Fins for a female with bad leg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to suggest trying a split fin, for the reasons mentioned ... they are usually soft/flexible and put less strain on joints/muscles ... I can get propulsion from mine with the merest wiggle

A good split fin will be better for her than Force fins because of the difference in the way the fins should be kicked.

What is the "difference"? From what I understand the literature for most split fins recommends the same kick style, a narrow profiled flutter, as we have always recommended when wearing Force Fins http://forcefin.com/wp_truthd.html

A
germane difference is that all Force Fin models, including our Foil Force which was the first split fin marketed in the diving industry, Force Fin Foil Force Fin have an open foot pocket that allows you to naturally power your kick from the large muscles in your thigh. Other fins, split or paddle, or otherwise extend off the end of your foot which strains your foot, arch, calf and knee. To wear a fin that hurts you by design makes no sense at all. Force Fin: Smokin' in the Water

The Atomic Split fins are Nice. I owned "The Smoke on Water" model which comes with the spring strap overall very nice for split fins. Another option if it is difficult to swim it's not really fixing the problem possibly look into getting her a scooter.

Less bicycle in the split fin kick, and almost no knee extension.
Most divers I see using Force Fins would make a good bike riders.

We do sell a lot of our Slim Fins for swim training to triathletes. The angle of attack when kicking Force Fins, swim or dive model, helps with extension -- prevents dropping the knee, which sets up drag --- bicycle kicking generally occurs in response to a diver being sold a pair of fins that are longer than they have the strength to sustain a kick against. Put a bicycle kicker into Force Fins and the problem stops. If you are one of the few remaining that promulgate the lie that one should drop their knee when diving Force Fins, please stop, as it is dangerous to suggest or recommend a diver to set up drag in their kick when wearing any fin.

"dangerous" .. "to set up drag in their kick" :huh:
not saying that isn't so, but have never heard that ... maybe your referring to poor mechanics setting up for a possible cramp?

I thought I could kick my Atomics pretty correctly by now , but while doing my drysuit class my instructor pointed out that I was still bending/using my knees too much ... it tends to roll me side to side if I kick from only my hip so I guess I don't do that ... this was/is only in the pool, I've only encountered conditions (in my limited experience) that would require strong kicks once .. the kind of conditions that your weak legged friend should probably not be diving in

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom