Fins Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim Holland

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi there!
I'm trying to find fins that would work best for someone my size, since you can't try them before buying.
I'm a 5'4" woman about 115lbs, with a weaker kick than I'd like. Does anyone have any fins they would recommend? I've never swam with fins before and just recently started swimming weekly in preparation for the open water certification.
Thanks!!

I'm around your size and I LOVE my Scuba Pro Seawing Novas. Tons of power! They don't seem to be the best for frog kicks, so that may be a downside, but I adore mine.

Ditto above....well I don't adore them, but they are functional :daydream:

Last edited:
I'm around your size and I LOVE my Scuba Pro Seawing Novas. Tons of power! They don't seem to be the best for frog kicks, so that may be a downside, but I adore mine.
Have you had any issues with the middle part breaking down?

I am about your weight and size. I have Mares Avanti Quattro Plus - love them! They replaced by very heavy, and negatively buoyant IDI Frog Fins (the ones that were made of solid rubber). I still have the frog fins - just can't let them go; however, I only dive with the Mares. They are neutrally buoyant and give almost as much control as my old Frog Fins.

Hope that helps

I am about your weight and size. I have Mares Avanti Quattro Plus - love them! They replaced by very heavy, and negatively buoyant IDI Frog Fins (the ones that were made of solid rubber). I still have the frog fins - just can't let them go; however, I only dive with the Mares. They are neutrally buoyant and give almost as much control as my old Frog Fins.

Hope that helps
Thank you! My biggest concern regarding any fins are the soles of my feet cramping (even just pointing my toes at the wrong time gives me killer cramps). Is this ever a problem for you?

Thank you! My biggest concern regarding any fins are the soles of my feet cramping (even just pointing my toes at the wrong time gives me killer cramps). Is this ever a problem for you?

1. Stretch more: Japanese sitting and doorframe ankle stretch tend to work well,
2. find fins and booties that fit well,
3. do laps in swim fins & kickboard.

I have both the Avanti’s and Novas for me hands down the Avanti. I think they are easier on my legs and have more power. I did break the flex joint on the Novas and they replaced them for free as the older ones had an issue with the joint.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom