FB posting - standards violations - how many can you pick out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah but in the end it doesn't matter how many times you end up NOT dead. Once dead is enough. If you do something with a 1% chance of killing you and you do it 100 times, your odds are still 1% each time, but your overall risk of death rises to 63%.

Not qualified to comment on the odds of death from these particular practices, just saying that's the math on repeated risk.

The Instructor seems to be NAUI.
Helitrox is the third tech class, after Intro and Deco. Not sure how it would still be introductory tech.

Naui Technical Equipment Configuration (NTEC) for Open Circuit Technical Dive Training (2010) says:
"Twin primary cylinders connected by a dual-port manifold with an isolation valve are required for all training that will involve actual or simulated decompression stops. For training that does not involve decompression, a single primary cylinder with an “H” or a “Y” valve is acceptable."
The 2017 standards list that for Into, but leaves off spelling it out for Deco and Helitrox, beyond the standards intro referencing NTEC, which may have seen some update to accommodate sidemount.
Also, NTEC: "A wing type buoyancy compensator is required" And rigid plate is highly recommended.
That gear looks a wild mess. Beyond being not a wing and doubles.

4:1 ratio if deco, 6:1 if no deco, unless an assistant, then 6:1 under ideal conditions. Not clear if one of the 5 was an assistant.
Depth limit is 150'.

In looking at pics, there don’t appear to be any H or Y valves. Zilch redundancy.

The gal with the tank mounted pony only seems to have one second stage coming off her main tank first stage. Or maybe not. There is some weird hose routing on the others that makes me thing the long hose is coming off the left side of the first stage.

No wonder the deco bottles are slung across their bodies if they don’t have a proper BP/W to sling them off one side.

I’m flabbergasted by the folks who think standards violations of this extent are just fine. I wonder if the students even knew standards were being violated. Depth limit and required gear is mentioned in my TDI materials and I’m sure it is in the NAUI materials, as well.

My guess is they would happily follow standards if it was free to do so, but if they have to buy new gear, then they prefer to take chances by using whatever gear they already have or can borrow, and just pay for the gas, minimum expenditures. A lot of people in a lot of situations, die because of money-saving short cuts.

I have no issue with people who want to dive by arbitrary “standards” nor with people who don’t.
I dove the San Francisco Maru, single tank (80) with an Atomic octo inflator and join Wookie in not being dead.

We’re taking class training dives here, not whatever you feel like doing outside of class.

So again, I ask the question - you have apparently have no issues with tech instructors violating standards like this situation?

I'll admit I can't read. They definitely violated a boatload of standards then and that should be dealt with accordingly. I had assumed tdi. Someone posted this as the supposed profile as well, which is fairly telling. This only reiterates the fact I need caffeine before I internet. View attachment 555799

Now where did that come from? Profile, I mean. Somewhere on FB, I suppose.

You definitely need your caffeine. :D

Now where did that come from? Profile, I mean. Somewhere on FB, I suppose.
Anarchy scuba on FB does some pretty deep dives (pun fully intended) on occurrences like this. I'm not sure how they find what they do, but they seem to care more than a lot of the agencies if I'm being honest.

I can't find the NAUI standards other than depth online so can't determine if the equipment meets NAUI standards or not

I certainly do - but that is a separate question from whether the setup violates agency standards. It doesn't appear to violates TDIs Heliotrox standards, NAUI I don't know.

Me I'm sticking to 40m and above in any case. I'm not drawn to the deep wrecks. But if I were, I wouldn't take that instructor's course.

This is timely as I finished up a helitrox course today...

The config doesn't meet NAUI standards. NAUI standards call for NTEC config in Helitrox, NTEC is effectively hogarthian doubles. TDI would also require some redundancy (pony bottle, H valve). Neither agency allows Helitrox courses to go deeper than 150'.

I have no issue with people who want to dive by arbitrary “standards” nor with people who don’t.
I dove the San Francisco Maru, single tank (80) with an Atomic octo inflator and join Wookie in not being dead.

I don't have an issue either. But I will say that if I plan on diving a wreck like the San Francisco and someone plans on diving to the shallow part at 140 feet or the deck 165 feet, well ... I don't want to be anywhere near them. Now that is normalization of deviance.

I think I'll make sure I'm on a boat of trimix rebreather divers. I don't want my dive cut short because someone winds up having some sort of emergency.

Does NAUI allow Helitrox to be combined with their Deco Procedures class, as TDI does? This whole thing caught my eye since I’m doing TDI AN/DP/Helitrox.

Yes and no. Yes in that you can combine it with Technical Decompression Diver (NAUI's AN/DP), but with NAUI the Technical Decompression Diver course then jumps up to 10 dives rather than 7 because you've added Helitrox, which effectively kind of makes it two separate courses.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom