Fins and leg cramps..any relation? Need help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have long suffered leg cramps, and the only preventive measure that seems to work for me is physical conditioning. I tried potassium, sodium, magnesium, etc., supplements--no improvement. Diving frequently is probably the best conditioning. I don't dive often enough to condition my legs through diving alone, so I hit the gym. What seems to be effective for me is cycling, particularly with the toes pointed slightly downward at the bottom of the stroke--exactly the position real cyclists avoid.

Edit: Pebbles posted a more thorough explanation while I was typing. And to give credit where credit is due, I got this tip from a Dan Volker post.

The other alternative is to change your kicking style. If your quads are cramping, you're probably not doing a frog kick.

For me it's always the calf muscle.

There are a lot of good comments above, from exercising your legs to taking magnesium and keeping hydrated.

Some divers up here have noticed the cold water contributes to cramping. My foot will cramp when diving in cold water when using a wetsuit, yet in my drysuit it doesn't.

Another factor is fin type. Split fins do not stress the leg as much as a traditional paddle or innovative fin. Several divers up here will use their split fins in the cold and different more powerful fins in the tropics.

Last edited:
Cramping (sometimes severe--even at times in arms) whether diving or in bed/chair was a chronic problem (heredity--I do the right things to stay in shape, eat right, etc.) my whole life. Split fins are supposed to help a lot. About 7-8 years ago I coincidently won a pair and at about the same time started a potassium pill daily. May have cramped only a couple of times since--can't really recall.

There's 2 or 3 versions of "electrolyte supplement" aka new and improved salt pills, e.g. hydration | nuun. These and bananas should take care of most people's electrolyte issues, if you need more than that you should probably consult a doctor. Unless you're running marathons around the equator or work where they give you salt pills for lunch.

More likely you need fins that fit, you need to work out in fins, and you need to stretch those leg muscles. A lot.

Eating less salt might help, too.

If you have access to a pool where you can swim laps put your fins on and swim laps on your back using the flutter and frog kick. I will do the flutter kick and the frog kick. When I am feeling real dedicated I will work up to about an hour and a half and 1.5 to 1.75 miles distance once a week, 40 minutes on the elliptical twice or 3 times a week and lift for 1 to 1.5 hours once a week.

Hi. This is Kathy with DUI. I like all the post replies and wanted to mention something. The thing that keeps your foot in the fin is the pressure from the strap. One benefit that came with the RockBoot was less cramping on some divers. Since the boot is much stiffer on the back, and the sole is firm it allowed the boot to take the pressure vs. the divers foot. When I was a kid we dove in wetsuits and pretty soft boots. DUI makes a molded sole boot which is softer than the RockBoot. My personal experience is the RockBoot is more comfortable to wear while diving. It does take a little more to get into a RockBoot vs the molded sole or a wetsuit bootie. A boot that has more structure might help.

Good ideas about varying kicks. I frequently do frog kicks, and at times use my arms in breast stroke fashion--yes, you can use your arms on scuba and actually cover ground slowly. As well, if you have a rocky bottom (not coral and the like, of course), you can keep moving by pulling yourself on the rocks.
Also agree on the salt thing, being a salt addict. I use a low sodium salt, but probably put on too much and it comes to the same thing. But even with that, the potassium & splits do the job for me.

Back
Top Bottom