Finger Spool Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

View attachment 132721View attachment 132722

I like the bungee and ball ideas. I have some knurled knobs I cut from 1/2 inch delrin on the waterjet on my reels as seen above. Did not consider doing that for the spools. But will now. Wish I'd have seen this last night. I'm headed out in an hour or so to teach SDI deep and TDI Intro to Tech this weekend and would have made the additions.

BTW I like the knurled knobs I made as they allow a secure grip with heavy gloves in cold water. They are just a bit smaller than a quarter in size, about .700 inches in diameter. I still have about two dozen in a bag here somewhere.

So.. Jim.. Would you like to sell some of those? Or make some new ones and sell those?

---------- Post Merged at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Spools and reels are equipment we have in our dive bag and can be used for various applications. I thought I would share how I setup my finger spools for both recreational and all technical dives. I am sure this is not something new or rocket science. I also foresee that not everyone will agree with the configuration, but it works well for me.

View attachment 132614

The base is a loop at the end of the line used to thread the spool through when making a tie, nothing new here. What I have added is a ball and used as a grip/handle when diving with gloves, it also add some weight that makes handling the line end in the water easier. The second items is a bungee loop attached to the ball that keeps the line on the spool when not in use.

PS: You could replace the ball with a smaller little loop on the bungee acting as a handle to pull when using gloves or clumsy "frozen" fingers.

View attachment 132615View attachment 132616

I also replaced all my line with Hi-Viz Dacron. I have a 100 and 150ft spools now holding 125 and 220 feet of line. I was also able to add 590ft on my 400ft Hollis Seeker. The Dacron is extremely strong and slightly negative in the water. The orange color is very visible.

View attachment 132617View attachment 132625

This configuration keep my spool nice and neat ready to be used in any environment without hassle. I also made a "holder" for my cave markers using a thicker bungee and boltsnap.

View attachment 132624

I hope someone can find benefit from this.

Dive Safe
ajduplessis

Could you post a picture of the "holder" without the markers. I love DIY projects.

Last edited:
I am about to steal some sidemount ideas (bungees) to better streamline my stages. I noticed that SM guys use a bungee connected to the plate to pull the stages backwards creating more chest/arm space. I really like this idea and will be trying it soon. I was hoping you as SM diver can maybe give me some more insight (do/don't) in this regard.

What I've been working on is the following:

Stages rigged as per 'sidemount' tanks, but use thick bungee for the lower clip, rather than cord.
Adjust the lower band 'higher' than normal on the tank.
Sidemount, as per preferred method around the upper valve.
When you attach the lowertaclip, the 'high' band and elasticity combine to pull the deco tank in tight-and-high (valve below the armpit).

That works nicely for mounting stages with sidemount primaries. If you were side-mounting (rather than slinging) stages with back-mount or CCR, then you could just go for a regular sidemount set-up (mount the stages as a sidemount diver would mount their primaries).

I'm also looking at the DiveRite 'ring bungee' method. I often rent deco tanks, which are conventionally slung. The ring-bungee approach makes sense to optimize when I don't have the luxury of configuring stages to my own specifications.

@Ulfhedinn: As requested. The design is very simple, you need bungee and a bolt snap.

The bungee have knots at the end to keep the markers from slipping off at the end. The cord is slightly thicker than the maker "guides". The boltsnap is attached very easily without any knots. Once you have the correct diameter bungee (I used 0.23inches or 6mm) things take a couple of seconds.

Bungee and snap
Holder.jpg
Attached Snap
Holder end.jpg
Ends
Knots.jpg
Ready to go
Markers.jpg

Last edited:
that is why I went the route of a "cold water" finger spool by DSS (got mine from NESS). Yes, they are expensive, but it should last forever, and work with thick gloves...

LOL yeah I guess i goofed there a bit. I sent the wife in for it with a DR smb, and that was not even thought about. I can get my pinky fingers in there, but it is a chore

I had a look at the Halcyon spools, they do offer coldwater spools with larger centers.

Being a newer diver, I am trying to get all my gear, and sometimes I think with my wallet, than my head. Thus I went the cheaper route

Just an update on the knobs as I have had a couple people ask for them. I just got home from a weekend of teaching SDI Deep and TDI Intro to Tech. I have crap load of gear to unload and rinse. While I am doing that I will be putting it away and locating the elusive bag of knobs. I moved em out of the way 3 times when getting gear together for this trip. Now just need to remember the last place I put em. When I find it I will post and yes, I will sell some. :D. I did have to pay for the Delrin I used, but I am not going to gouge anyone on them. Thinking 75 cents each plus actual postage, which will not be much since they are very light.

Unless you live the other side of this wonderful planet :depressed:

I'd be in for a pair once the dust settles.

Just an update on the knobs as I have had a couple people ask for them. I just got home from a weekend of teaching SDI Deep and TDI Intro to Tech. I have crap load of gear to unload and rinse. While I am doing that I will be putting it away and locating the elusive bag of knobs. I moved em out of the way 3 times when getting gear together for this trip. Now just need to remember the last place I put em. When I find it I will post and yes, I will sell some. :D. I did have to pay for the Delrin I used, but I am not going to gouge anyone on them. Thinking 75 cents each plus actual postage, which will not be much since they are very light.

Bag found! I have 32 on hand. Price is 75 cents each plus $2.00 postage in the US. Overseas can be sent first class mail and just a few ounces so should not be too crazy. Give me a location and will get a price for that. Once these are gone it will be about three weeks before I can get machine time to run more.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom