First computer -what should I buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the Suunto's myself. I have a Vyper and it does everything I need it to do. I also like the fact that it isn't huge, doesn't get in the way on my wrist, and is easy to rig up with bungee for wristmounting.

As you're in NY, try Leisure Pro. I know a lot of people don't use them for purchasing computers as there may be a question as the warranty. As you are looking for an entry level computer, I wouldn't sweat this as if one went bad in the warranty period, Leisure Pro would likely have to replace it anyway.

They have a number of units in the price range you are looking for. One I would look at is the Tusa IQ-600. Its manufactured by Suunto and is nitrox capable for only $235 for the wrist mount. They also have Genesis, Oceanic and Sherwood for similar prices. I am familiar with the Suunto as my fiancee has a Favor and it has operated flawlessly for two years and 60 + dives.

I would not buy the Tusa IQ-600 if you were looking to upload the dive log to a PC. The manual states that this can be done with the “available PC interface and software” therefore I bought one. About a month later, I started looking for the interface at my LDS and they said that it was not yet available. I then tried contacting Tusa and they have no plans of making one. It seems to me like Tusa is misleading their customers.

$300 or less....

Genesis React. Nitrox capable. Downloadable for more $$. Sound, easy to read computer. I have its baby brother the resource.

Good luck.

TwoBit

s.wright once bubbled...
I would not buy the Tusa IQ-600 if you were looking to upload the dive log to a PC. The manual states that this can be done with the “available PC interface and software” therefore I bought one. About a month later, I started looking for the interface at my LDS and they said that it was not yet available. I then tried contacting Tusa and they have no plans of making one. It seems to me like Tusa is misleading their customers.

I recall reading somewhere that the Tusa was a renamed something else - like the Mares/Dacor or the Oceanic/Sherwood computers are the same computer. So if you can figure out who owns Tusa and who the OEM is, that interface and software should work. Or maybe Tabata (Tusa's parent) is the OEM for another company and is just releasing this under their name.

The more I look at the Imprex the more it looks like an older model Suunto computer - like a Favor or Eon. Can anyone else confirm?

Marc :jester:

Suunto Mosquito.

Last time I checked (it was a long time ago), the Mosquito went for around $300.00.

Nitrox capable, wrist mounted. Nice piece of work. Can double as a back up timer if you ever go tek.

Suunto Mosquito is my vote.

As Already stated, it does Nitox, RGB based and very in-expensive.

--dawg

:bang:

I would suggest borrowing a Mosquito if possible before purchase. I've had a Suunto computer and I wouldn't say anything bad about their computers themselves.... but after diving with people who have the Mosquitos and hearing the ascent alarm go off every time they moved their arm upwards, I'm not sure a new diver (more likely to be a frequent arm-waver) is the best candidate for one. If my computer kept sounding ascent alarms when I wasn't ascending, I would be big-time annoyed.

I just went through the exact same exercise: my first dive computer, wanted Nitrox compatibility (just in case), and wanted to spend less than $300.

I looked long and hard and found both the Genesis React and the Sherwood Logic to be the best computers in that price range. Both are very easy to read (great displays) and intuitive to use. Both use a conservative and use a widely accepted algorithm. Both are Nitrox compatible. Both can be used in a console or on the wrist. Both have user-changeable batteries. Both have a reputation for reliability. And both cost less than $300 (on-line prices -- LDS prices were closer to $500).

The *only* major difference between the two is that the Geneis can have its dive log downloaded to a computer...for another $150 (need to buy the interface and dive software).

So I went shopping and found both at Leisure Pro in a console mount for a very reasonable price. The Sherwood was about $260 and the Genesis was about $280.

But I also decided to search on eBay before buying a new computer (I'm not afraid of buying used if the product has been treated right). I found a nearly new Sherwood Logic (console mount w/compass) for only $125 asking bid -- I ended up winning it for $170. I have taken the computer on a week-long dive trip already and it turned out to be a great purchase. As I hoped, the computer turned out to be a trustworthy and valuable partner.

Good luck in your search...

Thx...Doug

Back
Top Bottom