Feel The Power

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meesier42

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So I am poking about in Scubaboard and I see something that catches my eye. I thought it would make a good launch pad for a thread over here.

This OP starts by asking
Hello,
I am 6', 192 lbs. I have a strong upper body but fairly thin legs and am athletic. I'm looking at the Mares fins, specifically something efficient for cruising but also some power when necessary. Do you think the quattros are too much for me? Are there more than one type of quattro. Looking for open foot type.
Suggestions? Oh, almost forgot, I'm 48 if that matters.:11:

A sales rep from Mares responds.

Hi Ben, if you are looking for power, want to really feel power and have strong legs, then the Quattro Excels are THE fin for you. The Whale Tail design on the foot pocket allows for more power to be channeled down through the blade of the fin, and the Channel Thrust technology of the Mares fins can not be beat!

Huh. I seem to read that the OP is worried that the fin might be too much, and the sales rep responds that "want to FEEL power and need STRONG legs"

Bob, I think I have finally cracked the problem with your fins. You can't FEEL THE POWER. The concept of "WANT TO REALLY FEEL POWER" is mind boggling to me. I want to know the power if there and never feel a thing. The beauty of a truly effcient fin is the ability to obtain power and speed without feeling it. The only feed back of my ForceFins that I get, is the rush of water moving by me. I don't feel them on my feet, or any strain against my calves, or twist in my knees. Often there is so little feedback I don't even feel like I am kicking to get where I want to.

I would like to relay a quick story over that happened just about 3-4 days ago up in Alaska. Avi and I decided we are going to dive, the weather is crappy, its been raining for 2 days, that wind is blowing and there is 2-3 foot chop in front of the house and high tide passed almost an hour ago, but we aren't concerned, we are going diving. We hit the water and turn to the south into the current, and start our dive. Down we go, viz is terrible, maybe 10 feet at first, but we remain confident, we hit 60 feet and the viz is improving, up to about 20 feet, we continue deeper. We are approaching 90 and this viz is finally reasonable approaching 35feet. We continue south at a leisurely pace checking out the sites, I look ahead to see were Avi is heading and I see a fish coming straight at me at what appeared to be a strong sprint. I put my light on it and barely catch it as it flys by me and out of sight about a second later, then my mind retraces this event and I realize, that was just a piece of kelp, how can it go so fast?? I look at the bottom, and say to myself, there isn't enough current for that, it had to be a fish and I quickly decided to see how much current there was and stopped kicking. In a flash, I was 30 feet behind Avi and the gap was growing fast. Huh, I guess there is that much current. So I kick it into high gear and in just a quickly I am back at his side. The only thing I could think after this event was, man do I love my ForceFins. After the dive we were discussing this and concluded their was at least a full knot of current and likely closer to 2. But our trusty ForceFins (Avi in TanDeltas, me in Excellerating TanDeltas) lived up to their name yet again. Another highly successful dive made possible by the wonders of ForceFin, Bob you are the man.

Blair, sorry I didn't save it for Tuesday, but the mood just kind of hit me.

I edited out the names of the OP's to avoid too much bashing

Don't forget, I am a wimp so, this story is true, belive me I was there.

the difference is not so much in leg power, as it is kick frequency. I have found during recent pool testing, that the speeds are similar for output power (using the highly reliable and calibrated speedometer/ergometer in my head/legs), just that the Pro will have a higher kick frequency than the TanDelta. If you are really trying to go fast, the TanDelta will load up faster and require more leg power to sustain, but you will also go faster.

I think the comparision to a bicycle is somewhat appropriate, the Originals/Pros are something of a middle gear, they more spin to get speed, but you are at a lower load, the TanDeltas are that tall gear, that will go faster, but requires more torque from your legs.

For me, as a long time swimmer, in certain cases, I prefer the Pro/Original to the TanDelta as can maintain a good aerobic pace and go like hell... for scuba, I like a lower/torqueier (sp?) kick frequency of the TanDelta.

Back
Top Bottom