Filmmaker Rob Stewart dies off Alligator Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't agree with ya,hypoxia is my bet
Well, you should know. You talked to the people who were there. :fear:

Well, you should know. You talked to the people who were there. :fear:

OK Pete, I'll play, how much oxygen did each have upon recovery left?

OK Pete, I'll play, how much oxygen did each have upon recovery left?
I don't think we know that yet and we'll probably never know. Stewart spent three days on the bottom with his unit bleeding O2 the whole time. Sotis took his unit with him. I laid out my reasons earlier here in the thread and then to you privately.

....Accelerated training without commensurate experience is dangerous...

NetDoc - I will not disagree that Rob went fast from Trimix to Hypoxic Trimix on the CCR. Watch Sharkwater from 2006. He was definitely diving on a CCR and always had Sorb with him. I would assume he was an experienced Air-Dil CCR diver. This was gleaned only from his documentary. I do not know what his technical experience was beyond that but I would assume a basic mistake like forgetting to close the DSV would be unlikely. IMO there is not a whole lot to learn going from Air-dil to Trimix specific to CCRs. A CCR diver with good skill sets really is learning the unique differences of Trimix vs Air and Hypoxic vs Normoxic for dil. His total experience on the rEvo is also unknown by me.

I just do not buy the hypercapnia hypothesis as CO2 will generally have different warning signs. I would assume a skilled CCR instructor would recognize them prior to unconsciousness. I also still have a problem with individual metabolism, effectiveness etc in the pack for both of them to get breakthrough at the same time. With Rob having some prior CCR experience, I find failure to close the DSV unlikely so a commonality still is probably there.

One hope is that the computers will yield enough information -- Assuming the passed out diver turned his over (Peter S.?)

I don't think we know that yet and we'll probably never know. Stewart spent three days on the bottom with his unit bleeding O2 the whole time. Sotis took his unit with him. I laid out my reasons earlier here in the thread and then to you privately.
if we don't know, and never will then ultimately, neither of us will be proven right nor wrong.

for both of them to get breakthrough at the same time.
Like I posted: two different events. One physiological and one from a mental lapse. The more experienced diver survived. Accelerated training without commensurate experience is dangerous. Take your time and learn the systems well.

In my basic CCR course on my O2ptima rule , when you first touch the bottom, you isolate the Dil from the ADV. Run Dil manually that point on. Makes a ton of sense. Use it always
Musta had the same instructors

What makes you believe hypercapnic for Sotis?
I have my reasons. I can't/won't reveal my sources or answer questions about them. No one is compelled to accept my hypothesis and I think I'll leave it that. Time may very well prove me right or wrong.

Is it confirmed that Sotis left South Florida immediately after the dive with his unit?
You know, I'm not really sure about that. He certainly had no compelling reason to leave his unit behind that I can see. However, I'm pretty certain that he did not participate in the subsequent search and that he was due to leave for Curacao around the 4th.

Like I posted: two different events. One physiological and one from a mental lapse. The more experienced diver survived. Accelerated training without commensurate experience is dangerous. Take your time and learn the systems well.
PERFECT!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom