Finding good airfare to Roatan.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Airfare to/from Roatan varies depending on what time of year you want to travel, but it would never be considered "cheap"...but WELL WORTH the effort.

The most practical suggestion I have is to make sure you take advantage of every opportunity to earn frequent-flyer miles, whether with an airline or with a credit card company.

We are Continental Airlines one-pass members as well as earning miles for every dollar we spend using our credit card. These miles do add up...we flew to Roatan free twice last year and are booked on free flights in January.

Airfare to Roatan seems to have really jumped up lately. I flew to Roatan from Columbus, Ohio through Houston in May for $565 (includes taxes & fees) round trip. That same flight package is now running $843. I don't know what is causing the jump in prices. Maybe its due to the political problems.

I've been tossing the idea of making my way down to Roatan for some diving early in 2010! I've been getting a little discouraged while looking for airfare from the Philadelphia area. Anyone know how to get a decent price on a flight to Roatan? I'm seeing prices start around the $800 range. Am I missing something or is this the normal going price? Seems a bit pricey...
I've been going to Cozumel as my regular get away, while thinking I really wanted to get back to Roatan sometime if it weren't so damned expensive to get there. Air fares out of Lubbock are odd tho, and suddenly Coz fares doubled! Thinking that if I had to spend that much to go diving this winter, maybe I should just spend a little more and go to Roatan - and then I found those fares down by $200! :idk: So I am meeting this group as Ken seems awfully nice and their FIBR price is $100 less than anywhere else: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tr...ntasy-island-feb-20-27-free-nitrox-class.html

Kayak.com has been mentioned above; I use Sidestep.com for shopping altho I prefer to book with the airline itself - but I think the two are really the same site. It offers so many different options that you really have to play with it a while to learn all of the benefits like...
Checking fares on multiple air fare search sites at once.

Flexible date checking + 3 days.

Nearby airports.

Emailed fair alerts that you can get daily if you have a date in mind.

And so much more - including what others have found for your route! And there I saw people finding fares under $500, one under $400...!​
Well, to get those cheapest fares may be more adventurous that you want to go for as some of them look like multiple airlines, multiple days of travel each way. Hehe I spent the night in a terminal once as a young man; never again!

You can search and search tho, and while the site does save cookies to recognize your computer on return, it does not use that against you like some airline sites do.

Wow! PHL-RTB for $353 including taxes. How adventurous are you...?
2isf6hj.jpg

This $408 RT including taxes looks better tho. How far is Newark from you? 86 miles? Hell, I drive almost that far anytime I fly, catching a plane that leaves an hour earlier than this one...
5bry3c.jpg

Well, I'd rather use the closest airport possible, still get the cheapest fares, on my favorite airline, and a free First Class Upgrade - but I seldom get everything I want. I'd consider either of those approaches, altho Newark looks a lot more appealing that spending the night in Washington DC and changing planes in San Salvador both ways, but I have done a lot worse. Eh, didn't plan things that challenging but travel presents all kinds of adventures and the stories I've come back with at times. :shocked2:

Hehe, hey - I hope I gave you some ideas here. :eyebrow: Comparing prices to comforts to Cozumel can be a fun exploration. The fares do vary a lot by dates selected so I hope you are flexible but can jump on a date if you find a good fare. I also find midweek the best time to shop, in the wee hours or early morning if possible.
Airfare to Roatan seems to have really jumped up lately. I flew to Roatan from Columbus, Ohio through Houston in May for $565 (includes taxes & fees) round trip. That same flight package is now running $843. I don't know what is causing the jump in prices. Maybe its due to the political problems.
I bet the fares do go up now that news is better and more people reconsider going there, but you want to go...?
[c]
2zstnux.jpg
[/c]

Same as anything, Jeff, supply and demand. The elections have happened (peacefully) and the slow season is about to end and divers are coming back....

I just made reservations for Roatan next summer. The cheapest airfare from nearby airports is $676, substantially higher than our last trip 2 summers ago. I am waiting for a price drop. Hopefully.
You've made local reservations but not air yet? What dates? I generally shop air fares before reserving otherwise, but if you have dates picked out - you could sign up for daily fare alerts from Sidestep.com.

$676 doesn't sound bad for that far but if you're used to cheaper, I understand. There are some cheaper fares...
2njijd0.jpg

Or if you're adventurous with more time than money, overnight & ferry over from LCE after flying for much less...
205wobr.jpg

I haven't booked anything yet. I'm just looking around for a good deal. Thanks for the ideas. I did see that one flight for $353...but it's 16 hours of traveling! Not gonna happen!

Maybe during the high season I'll just stick to Mexico and leave Roatan for later in the year! Thanks everyone.

I haven't booked anything yet. I'm just looking around for a good deal. Thanks for the ideas. I did see that one flight for $353...but it's 16 hours of traveling! Not gonna happen!

Maybe during the high season I'll just stick to Mexico and leave Roatan for later in the year! Thanks everyone.
Yeah, I wouldn't go for 16 hour trips each way when I could fly out of nearby Newark for $408 inclusive. It's winter travel so weather certainly must be allowed for; I've driven almost that far in some hard snows at night hoping the plane would still take off on time, and amazingly it did. $408 with departure within 100 miles from home sounded good to me. :confused:

It's funny how these work out tho. I opted for Roatan when I saw that Cozumel was higher from Lubbock, and I hate that bag drag from Cancun, just missing a ferry and having to wait for the next one, etc.

We leave from Sweden for Roatan in three weeks and I haven't bought any airline tickets yet. I know, it's late, but it will work out one way or another:D.

I still find it so expensive from Newark to Roatan. I hope the price will go down.

We leave from Sweden for Roatan in three weeks and I haven't bought any airline tickets yet. I know, it's late, but it will work out one way or another:D.

I still find it so expensive from Newark to Roatan. I hope the price will go down.
You have tickets to Newark already and everything else? I think I'd be nervous about not having plane tickets 3 weeks in advance with everything else done, but then I shop plane tickets first. Looks like you can get $510 USD RT, depending on dates you want to travel. If those dates will work I wouldn't expect to do any better on short notice...?

308dxn8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom