Finger Spools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajduplessis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The post generated some interest, thus I thought to post here to.

Spools and reels are equipment we have in our dive bag and can be used for various applications. I thought I would share how I setup my finger spools for both recreational and all technical dives. I am sure this is not something new or rocket science. I also foresee that not everyone will agree with the configuration, but it works well for me.

The base is a loop at the end of the line used to thread the spool through when making a tie, nothing new here. What I have added is a ball and used as a grip/handle when diving with gloves, it also add some weight that makes handling the line end in the water easier. The second items is a bungee loop attached to the ball that keeps the line on the spool when not in use.

PS: You could replace the ball with a smaller little loop on the bungee acting as a handle to pull when using gloves or clumsy "frozen" fingers.

I also replaced all my line with Hi-Viz Dacron. I have a 100 and 150ft spools now holding 125 and 220 feet of line. I was also able to add 590ft on my 400ft Hollis Seeker. The Dacron is extremely strong and slightly negative in the water. The orange color is very visible.

This configuration keep my spool nice and neat ready to be used in any environment without hassle.

It's unclear to me from the photos -- are you still using the double-ender clipped into the spool, to keep the line from unspooling? If so, what additional benefit does the bungie give you? (Not being critical; honestly curious.)

I interpreted that the bungee was a failsafe for those occasions where the double-ender gets loose etc. Even if the spool drops, it won't unspool and entangle you.

Any suggestions on where to get the little balls with the holes pre-drilled? I've been wanting to put them on my spools and reel for a bit, but unsure as to where to get them.

Have a look in a Habberdashery type shop... they often sell various sized beads, with pre-drilled holes for threading on necklaces...

100% correct. Thanks for answering TSandM questions

Have a look in a Habberdashery type shop... they often sell various sized beads, with pre-drilled holes for threading on necklaces...

Yeah, that makes perfect sense now that I've read it. My mind was stuck in scuba-specific mode thinking "I've never seen these in an LDS or online store before."

I interpreted that the bungee was a failsafe for those occasions where the double-ender gets loose etc. Even if the spool drops, it won't unspool and entangle you.

This happened to me a few dives ago. I'm going with this setup, now.

Thanks everyone!

Any suggestions on where to get the little balls with the holes pre-drilled? I've been wanting to put them on my spools and reel for a bit, but unsure as to where to get them.
What? Doesn't every diver already have a drill press and milling vice in the garage?

If not:

1) The little elastic and ball hair/pony tail thingies in almost any Walmart type store have two balls with holes in them already - just cut off the elastic string with no need to drill any holes in the plastic beads, since they are already there. The cost is around two for a dollar.

2) You can get an inexpensive drill press and milling vice from the local Harbor Freight or Lowes. It's not high precision, but you don't need much precision to drill big plastic beads. The cost is around two hundred dollars.

Being a guy, I think option 2 is way better since you can use it to drill and tap rifles for scope mounts and tang sights, drill tubing and metal plate for all kinds of things, stack and drill wing ribs for tubular wing spars, etc, etc, etc.

----

I like having the hair ball things on my Primary and Gap reels, but for a finger spool or mini-spool, I just tie a small loop in the end of the larger loop and grab the small loop in the end to remove it when untying from a line.

What? Doesn't every diver already have a drill press and milling vice in the garage?
As a matter of fact I have a nice industrial drill press, with a machine vise. It is overkill for drilling a plastic ball.

You can do what I did, and grab most any hand drill and drill out a cheapo bead, purchased from somewhere like Joann Fabrics or the like. I actually didn't use a drill, but a powered screwdriver with a 1/4" chuck drill bit, which goes to show just how uncool I can be.

$(KGrHqFHJEwE+glEBmVMBQBy1ETGlg~~60_35.JPG

If you want to be really cool you would chuck a piece of delrin, HDPE, etc. in the lathe and make your own ball.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom