Finding the perfect wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kate b

Registered
Reaction score
I am brand new to diving (still trying to use the correct lingo), I have two more OWs and then I should be done.

I have a question: I am wanting to buy my own wetsuit and I do not know what type to get. Do I get the full body suit, two piece with a hood attached, or do I get that separately too? Oh, the water is about 14 degree Celsius so it is quite cold.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

When I first started diving, I asked a similar question. You'll get many answers on this and only you can decide what's right for you but the best advice I got was if I needed to wear more than 3mm, it was time for a drysuit. :wink: (I work around this by only diving in warm water and once I do start to get cold, I have a 3mm tunic that I wear on top of my 3mm full suit.) I hate struggling to get into neoprene so my 5mm suit with a 7mm tunic in case it's really cold goes unworn.

If you're near an LDS that has suits in a variety of thicknesses, I'd recommend going in to try them on to see what you're comfortable getting in and out of and take it from there.

Good luck with the rest of your OW course! :)

what she said.......
try them on before you buy!!!!!fit is EVERYTHING!!!!!!
everyone is different as far as how much cold they can tolerate..and be comfortable
start with what you're wearing for your ow's and go from there
have fun and congrats in advance on your cert!!!!
yaeg

Weird time for such a question. Rent. Buy something second hand for 1000 Rand and think about it. Winter is coming.

Ultimately - try on many and select the one most comfortable. Modern neoprene suits all offer good thermal protection. The difference is in cut and stretch... and these are the things that make you comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom