First Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobshreve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a recreational diver who has been certified for 7 mos and has 50 dives. I want to buy a dive computer to begin tracking my own dives and to allow me to plan dives of my own. I have decided on a wrist computer and am looking at a Suunto Gekko and possibly a Mares Puck.

My decision points, in order, are: visibility of the characters, durability, quality of algorithm/decisionmaking (including nitrox), simplicity of use, and price. The Gekko does pretty well on all of these, particularly price. It doesn't have a back light and I don't know how big a problem that is.

My questions are:
1. Are these parameters reasonable ones for deciding on a purchase? Are there others that are important?
2. Are there other low-cost dive computers that I should be considering?

Thank you in advance for your time and knowledge.

Regards,
Bob

I have a gekko,,not backlight,I wish it did,but it glows in the dark and was told i couldnt upload to computer,but it is easy to use,,for the price.Just went thru a seminar on it and the next model up,very informative about the operations and use,nitrox and planner and simulator,I'm not the best at computers,but like i said,for the price ,,it aint bad.I have to wear reading glasses,but have reading lens in mask,I can read the dial good.I do have a Aeris xr2 console,wrist was just for simple backup and it looks cool,and again,for the price...

I think you're making a smart move going with a wrist mount. I wish I had gone that route to begin with. I currently have a Suunto Cobra. I wish I had gone with a Vytec.

I can't really comment on Mares as I don't have one and have never used one.

The Gekko is essentially the same as my Cobra, minus the air integration. IMHO, the lack of a backlight is not a huge deal. In darkness when you might need it, you're probably going to be holding a light and it's easier to just shine it on your computer than finding the backlight button, at least for me.

You definitely want something that has the ability to use Nitrox, even if you don't plan to become Nitrox certified. I didn't plan to, but now I use it almost all the time.

If you've been researching computers, I'm sure you're aware that Suuntos are known for their conservative nature with their algorithms. When compared to, say, an Aeris, the Aeris is going to let you have more bottom time before you incur a deco obligation.

My wife uses the same computer as I do, so this is not an issue for me. If I was routinely diving with a buddy who had more liberal computer, it might matter more.

I just see it as an additional safety margin.

And, before I forget, you want to make sure whatever computer you go with, that you get it from an authorized dealer. This is one of your most important pieces of gear and I wouldn't try to save a few bucks by getting one used or from a gray market dealer. Having the piece of mind yours is new and from the factory, and backed by a warranty and able to get factory service and inspections is worth the extra money you will spend.

Good luck with your decision. Hopefully some Mares owners will chime in with their 2 PSI.

parameters are good, but price is not always the number one deal maker/breaker. now, i am not suggestion a $2200 Galileo, but if you have decided to leave your dive tables and let your computer dictate your pressure group/residual nitrogen, you better make sure you buy something that will not leave you in a lurch.

consider the following: what model wash times is your computer based on? Beuhlman... Workman...Haldane? is it even important? is one more conservative than the other?

I dive a cressi EDY and love it. it is back-lit, nitrox, tough, down-loadable and priced at about $340 (leisure pro). Do your research. Get what you like, but make sure its what you want.

good luck!

:D

I am a recreational diver who has been certified for 7 mos and has 50 dives. I want to buy a dive computer to begin tracking my own dives and to allow me to plan dives of my own. I have decided on a wrist computer and am looking at a Suunto Gekko and possibly a Mares Puck.

My decision points, in order, are: visibility of the characters, durability, quality of algorithm/decisionmaking (including nitrox), simplicity of use, and price. The Gekko does pretty well on all of these, particularly price. It doesn't have a back light and I don't know how big a problem that is.

My questions are:
1. Are these parameters reasonable ones for deciding on a purchase? Are there others that are important?
2. Are there other low-cost dive computers that I should be considering?

Thank you in advance for your time and knowledge.

Regards,
Bob

I'm not sure what you mean by "to begin tracking my own dives and to allow me to plan dives of my own".

You have 50 dives so you already track and plan your own dives, right? A computer will log them for you and can give you a little infomation on surface intervals to help "plan" the next dive but you will still do most of the planning for your dives.

As far as computers...get whatever is available locally and most easily serviced/returned to factory etc. Get the best warranty that you can. For example the DiveRite Nitek Duo has a 1 year warranty. The Tulsa IQ700 is the same computer/same price and has a 2 year warranty.

Most computers now have Nitrox capability. To me large numbers/easy to change battery and a logical menu are the most important. I don't like one button computers.

Liberal/conservative doesn't matter much to me as long as you know what you have. You can always use them in a more liberal or conservative manner.

Most offer download capability for an addition price for the cable. I don't care so much for it but some do. It's nice to have a computer that records the dive and plays it back on the actual dive computer. It's occasionally useful to go back to check some aspect of a dive. Back lighting isn't a big deal to me. I just shine my dive light on it when necessary.

I have the Tulsa IQ-700. Many have one of the Suunto models. Wrist mount is a must for me.

I think you have the right idea. As long as you know the features that you like and don't like then most of the computers are fine.

I've had a Suunto Mosquito for 6 years, and my wife uses a Gekko. Both are great, reliable computers. I bought mine because I wanted the compact size. My wife was more interested in the larger screen of the Gekko.

Despite all the features of more sophisticated computers, I've never felt any need to upgrade because both our computers do everything we actually need from dive computers, which is to track our NDL time and give us data we need to manage our dives.

Both computers have basic dive planning functions, which predict the NDL time for a square profile dive in 10 foot increments. For planning multi-level dives I still prefer to use the wheel.

As far as the backlight is concerned, I find that my backlit Mosquito is acually harder to read at night than the non-backlit Gekko.

I've had a Suunto Mosquito for 6 years, and my wife uses a Gekko. Both are great, reliable computers. I bought mine because I wanted the compact size. My wife was more interested in the larger screen of the Gekko.

Despite all the features of more sophisticated computers, I've never felt any need to upgrade because both our computers do everything we actually need from dive computers, which is to track our NDL time and give us data we need to manage our dives.

Both computers have basic dive planning functions, which predict the NDL time for a square profile dive in 10 foot increments. For planning multi-level dives I still prefer to use the wheel.

As far as the backlight is concerned, I find that my backlit Mosquito is acually harder to read at night than the non-backlit Gekko.
true... when i was diving my mosquito, i preferred to shine my light obliquely at the screen to read the panel... the "backlight" was almost useless underwater...

the edy and d4 on the other hand have excellent and far more useable backlights

Jag

I use a Sunnto II computer.

First the bad...
Look for my documented issues with the 3 second hard hold for 3 seconds of back light, as well as 3 second hard hold for 3 seconds of digital compass. Almost makes it useless...
Sunnto keeps pitching it in adds and on their web site but the digital compass is honestly the WORST feature on the computer. I went more then a few rounds with thier people on this...

The Cobra 3 units now have a USER ADJUSTIBLE time out. I haven't had a chance to play with one yet but it could be the solution I was begging them to make and I know other Cobra 2 owner were wanting as well.

Adding the manual compass head is EASY to nav with though. It almost doubles the size of the unit but its VERY usable. In low vis or night I have a light anyhow so its quicker and easier to pull the computer out on the retractor a little bit and catch the edge of the dive light to read it or nav with it.

The download kit works VERY well and has a lt of extra data you can manage including your equipment, dive sites, dive buddies, etc.

The dive table is conservative (though not by NAUI standards). You can adjust it to be less conservative though to make it more in line with your preference.

It does support nitrox, and the quick disconnect is VERY handy so you don't have to drag the rest of the gear around with you. At the end of a dive I can just depressurise the line remove it with a twist and start planning the next dive or reviewing what you just did.

I've also pocked it when I did some climbing up large hills (mountains) near the dive site so I didn't have a DECO issue with changing altitude. There is a little assent meter that you can follow for your rate of assent (not only when diving).

The battery and changing it is very simple too. The official kit has a battery and a fresh O ring. You don't have to take it in to be serviced to change it. You can keep a spare in your save a dive kit and at least be able to resume computer use after 24 hours.

As far as cost, $500-$600 seems pretty good value wise. (Need to add the $80 compass head and $100 download kit though)

I bought the Gekko shortly after I got certified and I have been very happy with it. It is easy to use and the menus are easy to use. I've never had any problem being able to see and read the screen. As someone else mentioned, if you're doing a dive where you couldn't read it, you'd have a light.

I don't think you could go wrong with the Gekko.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom