Fins for VERY Petite Feet & Recreational Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bearkeley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all - several older posts out there about small feet and fins, but my feet are seriously tiny...kids size 2! I'm also 5ft tall with heels but unfortunately, doubt if this can handle currents well.... image0011.png

I've been ok with my snorkeling fins the past few years but got into bad currents during our last trip and realized it's time to get big girl fins!

My local dive shop is allowing me to do a pool trial this weekend so I can really find out for myself, but with pool conditions being different than open water, thought i'd check and see if you had any specific thoughts (especially given my size) on the following

1) Tusa Solla - probably my first choice right now given online reviews....although not much out there!

2) Cressi Frog Plus - seems like it also works well beyond frog kicks but maybe a more entry level fin and maybe heavier than the Solla?

3) Atomic Split Fins - it's been awhile since I've seen split vs paddle on the board, so specific questions for the group: I have shorter legs than the average person, so I guess my kicks would normally be smaller (hence a +1 for splits, in addition to low effort), but wonder if it also means I might not have the strength that an average sized person would have, causing splits to not have enough speed/thrust against currents (rare situations for me, but really want to have the confidence)

I have tried stiffer paddles in the past and they just controlled me rather than the other way around (too wide maybe?) so decided not to consider them (that plus pockets were just way too big).

Oh - one last thing....the above fins 'fit' but it meant that my whole foot / boots would be in the pockets (not overhang like it should). --- Any thoughts / concerns about this? Any other advice? Thanks!

Cressi Pro Lights also come in XS/S if your dealer has them. Same weight as Frogs. So did the Reactions but they might be discontinued now. I used to buy both Frogs and Reactions for a grade school dive program I helped support.

They also sell neoprene dive socks that could be used to take up some of the excess room in the fins. IDK if they make them small enough but if you've got boots that fit, they could probably go over them - they're pretty stretchy. Or use them inside bigger boots.

Search results for dive socks at scuba.com

1/2 the Atomic Split Fin line comes in a Lightweight High Energy compound. I doubt it's a coincidence that one of the colors offered is pink. Why Atomic Aquatics SplitFins deliver more propulsion with less air consumption

Smoke on the Waters also generate more thrust IIRC. But they're $259 and I think longer than the rest of their line. Which partially explains the thrust.

Atomic also has a new Blade fin. Around $150 retail. Why Atomic Aquatics BladeFin

I have exactly the same problem - feet more miniature than "xs" sizes cover and having to do with kids' fins or snorkeling fins which give very poor thrust, or oversized fins (and oversized boots) that threaten to fall off. I found that if my whole foot goes into the foot pocket, the fin just didn't want to stay on properly.

Because I could find no good quality open heel fins that would fit, my LDS recommended full foot fins worn over dive boots. I just got the fins - Seawing Novas, full foot variety, in size small, and they fit very well over the thick sole boot (size xxxxs!) I haven't dived in them yet - dive trip next week (yay!). Happy to report on how it goes when I get back.

try the Dive Rite XT's in small. If they don't work with your current booties, buy some 5mm Tilos Neoprene Socks from amazon ~$25, and a pair of Chuck Tailors. This will make your foot significantly bigger than normal scuba booties and should allow you to dive those fins. They are much nicer than the fins you linked above, especially for diving in currents.

The freedive fins are tough for travel and a little awkward on the boat but my dive buddy uses a pair of Mako fins when we dive Florida and he loves them. Not familiar with the kids version but looks promising if they fit.

I sympathize I too have small feet. The DR EXTS will likely be too big for you, they just fit me in 5mm boots and I'm a 6-6.5 US. Take a look at the Aeris Accels they come in XS, they are relatively small and possibly the lightest paddle fin currently on the market. They perform surprisingly well given their size. I am able to do all kicks in them. I did swap out the silicone straps for SP Seawing Nova/Gorilla bungee straps. Given their size and weight they are also very good travel fins. Good luck with your search.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom