Fill your own pony? How often do you get viz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...Does anyone know how 12 months became the standard for VIP and what research that is based on?...

This is the study, commissioned by the U.S. Navy, that started it all:

Henderson, N.C., W.E. Berry, R.J. Eiber, and D.W. Frink, Final Report on Phase I Investigation of Scuba Cylinder Corrosion, report prepared for the U.S. Navy Supervisor of Diving, Naval Ship Systems Command, by the Battelle Memorial Institute, Columbus Laboratories, Columbus, Ohio, September 1970, 118pp.

http://www.stormingmedia.us/51/5182/0518217.html

In the late 1960s a gelatinous corrosion product was found in a number of U.S. Navy aluminum scuba cylinders at a facility in Maryland. Concerned, the Navy inspected at total 1,336 aluminum cylinders. The inspection revealed that 16% of the cylinders were corroded, many with severe corrosion. Did cylinder corrosion degrade cylinder strength? The U.S. Navy consulted the Battelle Memorial Institute to investigate this, and other, questions about scuba cylinders.

From the study abstract: "Recommendations were formulated concerning changes in manufacturing specifications, cleaning procedures, and inspection procedures to provide increased assurance that corrosion will not progress to the point of significantly degrading the rupture strength of aluminum scuba cylinders."

Here's the problem. People don't know what they don't know. And that is the reason for the education.

That goes double for some dive shop employees.

However, it is they that own the compressor, so I will hold my nose and agree that it is they that can make the rules. Filling a damaged (or dirty in the case of high %O2) tank can be dangerous and I can understand SOME of the paranoia.

In the case of this thread, however, I am the one filling the pony from my own tanks, so I'm happy to trust myself to inspect it.

Back
Top Bottom