Finger Spool Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajduplessis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Spools and reels are equipment we have in our dive bag and can be used for various applications. I thought I would share how I setup my finger spools for both recreational and all technical dives. I am sure this is not something new or rocket science. I also foresee that not everyone will agree with the configuration, but it works well for me.

IMG_0418.jpg

The base is a loop at the end of the line used to thread the spool through when making a tie, nothing new here. What I have added is a ball and used as a grip/handle when diving with gloves, it also add some weight that makes handling the line end in the water easier. The second items is a bungee loop attached to the ball that keeps the line on the spool when not in use.

PS: You could replace the ball with a smaller little loop on the bungee acting as a handle to pull when using gloves or clumsy "frozen" fingers.

Spool Handle.jpgSpool_bung.jpg

I also replaced all my line with Hi-Viz Dacron. I have a 100 and 150ft spools now holding 125 and 220 feet of line. I was also able to add 590ft on my 400ft Hollis Seeker. The Dacron is extremely strong and slightly negative in the water. The orange color is very visible.

Spool_comp.jpgSeeker.jpg

This configuration keep my spool nice and neat ready to be used in any environment without hassle. I also made a "holder" for my cave markers using a thicker bungee and boltsnap.

Markers.jpg

I hope someone can find benefit from this.

Dive Safe
ajduplessis

Last edited:
The wife's and daughter's hair ties function well too. I too had added a "gripper". They say great minds think alike..... how the heck did we get it the same???????? :D

The planets must be aligned.

I am currently using a Halcyon 100 foot finger reel. I love the idea of the ball, I would have never thought of that. The one issue you could probably offer an idea, is what could I use as an axle? My fingers in my 7 mm Fourth Element gloves are just too big to properly dispense the line, once air gets in my smb, it is like trying to hold onto a Tarpon.

I was thinking a carabiner through the finger hole to hold on, but would that possibly create a tanglement issue, due to its close proximity to fast moving line?

DD: Thanks for the feedback, I also struggled to find faults but was ultimately "hoping" someone could give better design guidance. I like evolving my kit where it makes sense.

I am about to steal some sidemount ideas (bungees) to better streamline my stages. I noticed that SM guys use a bungee connected to the plate to pull the stages backwards creating more chest/arm space. I really like this idea and will be trying it soon. I was hoping you as SM diver can maybe give me some more insight (do/don't) in this regard.

---------- Post Merged at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Dog,

I also considered the axle but abandoned the idea purely because the coldest water I dive is 50f (10 degrees). I use 5mm neoprene gloves with the tips of the first 3 fingers cut off to provide dexterity. I know some spools have a larger center hole specifically for thicker gloves. If I do come up with cheaper non-replacement solution I will surely post. I am glad you found some benefit with the ball.

reel stops on mantas.jpg100_0646.jpg

I like the bungee and ball ideas. I have some knurled knobs I cut from 1/2 inch delrin on the waterjet on my reels as seen above. Did not consider doing that for the spools. But will now. Wish I'd have seen this last night. I'm headed out in an hour or so to teach SDI deep and TDI Intro to Tech this weekend and would have made the additions.

BTW I like the knurled knobs I made as they allow a secure grip with heavy gloves in cold water. They are just a bit smaller than a quarter in size, about .700 inches in diameter. I still have about two dozen in a bag here somewhere.

Jim: Great idea with the knurled knobs, wish I had access to a waterjet :depressed: Guess I will have to hand-make something :smash:

I am currently using a Halcyon 100 foot finger reel. I love the idea of the ball, I would have never thought of that. The one issue you could probably offer an idea, is what could I use as an axle? My fingers in my 7 mm Fourth Element gloves are just too big to properly dispense the line, once air gets in my smb, it is like trying to hold onto a Tarpon.

I was thinking a carabiner through the finger hole to hold on, but would that possibly create a tanglement issue, due to its close proximity to fast moving line?

that is why I went the route of a "cold water" finger spool by DSS (got mine from NESS). Yes, they are expensive, but it should last forever, and work with thick gloves...

I had a look at the Halcyon spools, they do offer coldwater spools with larger centers.

Back
Top Bottom