Finally find a great mask and now I can't see....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott M

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Found the mask that dreams are made. This thing fits like they took a mold of my and built it just for me, very happy with it. Only problem, I'm getting old and can't see my computer very well. I picked up a set of the diveoptx lens that attach to the mask but have tried repeatably to keep them in place to no avail. I thought I had them attached once but the next dive they came off again. They do work well when they work.

Are there any other options out there? Has anyone come up with a better attachment system for these lens?

Thanks in advance

My dive buddy had the same problem with those sticky lenses. Kept coming off. After her mask set over the winter, they stayed on just fine. Not sure if there is a way to get them to seal sooner.

I gave up on them and sent my mask in through a local optometrist to have permanent bifocal lenses put on. They're expensive, but I consider it a safety thing, because without them, I can't read my gauges in low light.

I gave up on them and sent my mask in through a local optometrist to have permanent bifocal lenses put on. They're expensive, but I consider it a safety thing, because without them, I can't read my gauges in low light.
They can do that? I would opt for that in a minute. I have to make some calls.

I use the stick-ons and have no problem with them when properly applied. But NOTICE: there is a flat side and a convex side! I tried for all get-out to get mine to stay in place until I realized I had them convex down.

For me, the key is to wash them thoroughly with non-lotion soap. Wash the mask and wash your hands. Once everything's clean, it's a cinch. I usually let them dry overnight. They haven't come loose by themselves yet.

I use the stick-ons and have no problem with them when properly applied. But NOTICE: there is a flat side and a convex side! I tried for all get-out to get mine to stay in place until I realized I had them convex down.

For me, the key is to wash them thoroughly with non-lotion soap. Wash the mask and wash your hands. Once everything's clean, it's a cinch. I usually let them dry overnight. They haven't come loose by themselves yet.
I am giving the stick in ones one more try. I did a real good cleaning last night and per the manufacturers suggestion I trimmed them to fit the skirt exactly. I am letting them sit until tomorrow after when I will be using the mask for a dive. If they come off again I am sending it off to the place Pete suggested above. I can get lens made for this mask for $219 which will be well worth it if these will not stick.

Thanks

I picked up a set of the diveoptx lens that attach to the mask but have tried repeatably to keep them in place to no avail. I thought I had them attached once but the next dive they came off again. They do work well when they work.
Add me to the list of people who have been down this road.

I'm going to try the XS Scuba gauge reader mask (links to DiveSports and ScubaToys) and if that doesn't work out I'm going the custom prescription route. I'm fortunate that I only need mild correction for distance, so this should work for the time being (if the mask itself fits my face of course).

Keep us posted, its always interesting to see how other people are solving similar problems.

When considering prescription lenses there are a couple of things to consider as well as a couple of options.
If your mask is a 2 window mask and the lenses are removable then company's who specialize in prescription lenses can grind replacement lenses to your prescription.
If the faceplate of your mask is a single lens mask or the lenses are not removable then separate lenses can be ground which are chemically bonded to the existing lenses.
For more information check out a company called Dive sight.
Dive Sight, Inc.

I have a two lens mask and have it ground to my prescription. The bifocal part is also a magnifier which is really great. I can see all the controls on my camera.
The only down side, and that isn't much is that the bifocals don't work above water. So I still have to carry my regular glasses in the kayak to be able to read a chart or my GPS. Not a problem really, I just keep my prescription sun glasses in a dry box under a bungee on the kayak.

You'll love em.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom