I don’t know. What if a student is hurt or killed during another class with standards violations while investigation is ongoing?

Seems like bad publicity is to be avoided at all costs from these sorts.

I’ve had a few conversations with dive pros offline and I’m utterly confused by the mindset they are showing. They are of the opinion that the general public has no business reporting such things to an agency. Dive pros only. Plus, no public mention should be made of a bad instructor at all.

Hi Marie,

I believe what you are reporting above. I have gotten this feeling from many "pros" for different reasons. It is a clique. I am generalizing as some are straight up and eminently moral people. A plurality think their sheet doesn't stink.

Please be careful what you write. People do have legal recourse until they are proven guilty. The court of public opinion notwithstanding.

cheers,
m

When I emailed NAIU I said the screen shots showed apparent standards violations. Didn’t say definitely. Said apparently.

The pros who told me what I mentioned are folks who people would consider upstanding citizens. They’ve lost a lot of the respect I had for them.

None of them are on SB.

I’ve had a few conversations with dive pros offline and I’m utterly confused by the mindset they are showing. They are of the opinion that the general public has no business reporting such things to an agency. Dive pros only. Plus, no public mention should be made of a bad instructor at all. When I asked what about warning possible students or as an example of what really bad instruction looks like, crickets. Nothing but crickets.

I don’t know how it works with the agencies. Reports are made and they begin an investigation. I’m assuming the instructor in question is still allowed to instruct while under investigation? I don’t know. What if a student is hurt or killed during another class with standards violations while investigation is ongoing?

Seems like bad publicity is to be avoided at all costs from these sorts.

I am laughing my arse off reading that. I think we as dive professionals need to be called out for sloppy instruction. People do sometimes die during training or later as a result of improper training.

we need to clean up our act in such cases. If we are refusing to do so, we should do the industry a favor and stop teaching.

The culture of embracing mediocrity with a death grip is a contributing factor of how unhealthy I perceive the industry. I don't mean perfect divers out of open water, but more proficient. When it comes to tech, then standards need to be tightened up.

No Marie13, keep calling us out. All you non pros, do the same.

I am laughing my arse off reading that. I think we as dive professionals need to be called out for sloppy instruction. People do sometimes die during training or later as a result of improper training.

we need to clean up our act in such cases. If we are refusing to do so, we should do the industry a favor and stop teaching.

The culture of embracing mediocrity with a death grip is a contributing factor of how unhealthy I perceive the industry. I font mean perfect divers out of open water, but more proficient. When it comes to tech, then standards need to be tightened up.

No Marie13, keep calling us out. All you non pros, do the same.

It’s tech instructors for the most part who I talked to off line, or OW pros who are tech divers themselves. I actually got taken to task for saying standards had been violated as how would I know? Hello, I just finished my own tech class bookwork about a month ago so this stuff is very fresh in my mind. I’m overly attentive to detail and read more than I’m required to.

It’s tech instructors for the most part who I talked to off line, or OW pros who are tech divers themselves. I actually got taken to task for saying standards had been violated as how would I know? Hello, I just finished my own tech class bookwork about a month ago so this stuff is very fresh in my mind. I’m overly attentive to detail and read more than I’m required to.

The one photograph showed a diver with multiple fish stringers which would lead one to suspect that they were actively spearfishing for good sized fish on those training dives. Is that allowed during tech training?

Shooting a big fish in deep water can result in a lot of significant challenges that could easily be more significant than simply going 30 ft deeper than some training guideline.

The one photograph showed a diver with multiple fish stringers which would lead one to suspect that they were actively spearfishing for good sized fish on those training dives. Is that allowed during tech training?

Shooting a big fish in deep water can result in a lot of significant challenges that could easily be more significant than simply going 30 ft deeper than some training guideline.

I’d be surprised if it was allowed.

You might want to search out Cave Diver Harry on Facebook. He makes and posts videos shaming bad instructors.

I actually got taken to task for saying standards had been violated as how would I know?.

This is actually correct as sometimes standards are ridiculously low.

That’s something else that needs calling out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom