Finding good airfare to Roatan.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, we don't have any booked tickets, not to Newark either.

Our dates are Jan 9-16, and I think I prefer Continental via Houston over Delta. I rather fly 737-800 than MD80 (yes, I'm a picky flyer). And I don't want to fly via the mainland in Honduras. So far it seems like there are seats left, but I know I have do decide soon.

I have admit that we also have the opportunity to fly on standby basis, as I work for an airline. But that might not be the best idea when there are so few flights.

Not sure on the way home, if we should stay in Houston over night, instead of coming into Newark after midnight. We have to stay one night in the US on both ways.

Hopefully I will find something soon that is OK.

Our dates are Jan 9-16, and I think I prefer Continental via Houston over Delta. I rather fly 737-800 than MD80 (yes, I'm a picky flyer). And I don't want to fly via the mainland in Honduras. So far it seems like there are seats left, but I know I have do decide soon.

I have admit that we also have the opportunity to fly on standby basis, as I work for an airline. But that might not be the best idea when there are so few flights.

Not sure on the way home, if we should stay in Houston over night, instead of coming into Newark after midnight. We have to stay one night in the US on both ways.

We had 5 on our boat who non-reved to RTB my first trip to Fantasy Island, but you know more about such that I would obviously. We all got grounded there on Sept 11, 2001; those of us with confirmed tickets on TACA ending up going back by way of an overnight in El Salvador - something I never ever wanted to do but they got us a great rate at a 5 star hotel and my trip insurance covered that. The non-refs left with whatever they could find. Travel is its own adventure at times.

So you want to go to Newark? Got a plan for that? Looks like you could hop over to England, then do Continental with one overnight change in Houston and a day room in Heathrow on the way back for $1095 each if you have to pay retail for all of it...

click to enlarge: ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 18 16.32.jpg

But before I try to help with alternate ideas, why are you using Newark? And is 9-16 the dates for Newark-Roatan, or for leaving & returning there?

Maggy -

We fly Continental on every trip to Roatan (About 4X/year). I agree with your thinking...I'm a picky flyer too!

In January they are flying to RTB Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. The flights down there are not usually full, so you would likely not have a problem flying standby. The Sunday flights returning to the US are usually packed, but since you are returning on Saturday you might be in luck. If you could change your dates to Jan. 7-14 and fly both ways on Thursday you'd have no problem flying standby...good luck!

We had 5 on our boat who non-reved to RTB my first trip to Fantasy Island, but you know more about such that I would obviously. We all got grounded there on Sept 11, 2001; those of us with confirmed tickets on TACA ending up going back by way of an overnight in El Salvador - something I never ever wanted to do but they got us a great rate at a 5 star hotel and my trip insurance covered that. The non-refs left with whatever they could find. Travel is its own adventure at times.

So you want to go to Newark? Got a plan for that? Looks like you could hop over to England, then do Continental with one overnight change in Houston and a day room in Heathrow on the way back for $1095 each if you have to pay retail for all of it...

click to enlarge: View attachment 69376

But before I try to help with alternate ideas, why are you using Newark? And is 9-16 the dates for Newark-Roatan, or for leaving & returning there?

When there is a cancellation, there is never a good idea to have non rev tickets. The whole idea is that it it's cheaper and sometimes it works wonderfully and sometimes you end up in a hotel room on your own expenses for several days. I've been through both.

The reason for Newark is that Scandinavian Airlines (SAS...which by the way is the airline I work for) operates between Stockholm and Newark and also Copenhagen-Newark. Newark is a good base for flying Continental, as it's one of their hubs. My plan is to go on SAS to Newark (with my non rev tickets) and then either buy the ticket to Roatan or go standby there as well. I just think that $650 is too expensive for a r/t EWRRTB, but security (as in getting a confirmed seat) has a price too.

It's just a matter of us deciding which risk we are willing to take.

Thanks CajunDiva for your reply also, and for your information about the flights. We have unfortunately no possibility to change our dates, as we are traveling with a group from the US. We are just not flying with them, as they are booked with Delta. But it's good that we return on a Saturday. The last flight look pretty open if you check it on CO website, where you can look at a seatplan. That is if most booked passengers also chose to assign a seat (which I assume they are).

So far the fares to Roatan seems to have been the same since this summer when i started to look at them. Maybe a Christmas sale for January??:D

Thanks again for your replies. And sorry if I hijacked the thread, it was not my intention.

Check Delta, They lowered their rates on a flight I'm tracking (Syracuse-RTB) was $950 and today is $860.

Still not low enough for me to purchase.

As another issue (appologize in advace for highjacking the thread) the flights (to RTB) I'm looking at have a 45 minute layover in Atlanta (around 9:00 am on a Saturday -25th Sep). All flights are Delta and I'm assuming they are in the same terminal. Any thoughts on whether this is just cutting it too close - from those familiar with the airport? I haven't been through that airport since 1981.

I don't think the OP minds us discussing other trips here. I showed him how to find $400 RT inclusive with less than 100 mile drive; that's got to be good enough for anyone who really wants to go - altho I don't know how long such fares can last.

Maggy, give your arrival dates & times in Newark if you would. I'd love to find something you'd missed, altho I too think you'd be fine non-reving back on Saturday. You also risk getting middle seats between two heavy Americans of course. :shocked2: I like advance seat selections and possible FC upgrades too. :eyebrow: Lots of give & take. And fares might drop after the Xmas madness if sales take a slow turn with empty seats left.
Check Delta, They lowered their rates on a flight I'm tracking (Syracuse-RTB) was $950 and today is $860.

As another issue (appologize in advace for highjacking the thread) the flights (to RTB) I'm looking at have a 45 minute layover in Atlanta (around 9:00 am on a Saturday -25th Sep). All flights are Delta and I'm assuming they are in the same terminal. Any thoughts on whether this is just cutting it too close - from those familiar with the airport? I haven't been through that airport since 1981.
Edit: NCChuck has a good warning below after I misread your post. Correcting my ideas on flights now that I notice you mentioned dates, TACA has flights for $389, a hotel room required both ways for one night. I flew them once and would again, for the right money.
ScreenHunter_04 Dec. 19 11.47.jpg
click to enlarge​

Last edited:

The Atlanta airport is the primary hub for Delta and they have lots of terminals. It is very likely you won't land and take off in the same one and it can be pretty long haul to the next gate. If you're arrival flight is just a few minutes late you could easily miss your next flight. I wouldn't do it personally with less than 75 minutes or so. There may be another flight later in the day however but if it's full you're in trouble.

Maggy, give your arrival dates & times in Newark if you would. I'd love to find something you'd missed, altho I too think you'd be fine non-reving back on Saturday. You also risk getting middle seats between two heavy Americans of course. :shocked2: I like advance seat selections and possible FC upgrades too. :eyebrow: Lots of give & take. And fares might drop after the Xmas madness if sales take a slow turn with empty seats left.

Ops, forgot that one. The dates to/from Newark and Roatan is January 9-16 (Saturday to Saturday). We have to leave Sweden on Jan 8th and will fly back from Newark on Jan 17th.

Ops, forgot that one. The dates to/from Newark and Roatan is January 9-16 (Saturday to Saturday). We have to leave Sweden on Jan 8th and will fly back from Newark on Jan 17th.
You seem to have a good handle on this, but I'm still looking anyway. Just used Sidestep/Kayak to check several sites. Travelocity claims they can do it for $620 or so but you wouldn't like the TACA flights down with one stop on the mainland, then a plane change to a prop at the next airport.

Continental is still holding at $674 total each. The Sidestep history says it has been in the low $600 range, but not lately...
29f4byw.jpg
All four flights look about half full. I'm thinking non-rev looks good. :idk:

You seem to have a good handle on this, but I'm still looking anyway. Just used Sidestep/Kayak to check several sites. Travelocity claims they can do it for $620 or so but you wouldn't like the TACA flights down with one stop on the mainland, then a plane change to a prop at the next airport.

Continental is still holding at $674 total each. The Sidestep history says it has been in the low $600 range, but not lately...
29f4byw.jpg
All four flights look about half full. I'm thinking non-rev looks good. :idk:

Yes, unfortunately it looks the same. So I keep on checking and will most likely go for the non rev if not anything dramatically happens. Thanks for checking for me. Most US booking sites does not take cc from residents outside the US anyway, so I usually buy directly from the airline or on a Swedish site. Fares are in general the same anyway.

Back
Top Bottom