First BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would go with a Dive Rite Transpac, with Crotch strap, and Classic wing (60lb lift)

Yeah, I don't know who the genius was who thought opposing inflate/deflate buttons was a good idea. In any case, it's mostly a moot point, as most rec divers are putting alternate air sources on their BCD, which replaces the stock BCD power inflator.

IMHO, most recreational divers rent. Most rental gear is jacket. Very few rental jackets have Air2-ish alternates. Most recreational divers do not have the skill and experience to use an Air2-ish alternate. I personally do not think most recreational divers are putting Air2-ish alternates on their BC's.

Many real divers take airplanes to do their diving. All airlines now charge for the first checked bag and charge more for the second checked bag. I see lots of real divers who are not even bringing a mask on their vacation.

Even the recreational divers who are buying gear, real or not, are not in my opinion mostly buying Air2-ish alternates.

What is your definition of a real diver? Certainly not the ones who fall for the Air2-ish high commission sales pitch I hope!

Many real divers take airplanes to do their diving. All airlines now charge for the first checked bag and charge more for the second checked bag. I see lots of real divers who are not even bringing a mask on their vacation.

Even the recreational divers who are buying gear, real or not, are not in my opinion mostly buying Air2-ish alternates.

What is your definition of a real diver? Certainly not the ones who fall for the Air2-ish high commission sales pitch I hope!

That is why real divers should fly business class to vacation, 2 check bags, 50-60 lb a bag depending on airline. :rofl3:

I agree with you on the real divers, but I am amazed that some out there are so elitist to discount the rec diver as a real diver. None of my dive buddies waste the time for an air2 type system. A good inflator is all they care about.

Yeah, I'm considering that myself. As long as the dives I'm planning aren't aggressive, I'm fine in whatever will hold a tank to my back. But, I'd be missing my rig the entire dive and if I had the option, that's what I'd rent. But, I also OWN a lot of gear.

What is your definition of a real diver?
I don't have a canned definition, but I'd say one criteria would be owning your own gear. Passion would be another and once or twice a year is not exactly what I'd call burning passion.

I don't have a canned definition, but I'd say one criteria would be owning your own gear. Passion would be another and once or twice a year is not exactly what I'd call burning passion.

Really?

I own my own "rig" dive 1-2 times/year and I absolutely love the sport of diving. It has become almost an obsession with me. I don't think your definition fits. I know a lot of people that are passionate about their hobby but because of location don't get to dive that much. I only dive 1-2 times a year because of the cost of travel etc. I don't see me dropping my newfound hobby anytime soon but trying to work out more trips is going to be important in the upcoming years.

For starters, SeaQuest's superior designs. ... The first superior design I will mention is not just on their jacket BC's; the in/deflator unit has simple easy to use buttons!

... but it is more difficult for me to adjust my buoyancy in the (Seaquest) Balance than in any jacket BC I have ever used.

The only divers I know with bp/w bought them for the flexibility of diving doubles or because the used to dive dry. I do know plenty of instructors who like me now use BI, but most of those would use jackets when teaching students (who would mostly be in jackets).

Hello Halemano, I have no intention to bash you as I believe you truly just want to convey your view with the best intention
However, I think you should differentiate more clearly between facts and personal opinions, as well as be careful with absolute statements.

Above, I think, illustrates what I mean by the latter.

Btw, this SQTBLS.jpg is by no means a BP/W, but a backinflate BCD.
Their sales pitch usually is to combine the best of both worlds. I don't know this particular model, but I do know that such a quest can often lead to combining the worst of two worlds :crafty:

Happy diving
d.s.f.

For now I just plan on diving in warm water.

That is the one biggest reason I am leaning towards the zeagle bc. If something were to fail service will be limited. Also lets face it the majority of bc's out there have around 35 lbs lift like the escape. The 63 lbs lift of the beuchat is just at best overkill.

I would go with a Dive Rite Transpac, with Crotch strap, and Classic wing (60lb lift)
Please read the entire thread before dispensing advice.

Even the OP is aware that 60lbs. lift is overkill for anything but doubles.

Thank you,

Last edited:
Btw, this View attachment 65754 is by no means a BP/W, but a backinflate BCD.
Their sales pitch usually is to combine the best of both worlds. I don't know this particular model, but I do know that such a quest can often lead to combining the worst of two worlds :crafty:

I do have to admit that my older SeaQuest Balance, which I immediately removed the integrated weight pockets from, really looks and dives nothing like the new and improved version. Perhaps that's really an Aqua Lung Balance?.

To be clear, the new and infrequent divers I see diving in their own bp/w rigs also have a higher percentage of near surface and surface flailings than the new and infrequent jacket divers I see; about the same percentage as with back inflate but less test subjects.

To be clear, I question non-jacket BC recommendations for infrequent/vacation warm water divers who's certification lds will or did use jacket in class. I'm not saying there are not people in just that situation who would be better in non-jacket. What I am saying is there should be a sound reason, and most of the sound reasons to use bp/w are not sound reasons in the infrequent / vacation warm water/ jacket lds / just or not yet certified scenario.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom