Finally starting OW class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's one of the best things that I have done. I just finished mine about a month ago. For me it's the closest to flying that I will get,,,,, You are going to LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

If you have been snorkeling and are diving SSI certification then you have a jump start on those that haven't snorkeled.

They are going to really practice on a lot of what if scenerios; clearing your mask, taking off your mask completely, sudden loss of air and many other safety precautions.

It will be a lot of fun; I just had mine this past weekend and I do my ocean dives in Monterey break water on Saturday and Sunday.

MG

Well I've gone through all the class material (only the 3rd time I've done that), so I'm ready for the written part. Started swimming more in the pool, also practiced breathing with a snorkel and no mask... interesting...

You are in for a wonderful treat. Good luck to you...

Thanks for the advice.... I've been snorkeling for a few years now and been swiming in the pool... guess I have to swim 200 yards and float for 10 minutes...

If you've done a bit of snorkelling you should have no problems. Getting used to breathing underwater is normally one of the things new divers seem to have a problem with but it's no different to snorkelling.

So what happens if I get through the classroom stuff and test fine, but can't do part of the physical requirements? or can't perform one of the necessary skills? What happens then? Do I get a chance to retake that part? redo the whole thing?

Warnberg,

As long as you don't call it quits they will work with you until you develop the skills and they feel you can accomplish it.

If you enter the pool with a "what if" doubt in you mind you will psychologically place yourself at a disadvantage.

Just enter the water calmly and have a positive attitude and you'll do fine. I completed my pool dives and took my written exam just this past weekend and I do my ocean dives this Sat and Sun.

So just like you I am asking myself the same questions but keeping my mind clear that I will go in with a positive attitude and remain calm at all times.

While doing one of my excersizes in the pool I almost panicked but I kept calmed and allowed my instructor to aid me, as I remained calm everything worked out just fine and I was able to rebound and complete the task.

It's about trusting your instructor and that is why they say you can ask all sorts of questions about what certification is the best, PADI, SSI, SDI to name a few and they will always say; it's all about the instructor and how comfortable you feel with him or her.

I think you will do fine since you said you have snorkeled, that's one of the requirements under SSI that I had to perform in the pool last Sunday.

By the way, I asked you earlier what part of Tampa you are training? The reason I ask is that I have family, my mom and younger brother live in Apollo beach and my bro always talks about how nice the areas are regarding scuba diving.

MG

Thank you for the words of encouragement... My ultimate goal here is to go after lobster next season in the keys. There are lots of reefs and wrecks all over in the Tampa area. I just really want to see what is down there and get down to where it all is rather than looking at things from a distance or for a short period (snorkeling). I guess what really got me started in all this is my love for the ocean, snorkeling and my 240 salt water aquarium.

I will be doing my open water dives in one of two places... Weeki Wachee is the main place but they also go to crystal river and I think it's up to the class where they want to go.

I am planning on after I complete the class to do a few local discovery dives first. I'm always open for suggestions on where to go and what there is to see.

Thanks,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom