• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by divezonescuba, Sep 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markmud

markmud Self Reliant Diver--On All Dives. ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
  2. mrpat

mrpat Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I know all our hearts go out to the victims of this terrible tragedy on the Conception this weekend. I don’t think our community has experienced this level of fatalities on a US based liveaboard since the Wave Dancer. I only hope that a reasonable explanation for the cause of the fire and its rapid spread is forthcoming so that some kind of acceptance and closure can be found by the diver’s next of kin and other loved ones. Let’s all not jump to conclusions based on early news reports and rumors.

raftingtigger and KathyV like this.
  3. KevinNM

KevinNM DIR Practitioner

The description from the the crew of the grape escape says the boat was fully involved, end-to-end, by the time they had been awoken by the incident vessel crew. I don’t know how long it took to get the 200 yards to the boat to raise the alarm, but the events suggest that the crew on watch had no idea it was on fire until a very large and hot fire was already burning out of control.

markmud likes this.
  4. Diving Dubai

Diving Dubai Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I've seen low budget Thai boats which have better accommodations.

Who would want to be in those bottom bunks tryign to get out in an emergency/

And if that hatch in the picture was indeed the emergency escape route, well words fail me.

You'd have to be very supple to bend your way up through that bunk and out, even if it were light and you were calm. At night, in a panic somewhat unfit, older and carry a bit too much bioprene..

Even our scrappy Arabic dhows are better

5. Joneill

Joneill ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    It sure feels that boats carrying a large # of passengers like this should be subject to more stringent requirements like SOLAS moving forward? Really sad that they appear to have been trapped in a tight space without a reasonably large and obvious secondary escape path?

CZS and DiveFlyDive like this.
  6. HKGuns

HKGuns Barracuda

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    People are reacting with emotions throughout this thread and that is understandable, up to a point. It seems these boats were quite capable of operating for many years without horrific incidents such as this one.

I think it best to not pass judgment or lay blame until the facts are known. Same goes for proposing solutions to a problem that isn't yet known.

Gdog, Mindless, DebbyDiver and 5 others like this.
  7. Joneill

Joneill ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Seems, then, like a lack of fire/smoke detection systems in order for a fire to get that large before any detection system was triggered (if it ever was)? Hopefully that will be addressed as part of the investigation.

Truly tragic loss of life here - hopefully, the industry will learn from it and take action to prevent this kind of situation from existing on other live-aboards!

oncor23 likes this.
  8. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

I wasn’t referring to boat layout, but the comment the boat wasn’t well maintained.

9. Louisville Diver

Louisville Diver Nassau Grouper

I've been on mixed dive/pleasure sails with two, and that worked fine. I agree that drills on egress with PFD in 6 hours is a must, pain in the ass though they may be - and that includes a discussion on fire hazards, identification of points of egress, and an abundance of emergency lighting, horns and markers that activate with smoke.

It looked like the shower room wasn't directly connected to the bunks, and was accessed by separate stairs. Am I mistaken?

markmud likes this.
  10. Louisville Diver

Louisville Diver Nassau Grouper

I'm good with that.

Tricia likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.