First boat dive....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil,
Every once in a while some of us experienced divers just feel the need to pontificate! As a student of the days when instructors were ex. military, and tried their best to wash out students, under the guise of teaching self reliance I kind of understand where Walter is coming from.
I would however submit that most people enter diving these days to relax and enjoy themselves. While the op. you chose is a good one, they do cater to a large group. I would suggest that you try a smaller op. with more personalized attention for your first several dives. www.paradisecharters.net will put DM in water when req., no problem. Once your comfort level is reached you can always use the original op.
Granted, our diving in this area is not difficult, but NEVER let anyone pursuade you from making your diving more comfortable or enjoyable.
John

Nice note.... thanks John....I have committed to Amy Slates, but I WILL ask for someone to dive with the two of us.... it only makes sense....besides.... Wendy (of the dive board Wendy) as offered to meet us and dive with us if she can make it!

Again... thanks for your note!
Phil

I am also a newbie - 6 dives so far - and would just feel more comfortable on my first boat dive if there was a DM in the water. I also learn a lot just by watching experienced divers in the water. I was actually supposed to dive off West Palm a few months ago (unfortunately canceled by weather) but before booking my trip I searched for operators that provided a DM in water. (Plus - I was travelling alone - so would be looking for a buddy).

Good Luck and have fun!!!

Walter - try to go a little easier on the newbies - I understand the point your were making - it just could have been made better without any personal affront. In your defense, however, this is the first time I have had any exception to a post of yours - and you've made over 1,000 - everyone's allowed to be in a bad mood once in a while. <S>

All the operators I have gone with or gotten information on in my neck of the woods (or should it be palm trees :D ) provide DMs for the divers.

The DMs' role has been pretty much to take the divers on a "tour" of the area and point out things of interest, especially things not commonly seen.

I'm a new diver, and while the DMs did not come across like they were there to supervise or hold my hand, I have seen them make an extra effort to reassure other divers who communicate any nervousness or apprehension to them.

I appreciate the DM's role in pointing things out that I would have ordinarily overlooked. However, I would also be interested in going with a dive operator that didn't provide any DMs too - just haven't found one yet.

Have fun!

Most of my diving has been from dive boats in Florida, I'd have to say the DM leading or being in the water is about a 50/50 split down here. I'd agree that I would be apprehensive if it was my first boat dive, either pay for the service or select a different operator.

Topteck,

We have commited to Amy's ..... but we will insist on either a DM or an instructor to "guide " us....not hold our hand!
IT ONLY MAKES SENSE.......

Phil

Good decision Phil, that is what being a responsible diver is all about, NEVER allow yourself to be pressured into an uncomfortable situation. I don't care how much experience the earlier responder has, his resonse to you was irresponsible . I'll be very surprised if the additional charge for a DM will be at all significant and it will add greatly to your comfort & enjoyment, diving is supposed to be fun, hope you have a great time!

I've been diving for two years, have 140 dives, which makes a very good average in comparison to many.

Apart from diving at home, where I usually accompany small groups as a certified DM (it infringes the Belgian law if you are below AOW for two buddies to go diving on their own, and they need at least a Rescue Diver with them), I've been to the Red Sea and Thailand and NEVER encountered dive ops with DMs onboard leaving divers go alone, even on the easiest dives.

Whether I'm leading the group (yes, I do it from time to time out of sheer fun), or I follow a fellow DM, whether I know the divesite or I've never been there, it surely helps to have someone point to small critters and keep an eye on you.

Even an Instructor can make mistakes, and water is generally unforgivable.

Walter, you are certainly entitled to your opinions, but being rude doesn't help, especially not someone just starting the sport as Phil.

Seems I've struck a few exposed nerves. I haven't responded before because this is the first time I've been back to this post and had no clue people were offended by a simple statement of how things are. It was not my intention to come across as rude and if you were offended, I do apologize. I know that the tone in my written word does not always come across as I intend, but I missed the potential in this post. After rereading my post, I still don't see what would give offense.

OTOH, I stand by what I said.

"Are you divers? Did you actually earn your cards?"

A simple question to which I'm not looking for an answer. It is, however, a question everyone with a c-card needs to ask themselves.

"If the answer is yes, you don't need a baby sitter."

An in water DM is usually exactly that. A site briefing is usually very helpful, but beyond that, a competent diver (newbie or experienced) doesn't need a DM's assistance.

"If you need someone to lead you around by the hand, you need to take a real class and actually learn how to dive."

If a diver needs a DM in the water, that diver is not ready to make the dive and actually needs more work on skills and confidence.

"It is not part of a DM's job to lead you around and, in Florida, it is not common."

In water DM's are found everywhere, but it is not the norm in Florida. When float diving, it is common practice for a member of each group to be given a float. There are places where a DM will carry the float for customers. In my experience, this is usually done by operators who want to limit bottom time.

"In some parts of the world, operators have given up on having customers who actually know how to dive and provide an in water DM as a result. If you show up to many parts of the world, they assume you don't know how to dive and treat you accordingly. Personally, I resent such an attitude."

Face facts, most classes are inadequate and most instructors are incompetent. They produce divers who do need a baby sitter. This is nothing new. I spend 1985 through 1992 working as a DM and/or Captain on a dive boat in the Keys. I can't tell you how many "divers" I had to rescue, because I lost count early on. I was stunned at the number of divers who have no idea what they are doing. Most of those rescues were the result of inadequate training.

"There are way too many nondivers out there with c-cards who've never learned how to dive."

Wendy,

"I think you are way off here."

Perhaps. It is opinion.

"There are many dive ops in Florida that have in water dive masters to lead the dive."

Of course there are, but it is not the norm.

"It has nothing to do with your ability to dive and they are not paid babysitters for the divers. All the charters I have been on in Jupiter and West Palm have in water DM's. They tow the flag so the boat knows where the group is and so the divers can enjoy there div looking around."

No, it has nothing to do with your ability to dive. It has to do with the average person's ability to dive. Good divers and poor are all lumped together as if they were all poor divers. The diver with the flag shouldn't be towing it. That diver should be drifting with the current along with everyone else and should also be enjoying the dive. I've been on many where a member of my group (often me) will carry the float. I've also been on charters where a DM carries the float. Those dives are rarely as enjoyable.

"I think that it is a good idea for divers new to a site to get a DM to show them around, and if not a DM, at least have someone that knows the site show them around the first time."

Why?

Welshman,

"1. I am a diver.

2. I did earn my cards.

3. I neither need nor want a babysitter."

I'm glad to hear it.

"However, if I dive a site for the first time I would like guidance on what to expect, what I should look out for, what I might see etc."

I agree. That's the purpose of a dive briefing.

Phil,

"I won't comment on your rude and abrupt response...."

Looks like you just did. If you ever feel I've been rude, please do comment. It is not my intention to be rude. Please accept my apology.

"I was simply asking if it was a normal practice for DM to stay on board while first timers to boat diving were on board."

I believe I answered that question. Yes, it is normal practice for the DM to stay on board.

"Come on Walt....lighten up man......it was a simple question.....or maybe your mom should have called you Rambo !"

Rambo would be preferred to Walt. OTOH, Rambo would indicate a "macho" attitude. That would be inaccurate. I do believe every diver should be self sufficient. I also believe divers should be more thoroughly taught.

scubabear,

"the days when instructors were ex. military, and tried their best to wash out students, under the guise of teaching self reliance I kind of understand where Walter is coming from."

Not if you put me in that group. I've never been in the military. I've never tried to wash out a student. Just about anyone can learn to dive with all the skills so many courses have dropped IF the skills are presented in the right order, IF the skills are actually taught, IF the student has time to master one skill prior to moving on to the next and IF the instructor has patience and actually knows how to teach the skills.

"I would however submit that most people enter diving these days to relax and enjoy themselves."

Which person is more relaxed on a dive, the one with confidence and experience in different scenarios or the one praying nothing goes wrong?

martinjc,

I wasn't in a bad mood. I simply wasn't aware I wasn't going "a little easier on the newbies." I still don't understand where I made a "personal affront." I obviously did as so many people do see it.

Walter

Thank you for your apology. It's accepted. I now know you didn't mean to offend either Phil or me.

Best wishes for the future.

Philip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom