First dive at 40 meters - Newbies recreational

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just wanted to say that you did well! Yes, you took some (low) risks and a catastrophic chain of events could have had you in some serious trouble, but at the same time that's life, you did your best planning (which was better than what most of us did in our first 40 m dive...) and wanted to have a quick look at how it is down there. Now you have learnt a lot and you know that you need a reason to return to 40 m or deeper. You will be better able to judge if the reason is worth the effort when the moment comes. All the best for your future dives, and don't go crazy over your SAC rate, you sound like somebody that will end up diving a rebreather anyway :wink:
Thanks a lot. No rebreather. I find it too risky for my level of expertise. The idea of having an electronic device underwater in charge of checking the CO2 level and deciding how much O2 must be added is frightening even with proper training. Open circuit is good enough. Balanced reg when I will nore experienced. I don't like full face masks either where you can't easily exchange 2nd level reg. But the ability to communicate underwater is awesome.

What Ralphus describes and you endorse is the standard practice advocated by nearly all agencies teaching recreational scuba. Done properly, it gives the diver the maximum control over the ascent. Many more advanced divers , especially technical divers, use a different technique, but there is not much an advantage, if any, for recreational diving.

Buoyancy is buoyancy, no matter the kind of dives you are doing. While as you mentioned some techniques may be harder, they also have their place in recreational diving. I have had my fair share of fins hitting my head while ascending on a shot line to give some credit to ascending in a horizontal trim (from the sample I have experience with, myself included, divers that start their ascent by kicking tend to be negatively buoyant during the ascent, so they kick continuously). As @KenGordon already mentioned, messing vis may also happen if you are used to ascend with kicking.

Disclaimer: I was also used to ascend while kicking.

When it is possible I would suggest getting away someplace with a good selection of shallow sites where you can look after yourselves without too much risk. Somewhere like Marsa Shagra Marsa Shagra Village, Marsa Alam, Red Sea where you can either dive with a DM or as a buddy pair once comfortable. There are excellent reefs immediately there and you can choose your depth. This is literally walk up, grab a cylinder and jump in if you like.
Red Sea is definitely on the list.

Thanks a lot. No rebreather. I find it too risky for my level of expertise. The idea of having an electronic device underwater in charge of checking the CO2 level and deciding how much O2 must be added is frightening even with proper training. Open circuit is good enough. Balanced reg when I will nore experienced. I don't like full face masks either where you can't easily exchange 2nd level reg. But the ability to communicate underwater is awesome.

You should start diving with a balanced rig as soon as possible: it is not a matter of experience but of safety.

Buoyancy is buoyancy, no matter the kind of dives you are doing. While as you mentioned some techniques may be harder, they also have their place in recreational diving. I have had my fair share of fins hitting my head while ascending on a shot line to give some credit to ascending in a horizontal trim (from the sample I have experience with, myself included, divers that start their ascent by kicking tend to be negatively buoyant during the ascent, so they kick continuously). As @KenGordon already mentioned, messing vis may also happen if you are used to ascend with kicking.

Disclaimer: I was also used to ascend while kicking.
I already descend horizontally. Maybe, one day, I will do the same while ascending.

You should start diving with a balanced rig as soon as possible: it is not a matter of experience but of safety.
This one also is subject to debate. Please put yourself into my shoes. Diving might be a science ( I have actually taken the Science of Diving course) but there are many different opinions in many subjects. For example, when I took my Deep Diving course, I asked my instructor if I should not sell my Aqualung Calypso for a balanced reg in order to be comfortable breathing below 30. He told me that I would not notice the difference (so far with 5 dives below 30 and one at 40, he was right). However, he told me one thing that is even more important for me who fears my first OOA experience ( I've read that over 50% of experienced divers have had one and not only because of poor gas management): with an unbalanced regulator, getting OOA is a process. You will feel it coming as your cylinder pressure drops. With a balanced one, breathing does not depend on the depth or the cylinder pressure and OOA is sudden.

This one also is subject to debate. Please put yourself into my shoes. Diving might be a science ( I have actually taken the Science of Diving course) but there are many different opinions in many subjects. For example, when I took my Deep Diving course, I asked my instructor if I should not sell my Aqualung Calypso for a balanced reg in order to be comfortable breathing below 30. He told me that I would not notice the difference (so far with 5 dives below 30 and one at 40, he was right). However, he told me one thing that is even more important for me who fears my first OOA experience ( I've read that over 50% of experienced divers have had one and not only because of poor gas management): with an unbalanced regulator, getting OOA is a process. You will feel it coming as your cylinder pressure drops. With a balanced one, breathing does not depend on the depth or the cylinder pressure and OOA is sudden.

My bad: I read balanced rig and not reg. We were discussing different topics.
I am diving a balanced reg since I bought my own, so I do not have any input on that.

My bad: I read balanced rig and not reg. We were discussing different topics.
I am diving a balanced reg since I bought my own, so I do not have any input on that.
What is a rig?

Back
Top Bottom